diy solar

diy solar

Dr. Frankenstein goes solar.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
After just purchased another couple of solar panels due to arrive in a few days I am busy trying to come up with how I am going to integrate them into my PV setup. Like Victor Frankenstein I have all kinds of parts of a body to assemble into something that approaches a whole. Like the good Doctor much of what I have is from different sources. From a quick count I have 8 different brands of solar panels, 2 different AIO's and a motley connection of other stuff. From time to time I wonder why old Victor was so conservative and did not improve on a few things like 3 arms and 3 hands. I can't tell you how many times an extra hand would have come in handy. Not to mention a second head.

But here I am with 2 more panels and having to decide where they should go and how I am going to connect them. At first I had thought to simply replace 4- 100w panels I have in my second array so that all the panels in it were now 200w. It presently is in a 3S2P-semi arrangement. Semi because the 100w panels were in parallel to create a equivalent 200w panel at same voltage and amperage. Those 4 panels would then join my first array of all 100w panels that was in a 8S2P configuration making it a 10S2P setup. (My #1 AIO can handle up to 450Voc).

So I built a new ground mount for the 100w panels. All good almost. I found out that in the afternoon the corner of my building shades the top panels as the sun works towards the Western horizon. Obviously a bad thing for series connection. So what now?

After much thought I decided to make the 4 -100w panels into another array (#3) as 2S2P upper 2 and bottom as pairs and wire them to my alternate SCC. This will mean that my battery bank now has 4 chargers hooked to it (2-AIO's, 1SCC and 1 battery charger). This can work out because I have a 24vDC battery setup and high voltage is not needed for the SCC to work.

Now the only question will be, Is it Alive?

You have to think that before the final monster that Victor must have made a few starts, stops and discarded first editions. Hard to have perfection in the first attempt.

Just had a first. One of my 2 new solar panels just arrived with the front totally busted. You could not see the damage from the cardboard box other than a few scrapes on the outside and a torn area. But there is two big impact zones on the glass. I just let the Seller know via Ebay messages (Eco-Worthy) and I get to see how it will be handled. The other panel appears intact (its cardboard box was in worse shape!) and the Voc is good so likely it is OK. Funny after buying so many I finally ended up with a busted one. Hers a couple of images of the shattered one.

Update: Received message back that they will send a new panel if I am willing and I don't have to send the broken one back. Good thing that since in my remote location I would have to either haul it to town or arrange a pickup. Now I just have to wait until the replacement arrives (undamaged I hope). Have to admit that these panels came shipped basically just in a cardboard box and no protection like previous ones I got. Bit surprised they would not include some form of foam cover to protect the face and back like the others did. Probably a calculation between how many break and saving on packaging material.

Attachments

• P1010046.JPG
    P1010046.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • P1010047.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back