diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a breaker between inverter and AC panel?

Johannlog

The sun shines even on cold days
Do I need to put a breaker inline between my Giandel 4,000w inverter and my AC service breaker panel in the house?
Or does the Inverter already have one internally?

(Offgrid) Inverter will be supplying the AC panel in the house, and I'd like to run it thru the top of the 200A panel.

(I split the line so I have 110v on each side of the panel i.e. I'm not running 220v/split phase)

@Johannlog you should be landing the inverter on a appropriately sized branch breaker.
I'm going to guess the wire you use will be below the minimum size for the main lugs on a 200amp panel.
Is your inverter split phase?
Will this panel also be hooked up to utility power?

@Johannlog you should be landing the inverter on a appropriately sized branch breaker.
I'm going to guess the wire you use will be below the minimum size for the main lugs on a 200amp panel.
Is your inverter split phase?
Will this panel also be hooked up to utility power?
It is below that minimum size. 8AWG
Not connecting to utility, only offgrid however I would also like to connect it to a generator so I should probably be using a switch before the panel.
Inverter is not split phase.
For the time I'm just running it into one of the panels 30a breakers, and back feeding the panel that way.

It is below that minimum size. 8AWG
Not connecting to utility, only offgrid however I would also like to connect it to a generator so I should probably be using a switch before the panel.
Inverter is not split phase.
For the time I'm just running it into one of the panels 30a breakers, and back feeding the panel that way.
If you put in a transfer switch then we have 3 wires to consider.
2 inputs and 1 output.
From the other thread it seems that voltage drop is also a consideration as the round trip distance is ~100 feet.
I think you should have just continued on in that thread so that folks get the necessary context.

If you put in a transfer switch then we have 3 wires to consider.
2 inputs and 1 output.
From the other thread it seems that voltage drop is also a consideration as the round trip distance is ~100 feet.
I think you should have just continued on in that thread so that folks get the necessary context.
Yeah, sorry, I forgot all about it.

Back