diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000– 120v voltage at AC input plug?

Cardude

I recently built a “portable” power station like Will built in one of his videos with an EG4 3000 AIO and an EG4 lifepower4 48v battery. It all seems to work well, but I noticed something strange today when getting ready to plug it into my little 2200 Yamaha generator to see if it would charge the battery.

For some reason I tested the end of the plug before plugging it into my generator (I installed an extension cord like Will did to the AC input) and with the inverter on it has 59v between the line and ground, and the same voltage at the load prong and ground. Did I wire something incorrectly or is this normal? I wired like the attached photo from the manual.

I have plugged this cord into my 120v socket in the garage and it charged up the battery fine, but wanted to make sure it would not fry my generator somehow with 120v power present at the output plug of the generator.

If this is OK, what’s the procedure for starting up the generator? Does the inverter need to be on or off? Battery on or off?

Attachments

• IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    892.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9760.jpeg
    IMG_9760.jpeg
    844.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 13
Judging by this Screenshot_20231111_100649_Chrome.jpg
There's no actual power available. (There are no sparks flying) You are just reading a potential between the two points.
Nothing to be concerned about.

Arrrgh, sorry, that photo is not how I was measuring it. I must have kicked the positive lead or something. I was measuring across to the ground from just one of the other flat prongs and it read 59v on each prong.

But I’m an electrical idiot, so maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

I tried it again, with a video:

Last edited:
Back