diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000 monitoring with Home Assistant

TheGreyPaladin

Is it possible to do even basic monitoring via Home Assistant of the EG4 3000? I see people buying Solar Assistant and then monitoring that but can you not do basic monitoring of it via MQTT or some such directly in home assistant?

I have the same question, but more generally across various products such as the EG4 6000XP. I'm preparing to replace a Renogy 3500 all-in-one with something better. I run an MQTT system with InfluxDB for irrigation and DC/PoE system monitoring, so integrating solar into this would be ideal.

There may be other options, but Solar Assistant will feed HA via MQTT. Without SA, you need some other option that will talk to the inverter to send data. I know there are SOME native options for that (I also have an Enphase system that is supported directly.) EG4 inverters don't seem to have native support in HA.

Yup, Solar Assistant will by my likely solution (though it requires a dedicated Pi, just like Victron which I run for the DC system's shunt. HA also requires a dedicated Pi unless you're masochistic, haha). All that said, the very scarce winter daylight makes every watt precious.

Is it possible to do even basic monitoring via Home Assistant of the EG4 3000? I see people buying Solar Assistant and then monitoring that but can you not do basic monitoring of it via MQTT or some such directly in home assistant?
What protocol does the EG4 3000 use? Modbus RTU? PI30 and the like? If it uses PI30 like the EG4 6500, try wombatt. If it uses anything else like modbus RTU or modbus TCP and there's documentation with the register map, it should be easy to add support for it.

Back