diy solar

diy solar

Tip and warning for Sungold TP6048 users.

Crowz

Solar Wizard
I ran into a problem that others on the forum had and I got it fixed so I wanted to share.

First a warning. If you own a Sungold TP6048 DO NOT disconnected the removable displays rj45 connector without first disconnecting it from ALL power sources.

I mean AC in, DC in aka batteries, AND solar aka pv. NO POWER AT ALL.

I had turned my unit off with the power button. It stays lit on the display but it should be off. I did this to avoid the display issues others had mentioned. It wasn't enough. It killed the display. The power button keeps working so you can turn the unit back on but you can't see anything on the display. Also all ports are dead on it too which means no batt coms and no solar assistant link. The only thing that still works is the power button. The unit still powered my house fine the whole time the display was dead.

The proper way to safely remove the display cable in opinion is to :

1. Press the power button and wait for it to turn off.

2. Turn the AC in breaker off.

3. Turn the pv breaker (solar) off.

4. Turn the battery breaker off.

5. Wait for the fans to stop spinning.

Now you can hopefully safely remove the network cable that connects the display.

After reattaching the display turn on the breakers and power it up with the power button.

---------------

Now onto the repair part.

The secret with Sungold is they are somewhere in Asia or at least that my guess so time zones are the key. I found that doing emails with them around 2am to 5am is a dream. They responded nearly instantly and it was almost like being in a chat session vs the normal email lag most businesses have.

I contacted them and told them the display was dead on my TP6048 after I had disconnected the display to attach wires inside the unit after turning it off.

I was asked if the lcd was dead and all lights and I informed them that the power button worked but everything else didn't. No lights, no display, no data ports. Just the power button worked.

Took about 3 minutes tops and they replied with a diagnosis and informed me a replacement remote board was needed to fix it.

Next they asked me for my name and the serial number from the unit. I went and got that off the unit and sent it to them.

Next they wanted my mailing address and order number. I provided that.
They then informed me the board was being shipped at no charge and that they were informing the amazon team of what happened since I purchased thru amazon and not directly from them in case I needed assistance from them also.

They thanked me for the prompt replies I provided and I thanked them for the wonderful customer service.

This took 40 FREAKING minutes tops folks. From the time I asked for help till a part was on its way for FREE. FORTY MINUTES.

THATS customer service.

I wasn't asked to jump thru hoops and I wasn't passed around thru tech tiers up the chain for diagnosing. I admit I normally like phone support but this shows how email support is supposed to be done and was so smooth I think I actually preferred this over a phone call for a change.

Let us know when you receive tracking as well as when the package shows.

I was waiting for all of this to play out before posting anything since I wanted to know what it took to actually fix it, what the total experience on the warranty was going to be like and in general how it all went.

I hate those waiting for the end of the story deals and figured it was better to complete it all then post.

I'm not a blind fan of anything brand wise and my previous experience trying order directly from them for my solar panels was a very BAD experience. But the support on repairs was AWESOME.

So I will keep using and liking sungold at this point, but I will buy sungold products from amazon only is my take on it at the moment.

I have been having issues with mine as well I forgot the first error code it would count down and shutdown but they sent me a main board which was a pain to change on the wall you have take all the boards to install it but they sent it to me free of charge. Now Im getting error 32 code and now sending me the same remote board hope it fixes the problem time will tell.

So far that display thing which I caused (well it happened when I unplugged it and it sure seems like something your supposed to be able to do without de-powering everything) is the only issue I have had with mine. I just need to get batteries now since the solar is covering the loads nicely.

I have decided on Sungold for my new inverter I'll be going with the small 5000-watt 120V. Sounds like Sungold has great customer support which for me means a lot. I only need it to keep a shed cool in the summer I found my current setup Epever charger and generic 1500-watt inverter not enough. I need to be able to automatically switch to utility power.

Back