diy solar

diy solar

Do I fix my Trace SW5548 or purchase a new Victron Quattro 48/5000 or EG4 6000XP or a Growatt 5kW

Jake59

Well my SW5548 finally let me down after 20+ years of faithful service. My main suspicion is the buttons on the HMI or faulty. The interface window is full of just random characters and the relays are going crazy in the back. The unit is in pretty good shape as it did not get "smoked" with and over current issues.
But now I must choose is it time to get into some 2024 technology. Will these new units have the same longevity as my old Trace?

So as my subject line states, "Do I fix my Trace SW5548 or purchase a new Victron Quattro 48/5000 or EG4 6000XP or a Growatt 5kW"

I'm completely off-grid with 1200w solar and was planning a DIY 304ah LiFePO4 battery replacement to my aging FLA forklift thus my heavy reading here on this fantastic diy forum.

I wouldn’t get a Quattro unless I got the severely discounted 48/10000 120 from altE for 2300 bucks.
Otherwise I’d just get 5kva Multiplus ii and call it good.

Second id go with the eg4

Alternatively, I’ve seen a good handful of new or like new XW+ 6848s for under 2500 lately, might be the easiest and most robust replacement to your existing trace/xantrax/schneider

It's arguable that the Trace units are among the best EVER made.

IMHO, 2024 tech is not significantly improved in terms of longevity and off-grid features.

I would make a reasonable attempt to repair the Trace - research into similar occurrences, disconnect the interface and see if the relay shenanigans go away... maybe even replace the interface.

I have two Quattro 48/5kVA, but I would opt for the Multiplus-II 48/5kVA if I had to do it over again. Cheaper and UL approved. The second AC input isn't worth the premium.

Sorry I was looking at the Quattro 48/5kVA as I didn't see and MP II config at 48/5k 60hz I was wrong. There is a local vendor for the Victron Multi-Plus II 48/5000 120 volt looks like a great unit but unlike the similar sized EG4 it does not incorporate any MPPT solar controller. So at $200 more ($1500 v $1700) I still need to wire in the additional MPPT solar charge controller. The EG4 looks like a very clean install but I would rather like knowing it will give me good service for the next 20-25 years like the Trace did.

Last edited:
OK pulled the cover off and #$$&#&@@ damn mice POOP!

I have now cleaned the board and now allowing to dry. There does not appear to be any deformation (i.e. heat) to any of the IC's or any other components on the board. And even more unusual is that they didn't eat any wiring or insulation.

So what are my odds she lights up like new? If not, is there not a tech in Redmond OR that works on these?
IMG_6631.jpgIMG_6632.jpgIMG_6631.jpgIMG_6631.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6633.jpg
    IMG_6633.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 4
Sorry I was looking at the Quattro 48/5kVA as I didn't see and MP II config at 48/5k 60hz I was wrong. There is a local vendor for the Victron Multi-Plus II 48/5000 120 volt looks like a great unit but unlike the similar sized EG4 it does not incorporate any MPPT solar controller. So at $200 more ($1500 v $1700) I still need to wire in the additional MPPT solar charge controller. The EG4 looks like a very clean install but I would rather like knowing it will give me good service for the next 20-25 years like the Trace did.

The new EG4 units are made by Lux, which is at the high end of the Chinese market, BUT they aren't a Trace, and they aren't a Victron.

Why change out your controller? Your Trace doesn't have one built in. Why combine units into a single point of failure if you're worried about reliability?

Toothbrush and electrical contact cleaner... I have my fingers crossed for you. IMHO, your best option is to stick with what ain't actually broke.

As Gene Wilder said in Young Frankenstein "It is Alive!". I was able to procure a DC power supply and not that I have any load on the Trace inverter it did light upand allow me to go through all the user menu screens.
the first photo is the menu screen, the second is of the DC supply with the SW5548 in the "ON" mode and the third is in search mode, as it would flicker between only 1.5 and 3 watts.

I am very happy and may I say "These Trace units are beasts".
IMG_6645.jpg
IMG_6646.jpg
IMG_6647.jpg

As I started reading this thread the thought 'ask about mouse pee' popped into mind, though no one could be as careless as me... plans changed and after seven Minnesota winters the 5548 I'd nabbed was totaled - I now have a coffee can full of really expensive stainless hardware & a box of misc hardware - wire chewed and PCB traces corroded open or lifted, green copper everywhere blah blah...

Nab a small 'pet urine finder' battery powered UV lamp & Get. Every. Last. Spot. out of the housings & cables...

As I started reading this thread the thought 'ask about mouse pee' popped into mind, though no one could be as careless as me...
Well I can tell you that we have had an epic battle with these little critters (average 2-3 in the snap traps every visit) along with several wood rats which are wicked destructive. I will be securing the electrical covers over the terminal bay this time around for sure.

The second AC input isn't worth the premium.
Would be to me but probably not to the OP - just saying there’s use cases even off grid. Such as my fairly robust collection of spare SB 7.7s. Might be something to think about if one ever wants to AC couple. I don’t know how strong Victron is with this, just that it’s possible.

Would be to me

Why?

but probably not to the OP - just saying there’s use cases even off grid. Such as my fairly robust collection of spare SB 7.7s. Might be something to think about if one ever wants to AC couple. I don’t know how strong Victron is with this, just that it’s possible.

With AC coupling? Very strong.

Quick side question. Does the Victron raise frequency like SMA to control the line inverters?

Yep. PV inverter support assistant.

1710036350563.png

Thanks for hijacking my thread, I was hoping someone here would know what those two relays are controlling or what triggers them?

Back