diy solar

diy solar

Eco Worthy Controller E04 error

SolarToyTrailer

I have a Eco Worthy Solar Panel Kit 100 Watt panel and 20A 12V/24V controller. Entry level system which I've added on top of an enclosed cargo trailer where I store my 4 wheeler. It has a Webasto AirTop Heater powered by this system. I have a 12V deep cycle battery powering this.
I bought a 300W inverter that I want to connect to the Load pins on the controller but when I do so I get a E04 error on the controller. It seems like this means "Output Short Circuit warning". I've never had this error before trying to connect the inverter to the controller. I did connect the inverter directly to the battery and it seems to work fine. What could cause the controller to throw this error when I connect the inverter to the load pins? what troubleshooting tips do you have?

Welcome to the forum.

You never power an inverter via charge controller load ports. Always connect direct to battery with appropriate fusing/beakers.

Inverters have capacitors that can pull a huge amount of current for a very brief period. This is well in excess of what the charge controller permits.

Welcome to the forum.

You never power an inverter via charge controller load ports. Always connect direct to battery with appropriate fusing/beakers.

Inverters have capacitors that can pull a huge amount of current for a very brief period. This is well in excess of what the charge controller permits.
Thanks for the response. Upon reading up more on this after your answer it seems that's what the manufacturers recommend as well. That brings up another question, why is there a Load option on the controller? Shouldn't everything be connected straight to the battery?

Load ports often offer additional controls, such as timers. If you wanted a string of lights to only be on at certain times, the load ports may allow that. Additionally, most DC loads don't have their own low voltage cut off. Inverters do.

diy solar

diy solar
Back