diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a breaker between solar panels and AIO inverter?

edweather

At most I'll have three 365W panels in series. The lsc of each panel is 11.07A. Do I need a breaker between the panels and the inverter, and if so, could you please recommend one if possible. Thanks.

My system is fused for overcurrent protection and breakered (in my combiner box), and I have a PV disconnect inside next to the AIO. So I can isolate panels from inside or outside the house.

I have a Midnight Solar 20A single pole DC breaker, and a baby box in my amazon cart. Do I really need the box?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_112359_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_112359_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 18

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_120502_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_120502_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231102_120843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_120843_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 6
At most I'll have three 365W panels in series. The lsc of each panel is 11.07A. Do I need a breaker between the panels and the inverter, and if so, could you please recommend one if possible. Thanks.

Certainly a solar panel DC disconnect switch is needed in my opinion.

An ANL fuse on the positive is also a good idea.

A little more pricey, but gets the job done well. I like the combination of the switch and fuse vs breaker.

you do not, the breaker is no good for solar, you would need breakers if you had 3 or more strings combined in parallel

Noooo... that ANL fuse is only rated at 32V ??‍??

It's for low voltage battery to inverter not PV to inverter.

@edweather

Looks like this fuse is the way to go if one is desired between the solar panels and solar charge controller.

Combine it with the solar disconnect switch which is needed IMO.

Some say the fuse is optional in your configuration for various reasons, but with my electrical - electronic background when wiring any electrical circuit a fuse is used. It certainly will not hurt. Just need to make sure it is properly rated.:)

Some say the fuse is optional in your configuration for various reasons,
This is because a solar panel, or string of panels will not ever put out more current than it is rated at. Even two panels, or strings in parallel won't put out enough current to damage the wiring. Only when you get three panels or strings in parallel will you get more current than the wiring is rated to handle. This is code. Therefore, a disconnect, switch, CB or whatever is purely for convenience.

Something like this

IMO DC Isolator 16A 2 Pole 800V (Single String)​

The voltage matters for a DC switch, not just the amperage. Very useful to be able to switch the solar off, you can't turn off the sun.
:

Back