diy solar

diy solar

Don't buy this breaker

atatistcheff

Solar Enthusiast
I know y'all are probably smarter than this but if you see an inline breaker like this on Amazon/eBay/etc. don't waste your money. I should have tested this while I was still in the return window - lesson learned. The "150A" breaker popped at 120A after about 5 seconds. Second attempt caused it to fail internally and start providing intermittent power. Live and learn I guess. Breakers are cool but fuses seem like a more accurate way to allow the current you want while protecting against accidental shorts.

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 9.27.09 PM.png

I think the specs really mean "30A continuous with microsecond peaks to 150A"

I’m having the same problem with a cheaper EBay breaker. The first one failed in two weeks and the replacement one they sent was DOD!? emailed them and told them I’m done and I ordered a quality Bussman more $$
they were honest enough to admit they were having having nothing but trouble with this lot they were selling and cheerfully sent me a refund. Told me to keep the faulty ones. LOL

Attachments

• 2FD31F81-57BB-442D-B79F-ACAC1F3C7450.jpeg
    2FD31F81-57BB-442D-B79F-ACAC1F3C7450.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
Dang that inline breaker I had on my system pushing 75% of its amp limit and never had a problem for months. Worked great for me. Good to know that they are crap now.

Yeah fuses rock

From what I can gather, these work well up to about 40 amps. The failure rate seems to go down drastically over that.

Yeah, I have a similar in-line 40A breaker that pops at 20A. It works, just not at its rated amps.

I have several similar ones still in boxes, I use them as an overload safety, or an unloaded switch. The trick to using them is 50% over expected demand, and NEVER switch them open or closed with a load on them. Dc arcs melt and damage stuff like this.

An overload for a few microseconds at 50% isn’t going to fry any inverter, or wiring. It’s the sustained overload that burns stuff.

I bought one at 300amp rating. It pops at times at 55amps. It was cheap get what you pay for.

Back