diy solar

diy solar

Doubling capacity

Nesto514Rides

Hello, I am going to double my battery capacity. Currently I have a LiTime 200ah 12V 100A BMS battery. I am buying the same battery to add to my system. My question is with cabling. With my current set up the cables that go from my battery to my system are set up to handle 100a continuous, although I have never pulled that many amps and my typical usage is 20 amps. I understand that by adding a second battery the amp draw will be split between each battery. So my question is the jumper cables, do I set them up for 100 amps and then increase the size of my supply cables to handle 200 amps? TIA.

Hello, I am going to double my battery capacity. Currently I have a LiTime 200ah 12V 100A BMS battery. I am buying the same battery to add to my system. My question is with cabling. With my current set up the cables that go from my battery to my system are set up to handle 100a continuous, although I have never pulled that many amps and my typical usage is 20 amps. I understand that by adding a second battery the amp draw will be split between each battery. So my question is the jumper cables, do I set them up for 100 amps and then increase the size of my supply cables to handle 200 amps? TIA.
It all depends on the OCP size you use.
If you only pull 20a. You can run conductors and OCP slightly above that.
OCP (Over Current Protection)

If this change is only to add capacity there is no need to mess with the wiring. I'd do the jumpers for 100A just for consistency and after they are in parallel, move the system positive or negative to the new battery to give you a diagonal connection to evenly split the charging and load currents.

It all depends on the OCP size you use.
If you only pull 20a. You can run conductors and OCP slightly above that.
OCP (Over Current Protection)
True, however, as my needs change so will my usage. I may still want to have the availability to utilize the available energy.

True, however, as my needs change so will my usage. I may still want to have the availability to utilize the available energy.
That's something that you definitely should figure out, first.
Once you decide what your needs will be. Then you can decide what you need to accomplish it.

Back