diy solar

diy solar

EcoFlow Delta Pro Ultra issues

Unwin

Pulled the trigger on an EcoFlow Delta Pro Ultra (DPU) and I'm kind of meh on it and unlikely to expand or integrate it into the house. I got the $1k off discount. I'd previously built (and still have) a DIY system using 400ah of SOK batteries, a Giandel inverter, and victron for the solar charge controller and shunt. I really appreciate the DIY process and plan to do a 48v system next. But I needed more capacity ASAP and the DPU looked like the most expedient option.

Things I like:
  • Well packaged
  • Worked out of the box
  • Battery cables are very low profile

Dislikes:
  • No real manual. All they have is the web user guide which is superficial if I'm being generous. I asked support about it and they pointed me at the web guide I was complaining about. Twice. It's reasonable to expect to be able to download a comprehensive manual for offline use and to find/search through.
  • Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). Even when the inverter is not running, it interferes with common frequencies like 146.520MHz. I'd be more forgiving if it was when the inverter is on, but neither AC or DC are on. Turn off the DPU, emission goes away. I contacted EcoFlow support and they told me I could put it in a "faraday cage". (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • No State of Charge graph in the app. Figured if they were showing charts of Input and Output over time, they must have a SoC chart. Nope. I contacted support and twice they told me to go to the app screen with the charts, which only has input and output.
  • SoC / shunt seems unreliable - After a full 100% charge and plenty of time to balance, I lowered the full charge level to 90%. Each night I'd run a load of about 330W AC while the input was switched off. At first it'd do a night (8 hours) and have something like 54%, which is about right for the size battery and inverter efficiency. After a few days of using it overnight and letting it charge back up to "90%", it'd go from "90%" down to "8%". Quotes to imply my skepticism of its readings. Last night I charged it back up to 100% and it ended at about 54%. So I have trouble trusting the SoC.
  • DC output PowerPole has an annoying over-under orientation. Most DC users follow a "Red Right, Eh (A)" convention where, when looking at the powerpole, with the Anderson A in the normal upward orientation, the red positive connector is on the right. The DPU uses an over-under orientation so I'll need to remember to keep an adapter cable with it.
  • Can't turn the unit off while it's plugged in. It just won't do it. You need to unplug or switch off the AC input in order to power down the unit.
  • The name, "Pro Ultra", come on ;-)
I could live with these frustrations more if it was a few hundred dollar small capacity product, or even mid level. But for their top of the line product, it's disappointing. If I didn't have these experiences, I'd plunk down for more batteries and the Smart Home Panel 2. As it stands, I'll probably sell it once I build a 48v DIY system.

Anyone else actually get a DPU? Thoughts from other owners are appreciated.

Pulled the trigger on an EcoFlow Delta Pro Ultra (DPU) and I'm kind of meh on it and unlikely to expand or integrate it into the house. I got the $1k off discount. I'd previously built (and still have) a DIY system using 400ah of SOK batteries, a Giandel inverter, and victron for the solar charge controller and shunt. I really appreciate the DIY process and plan to do a 48v system next. But I needed more capacity ASAP and the DPU looked like the most expedient option.

Things I like:
  • Well packaged
  • Worked out of the box
  • Battery cables are very low profile

Dislikes:
  • No real manual. All they have is the web user guide which is superficial if I'm being generous. I asked support about it and they pointed me at the web guide I was complaining about. Twice. It's reasonable to expect to be able to download a comprehensive manual for offline use and to find/search through.
  • Radio Frequency Interference (RFI). Even when the inverter is not running, it interferes with common frequencies like 146.520MHz. I'd be more forgiving if it was when the inverter is on, but neither AC or DC are on. Turn off the DPU, emission goes away. I contacted EcoFlow support and they told me I could put it in a "faraday cage". (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • No State of Charge graph in the app. Figured if they were showing charts of Input and Output over time, they must have a SoC chart. Nope. I contacted support and twice they told me to go to the app screen with the charts, which only has input and output.
  • SoC / shunt seems unreliable - After a full 100% charge and plenty of time to balance, I lowered the full charge level to 90%. Each night I'd run a load of about 330W AC while the input was switched off. At first it'd do a night (8 hours) and have something like 54%, which is about right for the size battery and inverter efficiency. After a few days of using it overnight and letting it charge back up to "90%", it'd go from "90%" down to "8%". Quotes to imply my skepticism of its readings. Last night I charged it back up to 100% and it ended at about 54%. So I have trouble trusting the SoC.
  • DC output PowerPole has an annoying over-under orientation. Most DC users follow a "Red Right, Eh (A)" convention where, when looking at the powerpole, with the Anderson A in the normal upward orientation, the red positive connector is on the right. The DPU uses an over-under orientation so I'll need to remember to keep an adapter cable with it.
  • Can't turn the unit off while it's plugged in. It just won't do it. You need to unplug or switch off the AC input in order to power down the unit.
  • The name, "Pro Ultra", come on ;-)
I could live with these frustrations more if it was a few hundred dollar small capacity product, or even mid level. But for their top of the line product, it's disappointing. If I didn't have these experiences, I'd plunk down for more batteries and the Smart Home Panel 2. As it stands, I'll probably sell it once I build a 48v DIY system.

Anyone else actually get a DPU? Thoughts from other owners are appreciated.
I don’t have the DPU but had other kinds of issues with the D2M related to firmware. Engaging with their support was futility - including sending it in to them with a very specific description of the issues. They kept it for a few days and shipped it back to me with no explanation whatsoever and with the same issues still persisting. A lot of people have all kinds of issues with the EcoFlow products. I’m done with them. Sold mine on EBay. They’re great for certain use cases but some hardware issues and lots of firmware issues. Promise is always that the next firmware version will resolve issues, which sometimes eventually happens and often times new issues come along with the new firmware. Tired of fighting with them.

Back