diy solar

diy solar

Dry contact settings not playing

Finca Life

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right forum section. I have two things that are confusing me and hopefully someone can shed a little light. I have a Growatt SPF5000ES, a 5.5kW backup diesel generator and a 5.12kW Pytes battery. Everything is great with the system apart from a couple of small gremlins, which aren't a problem but I would like to try and understand more about why...

The first is the generator start settings. The batteries are set to disconnect (by the BMS) at 20% so I set the generator to start at 22%. However, It seems to have defaulted to 25% and no matter how many times I change the settings (settings say 22%) it still starts at 25%. It's not a huge issue and I am trying to get a little more from the batteries to reduce generator usage and save a little on diesel. It doesn't start very often and with the extra 3% it would give me an extra hour or so for the sun (brightness) to take over in the mornings.

The second issue - again with the generator. The charge settings (controlled by the BMS) allow only a 20A 'grid' charge whereas the solar charge is 50A. If the generator starts itself (at 25% setting which I would like to be 22% lol) it will pull the full 50A battery charge but if started manually, it only draws 20A. Again, not a big issue but I'm trying to understand why... The grid bypass etc all works fine.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Andy

It's all due to having communications between BMS and the Growatt. You are giving the BMS control over what it gets and when it gets it. If you remove communications, you can make these settings whatever you want. Otherwise you are stuck with the parameters chosen by the BMS.

It's all due to having communications between BMS and the Growatt. You are giving the BMS control over what it gets and when it gets it. If you remove communications, you can make these settings whatever you want. Otherwise you are stuck with the parameters chosen by the BMS.
Thanks, as I said, it's not a big issue - I think I prefer to leave the BMS intact, I'm sure it knows best :)

Back