diy solar

diy solar

DIY 'Chargenectifier'

16AWG is less than 1.5mm2, I wouldn't put 10A on it, let alone 40A.

6mm2 for 40A is a gamble (depending if PVC/XLPE Insulation and Installation Conditions among other Things), I would just take 10mm2 or, since I never use that size, standardize to 16mm2 since that's the next size I commonly use.

So probably AWG8 or AWG7 ...
I was using 16AWG on the AC, ~20A
I knew it was a bad idea when I grabbed it out of the pile, it was the only thing I could find that had an end on it.... It's been replaced (temporarily ) with 12AWG silicone insulation and a new cord end.
The 10AWG on the DC side is marine rated.

When I get everything wired up permanently I'm going to use 10AWG on the AC side and 6AWG or 8AWG on the DC side.

I'll be using it primarily with the 120V inverter generator in the winter but could also use the big noisy 240V generator.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was using 16AWG on the AC, ~20A
I knew it was a bad idea when I grabbed it out of the pile, it was the only thing I could find that had an end on it.... It's been replaced (temporarily ) with 12AWG silicone insulation and a new cord end.
The 10AWG on the DC side is marine rated.

When I get everything wired up permanently I'm going to use 10AWG on the AC side and 6AWG or 8AWG on the DC side.

I'll be using it primarily with the 120V inverter generator in the winter but could also use the big noisy 240V generator.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
The 3000W version r48-3000e3 should be able to do 50A actually.

Did you get another Version ? Or you limited via Software to 40A DC output (or Input Current/Power Limited) ?

The 3000W version r48-3000e3 should be able to do 50A actually.

Did you get another Version ? Or you limited via Software to 40A DC output (or Input Current/Power Limited) ?
I'm input power limited currently, I didn't expect 40A with 120VAC, I was quite happy and figured I'd only see around 25A.

Thanks for verifying, I was figuring I'd see around 50A with 240VAC.

I'm input power limited currently, I didn't expect 40A with 120VAC, I was quite happy and figured I'd only see around 25A.

Thanks for verifying, I was figuring I'd see around 50A with 240VAC.
With the wires you have in your circuit, it might simply be a case of Ohm's Law ;) .

If your current is BELOW 50A, then the Charger is in Voltage Control mode. That's the case near the Top of the Charge Curve OR if your Wire/Connection Resistance is quite high. Otherwise, the charger would be in Current Control mode at 50A and not moving from there.

As a reference example I have temporary Cabling in my Garage (2 x 16mm2 in parallel on each Polarity, approx 10 meters Length, for each Battery and for each Inverter). Charger is single 16mm2 Cable.

With the Charging Voltage of 55.3 VDC set by the Inverter, I barely can exceed 60A / Battery. I'll never reach 100A / Battery because the voltage drop (at 100A) is simply too much. And the Batteries are roughly 54 V-ish most of the Time.

I tried a short-term Experiment: increase the Charge Voltage to 56.0 VDC. Then I see 100 A. Of course that needs much better Software Control near the end of the Charge Curve, so I went immediately back to 55.3 VDC.

So if you CANNOT reach the 50A, one Thing to check is: make your Schematic, draw your Wires, calculate the Resistance of each Path and check the Delta Voltage between Battery and Charger/Inverter. Changes is you'll find that there is just NOT enough Voltage Difference provided by the Charger/Inverter to compensate for the High-ish Resistance of your Cables/Connections. NOT necessarily a Bad Connection (although it could also be).

With the wires you have in your circuit, it might simply be a case of Ohm's Law ;) .

If your current is BELOW 50A, then the Charger is in Voltage Control mode. That's the case near the Top of the Charge Curve OR if your Wire/Connection Resistance is quite high. Otherwise, the charger would be in Current Control mode at 50A and not moving from there.

As a reference example I have temporary Cabling in my Garage (2 x 16mm2 in parallel on each Polarity, approx 10 meters Length, for each Battery and for each Inverter). Charger is single 16mm2 Cable.

With the Charging Voltage of 55.3 VDC set by the Inverter, I barely can exceed 60A / Battery. I'll never reach 100A / Battery because the voltage drop (at 100A) is simply too much. And the Batteries are roughly 54 V-ish most of the Time.

I tried a short-term Experiment: increase the Charge Voltage to 56.0 VDC. Then I see 100 A. Of course that needs much better Software Control near the end of the Charge Curve, so I went immediately back to 55.3 VDC.

So if you CANNOT reach the 50A, one Thing to check is: make your Schematic, draw your Wires, calculate the Resistance of each Path and check the Delta Voltage between Battery and Charger/Inverter. Changes is you'll find that there is just NOT enough Voltage Difference provided by the Charger/Inverter to compensate for the High-ish Resistance of your Cables/Connections. NOT necessarily a Bad Connection (although it could also be).
Thank you.
That makes sense, 2 years ago my head would have been spinning, what an amazing forum.

Thank you.
That makes sense, 2 years ago my head would have been spinning, what an amazing forum.
At the end of the Day, Power Electronics is just Ohms Law (although using Complex Impedances instead of Resistances) as well as Kirchoff's 2 Laws (Sum of Voltages around a Loop = 0V and Sum of Currents at a Node = 0A) plus maybe how you calculate Power and Energy (P = U*I*cops(phi) and E = integral of P). It can get VERY Complicated (and Complex Numbers) with several equations and Variables, but it's still quite simple in Terms of Fundamentals.

Essentially with these 3-5 Laws you can analyze Any Circuit in Power Electronics. Start Simple. Draw your Diagram. Mark Current and Voltages. And take it from there. I'm not saying it's always easy and you definitively will make mistakes (especially on the +/- SIGN) or over-simply at the beginning, put stuff in parallel except of series etc. But it's something that everybody can understand.

When you go into Analytical or Finite elements analysis on Electromagnetic Fields, RF, etc, then it's a different Thing with Faradays Law, near/far Field, etc :ROFLMAO: .

@42OhmsPA: by the way, you "expected" to be limited to 25A ... Unless you set the limitation in software, the Limit is going to be determined based on the Voltage Difference and the Cabling/Connection Resistance.

Essentially: you need Volts to push Amps ;) .

And if your AC 120V Grid or Generator is limited to a lower Rating that what you are pulling, it might get damaged or the Breaker there (hoping that you have one !) would trip, after a while (hopefully). It will NOT limit what the Charger can pull (minus some limitation on e.g. the Inrush Current at startup to charge Capacitors, but that's a very short term Event).

The Limit is given by a) Software Regulation (if any) and b) The System Impedance/Resistance. If a Protection kicks in at a later stage (e.g. Breaker tripping or Fuse melting), that's a separate issue. It's not limiting you in the short-medium Term (unless you have a short-circuit).

Key Point: Limit != Protection. If Protection << Limit you get nuisance trip. if Protection >> Limit, you'll never Trip. It's a whole Compromise and Coordination Discussion that needs to be done on System Level.

Another piece arrived. Fits the back of the flatpack nicely.
I would love to fab a nice enclosure for it, but I have no skills or tools to do so, so it will likely live bolted to the side of my battery shelf in some form or another.

View attachment 209927
View attachment 209930

Now just waiting for the control board/display.
It actually looks way nicer than the Emerson PCB, especially with Regards to the CANBus connection (but also the Power Terminals).

I bought a few terminals/pins for the CANbus Connection for the Emerson, but still need to test if they work as expected.

It's definitively easier to have a VIA to put some Header through, rather than just a PAD on the Emerson.

Hope your AC N/L/PE terminals are properly Insulated though ...

@42OhmsPA: by the way, you "expected" to be limited to 25A ... Unless you set the limitation in software, the Limit is going to be determined based on the Voltage Difference and the Cabling/Connection Resistance.

Essentially: you need Volts to push Amps ;) .

And if your AC 120V Grid or Generator is limited to a lower Rating that what you are pulling, it might get damaged or the Breaker there (hoping that you have one !) would trip, after a while (hopefully). It will NOT limit what the Charger can pull (minus some limitation on e.g. the Inrush Current at startup to charge Capacitors, but that's a very short term Event).

The Limit is given by a) Software Regulation (if any) and b) The System Impedance/Resistance. If a Protection kicks in at a later stage (e.g. Breaker tripping or Fuse melting), that's a separate issue. It's not limiting you in the short-medium Term (unless you have a short-circuit).

Key Point: Limit != Protection. If Protection << Limit you get nuisance trip. if Protection >> Limit, you'll never Trip. It's a whole Compromise and Coordination Discussion that needs to be done on System Level.
Thank you for all the help and explanations.

Yes, the AC side was protected with a breaker.
I need to build out a box with some DIN rail breakers for additional protection when I'm charging from the generator.

I also need to re-read the thread and get communication setup so I can make adjustments and tell the Emerson what to do.

It's all a journey towards eventually being off the grid on top of a mountain somewhere.

diy solar

diy solar
Back