diy solar

diy solar

Shorted PV on Sungold Power TP6048

jdcorbitt3

I was relocating my solar array. I had the generator running and the batteries hooked. Normally I shut down all power, but this time I did not. I cut the wires to the PV array between my circuit breaker and the TP6048. It arced, which Ed surprised me as I did not expect power coming from the inverter to the array. Now the only way I can power up the TP6048 display is by running the generator. There is 51V t the battery terminals in the inverter, but I have the BP Fault. Also, when I connect the array, it’s voltage goes to 0v.
I opened the inverter and found 5 fused, 4 small ones and one large Vicfuse VBS1749 450vDC 40 Amp. Those fuses tested good. Am I missing another fuse, or does it sound like welded contactors in an internal relay?

Just a brief update. I am emailing back and forth with Sungoldpower. There is another fuse right by the negative battery terminal on the main board. I will check that one when I get out there this afternoon.

The “F3” fuse on the main board is blown. If I connect the PV array to the system, even with the blown fuse, The voltage on the array goes from 200v to .8v. Unfortunately, I suspect something is now shorted in the circuitry. I included the photo from Sungoldpower and my photo with the fuse removed.

Attachments

• IMG_6981.jpeg
    IMG_6981.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 21
  • CatchADC7(10-20-(10-20-10-14-42).jpeg
    CatchADC7(10-20-(10-20-10-14-42).jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 21
The BP error is probably from the blown fuse I would guess.

The pv charge controller could be damaged from the arcing.

You may need a new board now. What did Sungold suggest?

The “F3” fuse on the main board is blown. If I connect the PV array to the system, even with the blown fuse, The voltage on the array goes from 200v to .8v.
The blown fuse is only part of the problem and obviously there's still a dead short on the circuit board somewhere. You need a new circuit board or unit.

I found fried mosfet transistors on the main board. This seems wrong to have voltage on an input. I don’t know if it is a defect in my unit or a design flaw. I am sending it back to Amazon since I have not had a reply in a week from Sungold and I am out of time to return it.

I found fried mosfet transistors on the main board. This seems wrong to have voltage on an input. I don’t know if it is a defect in my unit or a design flaw. I am sending it back to Amazon since I have not had a reply in a week from Sungold and I am out of time to return it.
Jd what ended up happening?

Back