diy solar

diy solar

Do I Need a AC Breaker Box with my 2500 Watt Inverter in my Van Build ?

monks-cat

Hi All!

First time posting here. Thanks for this great source of information and community!

A guy who is helping me with my van build insists that I install a breaker box after my inverter in my van build. My AC power items are a chest freezer (converted to fridge) , my keyboard, and possibly adding a low wattage microwave. Will also be charging my lapotop.

In any case, after looking around at other van's electrical systems, it seems breaker boxes aren't always used. I wonder if its overkill. I don't really understand the purpose. Can't we just put a few fuses?

Also, what are the downsides/upsides of just using the AC outs on the inverter? A small loss of efficiency? But will that be easier than hardwiring?

Apologies for my noobiness,

Thank you!

Sounds like using the outlets on the inverter would be ok for those loads, if the loads are too large for the number of plugs, or if the output of the inverter is hardwired for better amperage, then a panel makes sense.

Hi All!

First time posting here. Thanks for this great source of information and community!

A guy who is helping me with my van build insists that I install a breaker box after my inverter in my van build. My AC power items are a chest freezer (converted to fridge) , my keyboard, and possibly adding a low wattage microwave. Will also be charging my lapotop.

In any case, after looking around at other van's electrical systems, it seems breaker boxes aren't always used. I wonder if its overkill. I don't really understand the purpose. Can't we just put a few fuses?

Also, what are the downsides/upsides of just using the AC outs on the inverter? A small loss of efficiency? But will that be easier than hardwiring?

Apologies for my noobiness,

Thank you!
not sure what you decided but ........ necessary ?? no .... but neither is a a surge protector but if you have a surge its worth it so my point is you dont have to have its just extra protection and pretty damn cheap.

Back