diy solar

diy solar

Does Panel need to be grounded

riotbob

Hi,

I am trying to build a 48v system, using a hybrid solar inverter charger(Growatt) that will feed an electric panel.
The question is do I need to ground my panel? The panel will be powered by my Growatt that will be connected to
to solar panels and my 48v battery bank. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you!

-RB

I would also like to add that the panel I want to connect to my 48v system will be in a detached garage. The garage already has a sub-panel that powers my garage. If I need to ground my new panel, can I just then connect the grounding wire from the new panel to the sub-panel? Thanks!

In the US, for a residential install, the frames of the panels are required to be grounded to the same point the rest of the system is grounded.

An additional grounding rod to the panels is allowed but it is not advised to do it.
If I need to ground my new panel, can I just then connect the grounding wire from the new panel to the sub-panel? Thanks!
Yes

To avoid significant important misinterpretation, only PV metal frame should be grounded.

Do not ground either negative or positive lines from PV array, or it may damage the AIO inverter.

For AIO HF inverters you need to use double pole breaker to disconnect both positive and negative PV lines.

To avoid significant important misinterpretation, only PV metal frame should be grounded.

Do not ground either negative or positive lines from PV array, or it may damage the AIO inverter.

For AIO HF inverters you need to use double pole breaker to disconnect both positive and negative PV lines.
is this what you are suggesting?

1687980144657.png

diy solar

diy solar
Back