diy solar

diy solar

Efficiency issue or...????

I do have the dongle to set up for ethernet. I'll check into both. I really don't want my data for this system on the internet if I can help it. But I want to be sure my system is working so...
If you want your data saved locally, consider Solar Assistant.. I runs on a Raspbery PI and saves all your data on a local SSD or Micro. I have a SolArk and use Solar Assistant but am looking forward to the new server from SolArk but techinically it will be on the Internet, servers presumably in Texas instead of China.

I do have the dongle to set up for ethernet. I'll check into both. I really don't want my data for this system on the internet if I can help it. But I want to be sure my system is working so...
Understand.

If you already have the dongles you can just put them on and make sure they have WiFi access.

PVPRO on mobile or https://pv.inteless.com/login on web.

You have to setup a plant then add each inverter to the plant.
I believe the instructions are in the Sol-Ark manual.

Collect data for as long as it takes to solve your issue then pull the dongles

Or go with Solar assistant.

If you want your data saved locally, consider Solar Assistant.. I runs on a Raspbery PI and saves all your data on a local SSD or Micro. I have a SolArk and use Solar Assistant but am looking forward to the new server from SolArk but techinically it will be on the Internet, servers presumably in Texas instead of China.
If it runs on a pi, can it not also run on a linux box or in a linux vm?

That will probably seal the deal, then on the Solar Assistant choice for me. There are as many (if not more) criminal, tyrannical, dangerous folks here in the US as there are in China. They're all in the same club! lol

You could also use the clamp meter to make sure that the amps you read coming through the PV cables is as much as the inverter claims it is receiving.
I also highly recommend you get a Raspberry Pi and Solar Assistant, it's a brilliant program.

Just set up the sol arc dongle to the net and the phone app and you will see the info in real time,Its your own account
I did not read who much panel output you have to power the 54KW battery bank? whats the panel output?
my 24 X400=(9600) watt panels power our 22.5kw batteries down here in north coastal cal in about two hours of ok winter sun

Last edited:
@SHTF Power Anyway please tell us more about those batteries.
They Seem to have an ethernet cable attached which suggests they can communicate but you I don't see that they are attached to the all in ones?
The batteries themselves may have a user interface that will tell us valuable information.

I think you have this.
It speaks canbus, modbus and wifi.
Also proclaims 98% round trip efficiency.

Just set up the sol arc dongle to the net and the phone app and you will see the info in real time,Its your own account
I did not read who much panel output you have to power the 54KW battery bank? whats teh panel output?
my 24 X400=(9600) watt panels power our 22.5kw batteries down here in north coastal cal in about two hours of ok winter sun
I have 14,405 watts in 38 panels on two roofs that are, unfortunately, not perfectly south facing and not adjustable for season. We just couldn't fit ground mounts in where it made any sense so that fact coupled with PNW weather in SW Washington State, we're getting less than 5 kwh today. The day I recorded the production and watched the battery levels that are being discussed in this thread was a pretty darn cloud free day until the planes came by and farted on my parade! lol

We're working on ethernet wiring and software setup as soon as my husband's back is able to do the ladder work. I still think we have an issue somewhere but it appears to be during the uptake, not when the system is at rest. I'm waiting to hear back from Fortress to have them take a look at the batteries.

If you attempt to compute gas mileage of your car by driving from when the gauge shows 3/4 full down to 1/4 full, then you add 4 gallons and it reads 1/2 full ...

you'll have absolutely no idea how accurate the measurements are.

If you top off the tank, drive some miles, add a measured amount of fuel, drive some more miles, measure how much fuel to top off ...

Then you'll have a very accurate calculation of gas mileage (assuming no fraudulently calibrated gas pumps.)

The only time SoC of or battery is sure to be accurate is when it is returned to a resting voltage of around 3.5V or so per cell. Anywhere between about 10% and 90%, you have no idea actual SoC unless input and output current is accurately measured. Shunt properly calibrated, it might be. I'm guessing your SoC reports are off.
I just received the following from Fortress:

As per recent troubleshoots, we have identified that the Modbus (RS485) communication protocol in our installed systems have showed instability with Fortress batteries. We have overcome this issue by shifting the communication protocol to CAN bus.

While the system is in Modbus protocol, due to the inconsistent exchange of information between battery and inverter have caused irregular charging and discharging cycle. We would like you to follow the guide to set the system in open loop configuration and remove the communication cable between the inverter and the battery. Open-Loop Settings - Fortress Power.

*The SOC % is a calculated value directly from the voltages of the battery, if sol-ark reads the wrong voltage due to communication issue. It's showing wrong SOC on the sol-ark screen*

We are temporarily setting the system in open loop system, until we are ready to set up in closed loop CAN communication protocol. In order to shift to CAN protocol, you would need to update the battery firmware on each one of them, as well as need a new modified cable plugged between battery and inverter. I will ship out a CAN tool (required to update the battery firmware) and modified cable.

You can find the latest firmware and instruction on this page, Firmware - Fortress Power. Once you have the CAN tool, we can schedule a remote session help you guide update the firmware on the BMS of the battery.
Once we have successfully updated the firmware, we can follow the closed loop communication protocol guide eFlex CANbus Communication - Fortress Power

On another battery note. My 3 kilovolt batteries (7.8kw each) did not talk to each other . That is two are version threes and one is version 4. When I had just two 3s they talked fine and the new this past year version 4 would not talk to the 3rs and the charge was not equal with them all. I have them all going to a central contection terminal . then to the sol arc. They have never been hooked via CAN comunication with the sol arc.. The inverter charges the whole bank as one unit which works great. I got my batteries thru Alt-E store and they worked with me on this for a short time and just gave up on it and droppped all support. Sol Arc says its no big deal and suggest to communication with batteries is just fine as long as the settings are right.

here is a snap shot of my system showing (sol ark 15k) that at high solar intake with minimal house loads the efficiency is 91% or so
solark15k.png

Its a cloudy rainy day here and my system is at 90% efficiency right now as well

Right now with the low sun here in Extreme Nortnern California on the coast our panels only get full sun exposure for 4 hours a day.. 10ish to 2 pm. Some days this will not charge our battery bank. (9,600 watts) 24x 400 amp panels. The batteries are 3 x 7.5 Kilovualts=22.5kw.
I'm thinking your 54kw batteries and the 14,405 watts will not tiop off those batteries an a daily basis during mid winter.
I set my sol arc to take the utility power to top off the batteries so during during our expensive power time of 5pm to 8 m its always on battery power. We get thru the night from 5 pm to 10 am on batteries now even in dead of winter. Our largest load is well pump (3/4 Hr motor)
I will add that if its sunny (not overcast or rainy) the batteries charge in about 2 hours. but winter sun is a rare thing here.

So I have a Sol Ark 15. Chances are your Sol Ark SOC is way off especially with cloudy days. I have Solar Assistant which is connected to my Sol Ark and my Batteries. I am running open loop. I also installed a Victron Smart shunt on my system. So I have 3 methods to check my actual SOC the Sol Ark, the shunt and the Battery BMS. If things start looking off I can get my SOC direct from the battery BMS through Solar Assistant and then I check my Victron shunt. It parallel’s my BMS almost always within 1%. My Sol Ark SOC is the least accurate of the bunch. Almost always reads 3-10% too high and I’m certain your is also.

Back