diy solar

diy solar

Does EG4 inverter really communicate with 3rd Party Batteries?

mikeyoungvcu89

I've had my EG4 6500 for over a year, messed with it a little but never really happy with the way it works. For the first time in many months I went over to the cabin and messed around with it. I wanted to try to get the converter to communicate with my batteries but had no luck. When I first installed I had to set the 05 Battery type to USE. So I set to LIC after connecting the RG45 cables to a Trophy Battery and an Expert Power. After a few minutes I got a error 61 indicating no comms with the battery. I played around trying the CAN port on the battery swapping the ports, connecting the inverter to each battery. powered down the whole system, pretty much everything I could think of and ended up having to set it back to USE. I thought maybe connecting the communication would help with problem I encounter allot in the winter, where if the low voltage disconnect gets triggered the unit disconnects and never comes back on until I do a reset.

I've had my EG4 6500 for over a year, messed with it a little but never really happy with the way it works. For the first time in many months I went over to the cabin and messed around with it. I wanted to try to get the converter to communicate with my batteries but had no luck. When I first installed I had to set the 05 Battery type to USE. So I set to LIC after connecting the RG45 cables to a Trophy Battery and an Expert Power. After a few minutes I got a error 61 indicating no comms with the battery. I played around trying the CAN port on the battery swapping the ports, connecting the inverter to each battery. powered down the whole system, pretty much everything I could think of and ended up having to set it back to USE. I thought maybe connecting the communication would help with problem I encounter allot in the winter, where if the low voltage disconnect gets triggered the unit disconnects and never comes back on until I do a reset.

Your best chance at gaining comms with a 3rd party battery, is by implementing the EG4 communications hub in the middle.

Or to use Solar Assistant on an RPi would be another way.

Your best chance at gaining comms with a 3rd party battery, is by implementing the EG4 communications hub in the middle.

Or to use Solar Assistant on an RPi would be another way.
Actually this hub is for EG4 batteries.

“Compatible with 48V EG4-LiFePOWER4 batteries only”

Actually this hub is for EG4 batteries.

“Compatible with 48V EG4-LiFePOWER4 batteries only”

Oh that's right, I got it backwards in my mind, sorry. The hub adds INVERTER brand compatibility, not battery brand compatibility, that's not the first time I got that backwards. I've never used one myself before, I did read the manual on it before, but forgot all the details, I should've remembered that. Ok nevermind, pretend I didn't say that then...

Back