diy solar

diy solar

Easiest Mounting Options

Siamac

What's the easiest way for a total beginner to mount panels on the roof? Will doesn't really have any information on DIY racking or installation and I think many beginners can benefit from a discussion.

For my specific situation, I have a flat untiled section and a tilted tile section. I also have an open balcony that I wouldn't mind covering with some solar panels. Panels are cheap, and I'm not really limited in space so the easiest cost effective way would be ideal.

I'm considering Eco-Worthy sun tracker, K2 racks from Santansolar or somehow mount them over the balcony. But ideally I would rather avoid messing with the roof tiles and drilling holes, if that's even a possibility.

So far, the Eco Worthy sun tracker seems like the easiest way, but it's much more expensive as well, and it's not even that easy.

Any advice or resources?

To find another means of mounting because in almost all situations, roof mounting of solar panels requires NEC compliance with offsets, rapid per module shutdown, etc. Will's not going to stick his neck out there. You need to do your own research with your authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).

A patio cover or other temporary structure that isn't intended to be walked on by firefighters is effectively a ground mount installation and is a little less pain-in-the-ass-y.

Good point.

So let's take the 2 different situations.
Let's say someone already has a permitted array and just expanding the according to the same alignment. So don't have to worry about not being in compliance. What's the easiest way? Am I correct to assume that an sun tracking set up has less restrictions on the roof?

And on the other hand, let's say someone doesn't want to bother with the headache and wants a small balcony array or small canopy. What's the best/easiest elevated mounting?

I'm considering Eco-Worthy sun tracker
It's not recommended to mount the Eco-Worthy sun tracker on the tile roof as it needs to stand on solid concrete after drilling holes. Putting it on the ground is doable.
But ideally I would rather avoid messing with the roof tiles and drilling holes, if that's even a possibility.
That's very difficult. All the mounting brackets need drilling holes as far as I know. Flexible panel doesn't need brackets but it is not the best option for home solar system.
I have a flat untiled section and a tilted tile section. I also have an open balcony that I wouldn't mind covering with some solar panels.
Flat section will be fine with triangle tilt mounting brackets.
Only my personal thoughts. Correct me pls if I were wrong.

Tracker are more expensive and provide less additional power per dollar that just adding more stationary panels. I say that as someone who just built a tracker with my kid for fun.

Panel mounting is pretty standard, especially roof mounting. Get rails and the related system from one of the manufacturers. Hopefully something local so you can avoid the shipping cost of long rails.
IronRidge and Unirack are two big name brands.
For mounting to a carport or something that isn't a house you can go more wild west and even just bolt the panels down, but I'd still use racking.

Good point.

So let's take the 2 different situations.
Let's say someone already has a permitted array and just expanding the according to the same alignment. So don't have to worry about not being in compliance.
That's not really how it works. If you are permitted, it's for the original install or like replacement. Nothing additional would be covered by the permit and your utility agreement is likely limited to the amount of PV originally installed.
But, to answer the question: more of the same brand racking as was originally used.
What's the easiest way? Am I correct to assume that an sun tracking set up has less restrictions on the roof?
But, to answer the question: more of the same brand racking as was originally used.
And on the other hand, let's say someone doesn't want to bother with the headache and wants a small balcony array or small canopy. What's the best/easiest elevated mounting?
Build the canopy as normal, making sure it's well secured to the ground as wind on the panels will create lift. The add racking would be easiest. Probably most expensive too.
Cheapest would be to bolt the panels directly to the wood of the canopy.

To get useful advice you'll need to define your goals, limits, budget, energy needs, something. Theoretical question like this, suck in theory and don't get useful answers for your specific situation.

Z brackets are the easiest and cheapest way. You can get some from Amazon. It will cost about $5 per panel to mount.

There's also a foam adhesive made specifically for this

Here are some other options posted by others:

Unirac flashloc

Another unirac

Tracker are more expensive and provide less additional power per dollar that just adding more stationary panels. I say that as someone who just built a tracker with my kid for fun.

Panel mounting is pretty standard, especially roof mounting. Get rails and the related system from one of the manufacturers. Hopefully something local so you can avoid the shipping cost of long rails.
IronRidge and Unirack are two big name brands.
For mounting to a carport or something that isn't a house you can go more wild west and even just bolt the panels down, but I'd still use racking.

That's not really how it works. If you are permitted, it's for the original install or like replacement. Nothing additional would be covered by the permit and your utility agreement is likely limited to the amount of PV originally installed.

Build the canopy as normal, making sure it's well secured to the ground as wind on the panels will create lift. The add racking would be easiest. Probably most expensive too.
Cheapest would be to bolt the panels directly to the wood of the canopy.

To get useful advice you'll need to define your goals, limits, budget, energy needs, something. Theoretical question like this, suck in theory and don't get useful answers for your specific situation.
Thanks. Goal is to do the easiest and cheapest way, in that order. Labor is very expensive where I live so I would ideally like to do most of it myself

Back