diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Delta 2 charging hack problem

constantspeed

How does the Ecoflow Delta 2 differentiate the source power when using the solar charge port (XT60i)?
If I attach a DIY 400W solar array to the Delta 2, it correctly shows charging from solar (see first two images).

I created a DIY solar power bank (third image) to provide supplemental charging to my Ecoflow Delta 2 via the solar charge port, using a 12v to 48v converter. In theory the converter will supply 480W of power at 48V and 10A, which is within the spec for the Delta 2 port which is 60V and 15A (and 500W max).
When connected and switched on, the Delta 2 initially shows a solar connection ramping up over 400W of solar (fourth image), before switching the input designator to DC charge, and knocking the input down to the max DC car charing limit of 8A, which in this case translates to around 378W at 48V (fifth image).

I have tried this with both an orange XT60i and a plain yellow XT60 connector with the same limit result. How does the Ecoflow Delta 2 know the kind of input source?

Attachments

• IMG_4726.jpeg
    IMG_4726.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DeltaSolar.PNG
    DeltaSolar.PNG
    112.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 17
  • FakeSolar.PNG
    FakeSolar.PNG
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
  • FakeSolarLimit.PNG
    FakeSolarLimit.PNG
    121.3 KB · Views: 13
For your "fake solar" cord, are you positive (pardon the pun) that you have an XT60i cable?

From what I understand, the extra middle pin on the XT60i plug is what tells the Delta 2 if your input is car or solar.

You need a cable with the middle pin grounded to the negative, for the d2 to switch to solar input and remove the 8A/24V limits. The official ecoflow solar input cable would be guaranteed to work. I have several after market ones and several do not work as expected.

For your "fake solar" cord, are you positive (pardon the pun) that you have an XT60i cable?

From what I understand, the extra middle pin on the XT60i plug is what tells the Delta 2 if your input is car or solar.
I do have what should be an XT60i. Thank you for the reply.

Attachments

• IMG_4722.jpeg
    IMG_4722.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
You need a cable with the middle pin grounded to the negative, for the d2 to switch to solar input and remove the 8A/24V limits. The official ecoflow solar input cable would be guaranteed to work. I have several after market ones and several do not work as expected.
Hmm. But the standard XT60 (yellow) connector on my solar array works fine with it connected to the Delta 2. It correctly registers as solar input 333W in from the array. See first two pics from original post. I switch to the XT60i (orange), for the "fake solar" and it switches to the DC car charger limit. I have a genuine Ecoflow cable on the way. Will see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
I do have what should be an XT60i. Thank you for the reply.
You can't go by visual appearance.

Here's all the ones I've got. the o rings ones def don't work will shutoff when connected to 48V. The elf club works but SAE so more connections. Also ecoflow has the polarities reversed from the common standard.

What I ended up with is these connected to my lynx distributor then a ecoflow and one other xt60i to mc4 cable. That way I can connect black to the positive bus and vice versa.

Screenshot_20240623_230938_Gallery.jpg

You can't go by visual appearance.

Here's all the ones I've got. the o rings ones def don't work will shutoff when connected to 48V. The elf club works but SAE so more connections. Also ecoflow has the polarities reversed from the common standard.

What I ended up with is these connected to my lynx distributor then a ecoflow and one other xt60i to mc4 cable. That way I can connect black to the positive bus and vice versa.

View attachment 224191

Interesting. Thanks. I will check the polarity on the Ecoflow input connector, though it still works with my setup, but just limits the input.
There is a video from Jasonoid where he connects a 48V EG4 rack battery to a Delta 2 Max in similar fashion and achieves the expected results, and says it works on the Delta 2 as well, but he does use the Ecoflow connector. That may be the difference here.

Thank you. The ElfCulb cable you listed worked!! The XT60i connector is visually no different from what I had, but the Elfculb cable works with the Ecoflow to take the power from my DIY converter (and then some). It draws more than the 480W, it draws the full max 500W the solar input is capable of handling, and shows the source as solar, instead of DC car charger. I think it is okay with the extra 20W and will not overwork the source system.

Attachments

• IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4744.jpg
    IMG_4744.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 8
Great thread documenting the cable differences thank you for the detailed info and suggestions.

Today’s 50% off sale was irresistible and I was trying to sort which cable I needed for a delta 2. Support said either xt60 or xt60i would be sufficient.

@Brucey I wanted to get a 10awg cable so having known working options in that size is appreciated.

Great thread documenting the cable differences thank you for the detailed info and suggestions.

Today’s 50% off sale was irresistible and I was trying to sort which cable I needed for a delta 2. Support said either xt60 or xt60i would be sufficient.

@Brucey I wanted to get a 10awg cable so having known working options in that size is appreciated.
the bundled eco flow one is quite thin and works fine. I'm not sure how long your cable is, I couldn't find any with 10awg sizing. for a 15A max input it's simply not required.

I went with the zkee 20ft. Was going to go 10 but thought for a ground deployment setup the extra range might be nice to have.

Thank you this helped me understand why my ecoflow delta pro 2 was only charging at about half speed. Turns out I had an xt60 cable and I needed an xt60i cable. So I'm ordering an xt60 to xt60i adaptor/exension cable and I am hopeful that will fix my issue.
I called the support line and was told both would work 😂

He wasn’t wrong but from what I understand so far the middle pin can be positive, negative or nonexistent. Depending on what signal the device receives is how it determines what amperage rate to use.

I called the support line and was told both would work 😂

He wasn’t wrong but from what I understand so far the middle pin can be positive, negative or nonexistent. Depending on what signal the device receives is how it determines what amperage rate to use.
Any xt60 cable will work but will be limited to 8A unless sense pin is shorted to the negative.

I received my xt60I adapter cable, with the extra pin and added it to the end of the xt60 line, plugged it into the ecoflow, and it didn't change anything. My multimeter says the cable has 98volts and 10.2 amps so the power is there, but the ecoflow is only charging at 500 watss or so. Earlier with more sun I was at 98 volts and 16.5 amps and it was about the same. I tried two different xt60i cables from the same vendor on amazon and both behaved the same. Maybe that seller is selling faulty xt60i cables? I have updated the firmare. The wierd thing is that I have two ecoflows and they both behave the same, which really made me think the xt60cable was the issue. I guess I will try ordering an xt60i from a different place and see if it works any better.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I received my xt60I adapter cable, with the extra pin and added it to the end of the xt60 line, plugged it into the ecoflow, and it didn't change anything. My multimeter says the cable has 98volts and 10.2 amps so the power is there, but the ecoflow is only charging at 500 watss or so. Earlier with more sun I was at 98 volts and 16.5 amps and it was about the same. I tried two different xt60i cables from the same vendor on amazon and both behaved the same. Maybe that seller is selling faulty xt60i cables? I have updated the firmare. The wierd thing is that I have two ecoflows and they both behave the same, which really made me think the xt60cable was the issue. I guess I will try ordering an xt60i from a different place and see if it works any better.

I'm going to try that elfclub cable next, see if that works.

First - did you check to confirm that the extra pin is connected to the negative lead?

Second - there isn't anything in the app to limit solar charging, is there?

The delta 2 is limited to 500w max solar input. The xt60i is needed to reach this.

The xt60 limits it to about 100w to keep from blowing 12v car fuses if charging thru a car jack.

Thats how I understood it so far.

Other models have different specs. You mentioned you have a delta 2 but also say your input is 98v. Something doesn’t sound right there.

The delta 2 is limited to 500w max solar input. The xt60i is needed to reach this.

The xt60 limits it to about 100w to keep from blowing 12v car fuses if charging thru a car jack.

Other models have different specs. You mentioned you have a delta 2 but also say your input is 98v. Something doesn’t sound right there.
I think he has a Delta pro (mentioned voltage of 98V etc).

Since he is getting 500w it is likely not the cable. Betting it is what @JLV03 pointed out with a settings issue.

Maybe purchase an ecoflow xt60i to make certain of compatibility?

My bad. I have a delta Pro. I have two of them actually. I was calling it a delta pro 2 because the new one is called a Delta pro 3 and I thought the current model must be delta pro 2.

Today I received two more xt60I cables from Amazon, which I ordered from to get fast shipping, but neither one of them work any better than the previous ones. I'm not sure I could tell if the pin were soldered, even if I cut it apart. I guess I will try the official ecoflow cables and see if those are any better. Ecoflow was not helpful at all, they just said it charged at different rates depending on conditions. I checked the app and didn't find anything to limit charging.

Have other people successfully got their delta pros to charge at full speed?

This video helped me understand the cables better. It will also show you how to determine middle pin polarity.

@RobRobRob If you are getting 500w thru your xt60i cable it is likely the correct cable for solar. The xt60 only allows 8 amps or about 100w. Using the included cigarette lighter cord would likely verify the difference in charge rates for you.

Ive had my delta 2 for a couple of days so still new to it myself. I’m not certain on the other models but there is a software side that might have settings you need to switch. For example is the “quiet charge” feature enabled? That might be causing it to charge at a lower rate to reduce fan noise. Possibly the optimized battery setting telling it to charge slower for better battery lifespan?

Last edited:
Following up... the problem is definitely my ecoflows. Both of them do not charge more than about 900 watts at most. Although briefly for a few seconds it charged around 1200 watts but then throttled itself down to 900. But I just got a Bluetti AC200L and it is charging at its max of 1200 watts with no problems. So I am pretty sure Ecoflow is not performing up to its specifications.

diy solar

diy solar
Back