diy solar

diy solar

Dreaded 61 issue SG TP6048 with 2 Sungold 48100m

Brimarr

I am having a problem with getting the BMS working and it is frustrating as heck. The cable from Sungold is even labeled INV on one end and BAT on the other all contacts work and I even double checked the pinout with an ethernet tester. Even still I tried reversing it just in case it was mislabeled I haven't even connected the second battery yet
I contacted Sungold and they sent the following:
1.After discussed with engineer,if the inverter is a stand-alone operation of the 61 alarm, it is possible that the inverter and the battery did not communicate successfully, set the battery to USER mode in the setup, in order to eliminate the 61 error code.
The specific operation is as follows:
(1) Disconnect the output (please press the start button up as below), because the setting cannot be changed when the inverter is working.
(2)Please set Program 05 to USER mode, after the setting is finished, please turn off the inverter to save the setting, and then turn on the inverter again to check whether the 61 error code has been eliminated.

2. please connect one TP6048 inverter with one power wall battery separately first, then enter the setup mode on the inverter to select the program 14. For the battery type,you can select "User-defined" or "Pylontech battery". If you need the inverter communicate with the battery,please select "Pylontech battery".

Please follow the steps below to make the inverter and battery communicate successfully:
(1)The wire sequence of the two ends of the communication cable between the inverter and the battery should be correct. We recommend to use the communication cable configured for TP6048 inverter (as shown in the figure below), there are indications at both ends of this cable, please be careful not to insert it backwards.

Unfortunately this did not work resolve it either, even more frustrating is that the error takes about 10 minutes to happen, and the battery manual doesn't list out the User settings for these batteries based on the data sheet this is what I am thinking and wondering do these seem correct until I can get the BMS working?
Bulk Charge 54.5
Float charge 42
Discharge Cutoff when grid: 46?
Discharge cutoff: 46 to keep a little in the tank to manually override
Battery to stop charging when Grid is available: 56?

1, set battery type as pyl in the inverter
2, set on the battery screen 485 protocol as XY39
3, set ADD on the battery as 1 0 0 0,
4,use the communication cable go with the inverter, the side had INT label goes to inverter 485 LioN port, the side with BAT label goes to 485A port.

Resolved the BMS communications error. Now I am getting insufficient output and an error 04 (Low Battery) despite the batteries showing 52.4v and having 2 batteries. will be running at around 150 watts of load, turn on the microwave and the microwave doesn't have enough juice to start. I think I got a defective unit.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.PNG
    IMG_1290.PNG
    163.3 KB · Views: 9
I'd set bulk charging to 55.2V - 56V and float at 54.8V.
52.4V isn't a very high SOC, I suspect voltage sag is causing a shut down when you are running the microwave.
When I was running the TP6048 I had 0 issues with my Microwave.
I never messed with battery comms, user settings ftw.

Now I am getting insufficient output and an error 04 (Low Battery) despite the batteries showing 52.4v and having 2 batteries
The inverter thinks your batteries are at 0% and it's possibly shutting down the output because of that. Get rid of the communications and go back to lead acid mode to prove if everything is okay electronically and then start faffing around with communications if you really feel the need.

User mode is not an acceptable longer term answer I bought all Sungold branded system to avoid problems like this and have something that works with an advanced BMS to ensure longevity of the cells improve charging efficiency etc. and that is not turning out to be the case.

User mode is not an acceptable longer term answer I bought all Sungold branded system to avoid problems like this and have something that works with an advanced BMS to ensure longevity of the cells improve charging efficiency etc. and that is not turning out to be the case.
I disagree.

User mode is definitely a long term solution and could be argued a better option than closed loop communications.
The BMS should only be used as a last line of defense to protect the cells if something else fails or is set up incorrectly. Many of the manufacturers setup the BMS to charge to aggressively trying to reach 3.6V / cell or higher. This is completely unnecessary.

Ideally the BMS is programmed for the extreme high and low limits and charge / discharge parameters are set below those limits so the BMS is not going into protection state regularly.

For example I have my BMS programmed with HVD at 3.60V and LVD at 2.6V. The Inverter / AIO / SCC is programmed to stop charging at or around 3.5V / cell and stop discharging at 2.95V / cell.

Many members have been running with similar settings for years without issues.
I ran my TP6048 for nearly a year with no issues, I'm now running my SRNE ASF the same way, with no issues. I do have my 3 BMS's communicating with Solar Assistant so I can monitor individual pack SOC, temp, and see average and min / max cell voltage.

Did you get this resolved? I tried the same thing this weekend... I didn't realize (nor was the cable labeled) that one side had to go on the inverter and one on the battery side.

I inserted into the Li-ion port on the inverter, and the rs485a port on the battery, (tried with first dipswitch on, and then with them all off), set the battery to pylontech, and i get the 61 fault. Have you resolved this? Will be back out at our property in a few weeks to try this again but not sure why it's not working.

Hopefully this will help someone else in resolving this...

if the inverter is a stand-alone operation of the 61 fault, it is possible that the inverter and the battery did not communicate successfully, set the battery to USER mode in the setup, in order to eliminate the 61 error code. The specific operation is as follows: 1. Disconnect the output (please press the start button up as below), because the setting cannot be changed when the inverter is working. 2. Please set Program 05 to USER mode, after the setting is finished, please turn off the inverter to save the setting, and then turn on the inverter again to check whether the 61 error code has been eliminated.
1703595367560.png

Then following up my below guideline to set up the inverter,then achieve the communication with the batteries. Please follow the steps below to make the inverter and battery communicate successfully: Attention: The inverter only connect with the batteries, please remove the loads,PV and utility.
(1)The wire sequence of the two ends of the communication cable between the inverter and the battery should be correct. We recommend to use the communication cable configured for SP6548 inverter (as shown in the figure below), there are indications at both ends of this cable, please be careful not to insert it backwards.
1703595386374.png

(2)This communication cable needs to be connected to the right port, the inverter end should be plugged into port 16 and the battery end should be plugged into RS485A interface.

1703595396593.png
1703595408733.png

(3) Please dial the ADD1 on the battery 1 to ON, dial the ADD2 on the battery 2 to ON, dial the ADD1 and 2 on the battery 3 to ON.

1703595420414.png

(4) Select "Pylontech battery" in program 05 "Battery type" of LCD Setting of SP6548 inverter, and make sure the setting is successful. After completing the above steps, please turn off the inverter. Then turn on the inverter again to see if the inverter has successfully communicated with the battery.
3. Once the inverter is connected to the first battery and communication is successful, please connect the 3 batteries in parallel. After the batteries are connected in parallel, please use the RS485 communication cable provided with the batteries to complete the BMS communication between the batteries. As shown in the figure below. Here is the RS485 communication cable.
1703595433506.png
1703595353822.png

I will be trying this very soon as I am not at my ranch right now.. but for my instance, this is for three batteries.

OK so an update... it did NOT work. I followed the instructions and still have nothing, so I kept the pins how the instructions show above, along with the cables, did user mode, and used the values above, but also enabled battery equalizatin and real time battery equalization. Two questions

A) Are the cables, and or anything doing anything right now given I am doing user values versus Pylontech?
B) Does any of the equalization functionality work, or not until I get the cables and the 61 fault to go away?

Thanks all for this thread...

Back