diy solar

diy solar

DIYing ground mount solar panels in Michigan, the mount itself needs to pass inspection?

doox00

I am building a ground mount for my solar panels in Michigan, does anyone know if the mount itself needs to pass inspection? I have the permits for the ground mount and the roof mount panels (separate permits) but I am unsure if they are going to be checking just the electrical for each or if the mount/structure will be checked as well. I am using a commercial mount for the roof mounted panels (from signature solar) but want to diy the ground mount panels and before I spend the money and do all the work I need to know if that is okay to do in Michigan. Thanks all.

I am building a ground mount for my solar panels in Michigan, does anyone know if the mount itself needs to pass inspection? I have the permits for the ground mount and the roof mount panels (separate permits) but I am unsure if they are going to be checking just the electrical for each or if the mount/structure will be checked as well. I am using a commercial mount for the roof mounted panels (from signature solar) but want to diy the ground mount panels and before I spend the money and do all the work I need to know if that is okay to do in Michigan. Thanks all.
Probably depends on where you are in Michigan. Most likely yes, they will want a structural / engineering review of the ground mount.

In rural part of Jackson county. Most of the rural inspectors are pretty cooperative. When I went to pull the permit for my solar the electrical inspector told me with a very long face that anything solar has to have a license electrician pull the permit. Unfortunately that guy semi retired (went from inspecting 6 townships to 1) so we got a new inspector. The electrician told him I'd done most of the work, but he told us that if the electrician was happy with what I'd done that was good enough for him.

So meet up with the inspector and ask what he wants to see.

I'm in Clare County and the township where I live doesn't have a Zoning Ordnance. So pretty easy sailing here.

Some like to see the footing depth before concrete, at least on the Buildings side. I'd fight the required professional ideal though. Our codes are from the State and that additional rule isn't State wide.

Some new permit fees where introduced this year specifically for solar.
1000007617.png

I'm in Clare County and the township where I live doesn't have a Zoning Ordnance. So pretty easy sailing here.

Some like to see the footing depth before concrete, at least on the Buildings side. I'd fight the required professional ideal though. Our codes are from the State and that additional rule isn't State wide.

Some new permit fees where introduced this year specifically for solar.
View attachment 225310

I am in Ronald township and they do not have any zoning ordinance either from my understanding, not sure what that means exactly though lol.

I’m in rural Ingram County. My township required a zoning ordinance which consisted of our township supervisor and neighbor coming by and making sure the panels were in the backyard and 20’ from the property line. That was it.

I pulled two electrical permits which the State administers. One for the batteries and inverters . Done and passed. And one for the panels which is still in progress.

I’m in rural Ingram County. My township required a zoning ordinance which consisted of our township supervisor and neighbor coming by and making sure the panels were in the backyard and 20’ from the property line. That was it.

I pulled two electrical permits which the State administers. One for the batteries and inverters . Done and passed. And one for the panels which is still in progress.

Okay, good to know. I will see what the inspector says on Monday assuming he calls me back. I did not know I would need separate permits for the inverters and batteries too. So that would be 5 permits total for me then if so. I have an electrician doing all the AC stuff (moving service location, a few panels, 250' of buried line to the house from the solar shed and another to the pole barn etc), he is pulling that permit and doing that work, I am going to do all the rest.

I did not know I would need separate permits for the inverters and batteries too
Sorry for the confusion that caused that statement. I only needed separate permits because of timing. I wanted my inverters and batteries inspected this winter, well before I planned, purchased and installed my panels. So it was my choice, not a requirement.

diy solar

diy solar
Back