diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6.5kW Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

EPicTony

Solar Enthusiast
I am building a off grid system using 2 EG4 6500EX-48 inverters in a 240vac split phase setup.
I have an EG4 battery bank 30kwh. I can not seem to find what size the AC input CB should be.
It says 4g or 6g wire but nothing on the size of the protective CB.
I'm also confused about the AC input function. Is it only to charge the battery bank or will it also feed power to the AC output section of the inverter ?
Finally my last question assuming it only is for charging the battery, in the setup menu is there a parameter that will limit the charging current to the batteries (and therefore the amount of AC input current) ? Thanks for any help.

I am building a off grid system using 2 EG4 6500EX-48 inverters in a 240vac split phase setup.
I have an EG4 battery bank 30kwh. I can not seem to find what size the AC input CB should be.
I'm also confused about the AC input function. Is it only to charge the battery bank or will it also feed power to the AC output section of the inverter ?
Finally my last question assuming it only is for charging the battery, in the setup menu is there a parameter that will limit the charging current to the batteries (and therefore the amount of AC input current) ? Thanks for any help.
I have the same question.

You always size the circuit breaker to protect the wire (in accordance with NEC). The wire size is determined by factors such as max device current draw, length (voltage drop), etc...

The manufacturer, EG4 is recommending 4 AWG wire size on the AC input / output connections, which can handle 85a of current. So probably up to a 60a breaker could be used with 4 AWG wire no problem (within the 80% rule).

1658688900975.png

Ref:

The EG4 manual also states in the specs that the max AC input draw is 60a, so that could be close to a 60a breaker rating. It may not be likely that it gets that close and ever trip a 60a breaker, but going to a larger breaker may require 3 AWG cable (to stay within the 80% rule). And also not sure how big the AC connection lugs are on the 6500EX, what is the largest gauge cable that the connector can receive.

Specs on Page 42 in the EG4 manual:

And on your last question, if it is like the MPP Solar LV6548, the AC battery charger would function only while in inverter 'bypass' mode (not sure if it's the same on the EG4 6500EX). But when in bypass, the AC input just feeds the AC output instead of running in inverter mode. You may have to check with EG4 to see if the 6500EX offers the ability to charge the battery bank while still running in inverter mode instead of having to put it into bypass mode to charge from AC input charger, like on the LV6548s.

I know the LV6548s and the 6500EX have many similarities, we have already seen they have several differences, especially with regards to the PV charger circuit design. So far, I do not know if there are other differences related to the inverter section, and handling of the AC inputs / outputs and the charger section, in relation to inverter mode vs bypass mode.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention one more important question. I have a 200amp main panel, there is only 1 spare 20 amp breaker:cry:. My electrical contractor went crazy breaking every little thing out into it's own circuit.
So I need a 60amp breaker per inverter ? In other words 2 - 60amp breakers. If this is so I don't know how I'm going to pull this off. Any ideas ?

Would this work ? One pole to each inverter ???

Eaton BR260 2" 60 Amp Double Pole Interchangeable Circuit Breaker​

1658698373163.png

Correct, one pole to each inverter.You need only one 60 amp breaker if you are running two inverters in split phase. These are 120volt inverters and you cannot hook one breaker to each inverter or you will be sending in 240 volts, a recipe for disaster. You have to split the hots and neutrals and run to each inverter.
Watch

The weak link is probably the relay in the all in one.
The EG4 manual should indicate the breaker size along with the wire size.
I looked and found the wire size recommendation but not breaker size in their doco.

AC input will power AC output if batt is too low, assuming you have it set to.
Batt charge can be by utility, utility + solar, or solar only. You can can decide how much total and for each. I have 2A utlity, 60 A total. So during Solat, I get solar charge only, then at night 2A to keep the Batt some what happy.

Correct, one pole to each inverter.You need only one 60 amp breaker if you are running two inverters in split phase. These are 120volt inverters and you cannot hook one breaker to each inverter or you will be sending in 240 volts, a recipe for disaster. You have to split the hots and neutrals and run to each inverter.
Watch
I'm not clear on this "you cannot hook one breaker to each inverter or you will be sending in 240 volts". On the double pole breaker, 1 pole is L1 and the other is L2, both 120vac. L1 will go to one inverter and L2 will go to the other inverter. Can you clarify your statement? Thanks

You are right. Inverter 1 goes to one pole of the CB. Inverter 2 goes to the other pole of the CB. Those would feed each of the legs in the panel. Each poke gets 120, but each are 180 degrees out of phase giving you the 240V you want.

Just a reminder the eg4 is not a grid tied inverter so if you do feed your panel this way make sure any main CB from the utility feeding that panel is off otherwise you will hear a tremendous pop and sparks and smoke or worse will spill out of your new inverter. Just wanted to be clear. I just reread your original post and saw the off grid.

'"On the double pole breaker, 1 pole is L1 and the other is L2, both 120vac. L1 will go to one inverter and L2 will go to the other inverter" This is as Dude says, correct.

AC input will power AC output if batt is too low, assuming you have it set to.
Batt charge can be by utility, utility + solar, or solar only. You can can decide how much total and for each. I have 2A utlity, 60 A total. So during Solat, I get solar charge only, then at night 2A to keep the Batt some what happy.
hi,

So you can set the inverter charge only at night? I would like the battery to be charge at a certain time(off peak) and discharge at a certain time(peak). Possible? I know Growatt supports this function. Would this vary between the EX and the older model?

hi,

So you can set the inverter charge only at night? I would like the battery to be charge at a certain time(off peak) and discharge at a certain time(peak). Possible? I know Growatt supports this function. Would this vary between the EX and the older model?
Under "charging source priority", if you set to "solar+utility", it will charge from grid when solar is no longer available. It will only charge from grid when it is not using battery though. So on mine, it gets to 48v, switches back to grid (utility) and then the grid trickles in 2amps, the lowest setting but I only do from one inverter so my batteries don't get any lower than the stop point until the sun is back. At 7-730 am I have 50V and it switches back to solar and I have enough solar for small loads, 800 watts ish. By 9-930, I'm good for anything. I don't know about a time setting but I know someone posted about that but I don't know if the time was for charging.

I don't know about a time setting but I know someone posted about that but I don't know if the time was for charging.

I've seen some chargers which had a setting for Absorption time (my Magnum MS2812 has this) which is a user adjustable setting, some are hard set to like 4 hours or something like that (based on what I've seen).

I don't know how all chargers on the market behave though, or are intended to operate (with various charging algorithms out there), but I think it is common for absorption stage to be on a max time limit, before switching to Float stage..

Back