diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV specs confusion

cowduck

I have a question about the EG4 18kPV specs: https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/EG4-18KPV-12LV-Spec-Sheet-1.2.1-1.pdf

I will be getting this setup + 1 powerpro battery soon. Grid tied and setup with 200AMP load center.

I understand when the grid is down I am limited to 50A or 12,000 Watts output. However, when the grid is up am I still only limited to 50A?

The specs say "Max. Continuous Output Current" 50A. Then AC Bypass (Grid) 200A. Does this mean I am limited to 50A even when the grid is up? Or am I reading this wrong, and I get the full 200 amp output when grid is up?

eg4.png

Last edited:
No, I believe you're limited on outputting 50A (of 240v) of your own power, and the rest (up to 200A) can be fed via grid (bypass).

I don't think you can exceed 200 amps in any situation though, so it would only be able to pull 150A from the grid. (holy crap thats a lot of instant power).

I agree the 200 amps is generous and I will never use that much. I was just confused that I would be limited to 50A only while also on grid power.
Now I understand the 50amps limitation is when being pulled from battery.

The 50amp limit is the most AC output from the inverter, this includes PV and battery, additional PV power can also be sent to the battery up to the 18k limit.

I agree the 200 amps is generous and I will never use that much. I was just confused that I would be limited to 50A only while also on grid power.
Now I understand the 50amps limitation is when being pulled from battery.
Battery/Solar or any combination. (y)

keep in mind the powerpro can only send 200A max continuous, which is 9600W AC or so. That would be your grid down no solar max.
Thats an interesting note, as well as it being limited to 100A of charge from the factory firmware... So 1 battery is gonna be clipped by a 5k array in full sun? Thats a no-go right there. (i see the updated firmware and BMS throttling note). So technically with the power pro, you're gonna need 3 batteries to not clip.. I could see upping it just a bit to 120A, so that with 2 batteries you could full charge 12kw.

Hell the server rack ones are again, "rated" for 1C, but most only charge at 30/50 amps per battery.

Great pointing that out for us not super paying attention. (y)

Yup
The 18kpv requires 2 powerpro batteries, to get the 12k maximum output.
Don't know the powerpro, but 12000w / 50v = 240A. So you will need to be able to provide ~250A @ 50v continuously (5% loss is likely) to push a full 50A. I went to 6 Lifepower4's for two inverters (24KW) they are rated at 100A max continuous output.

I don’t see why you have to get two at once under the proper interpretation of IRA…
I don’t believe you can use the credit more than once on the same system or address, so the most effective option would be to max out the most expensive components if possible.

I don’t believe you can use the credit more than once on the same system or address, so the most effective option would be to max out the most expensive components if possible.
There's plenty of disagreement on this centered around how to read "qualified solar electric property" (is it referring to electric at a property of real estate? is the electrical equipment the property?), so we can agree to disagree too.

I believe the last time this came up on the forum someone found an IRS explainer clarifying it.

There's plenty of disagreement on this centered around how to read "qualified solar electric property" (is it referring to electric at a property of real estate? is the electrical equipment the property?), so we can agree to disagree too.

I believe the last time this came up on the forum someone found an IRS explainer clarifying it.
Right, I remember reading elsewhere the credit is associated with the address. Either way, I would personally err on the side less likely to get me an audit if there is confusion! But I digress, the 18kPV seems to prefer 2 batteries for maximum capability.

Back