diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX-48

Marqese

I recently bought 2 of the EG4 6000EX 48 inverters. Unfortunately there is an issue with the mounting brackets. The 2 units I received the brackets were completely broken off. I contacted signature solar and they are aware of the bracket issues with these inverters and offered to fix the brackets in house or fix them myself and still keep the warranty intact. I having a hard time trusting if the rivets will hold.

My question is I have the the big dewalt shelf with 3 EG4 server rack batteries on the second shelf can I just have the 2 inverters flat on the top shelf?

I have seen Will Prowse mount then flat for a video but that was not a long term situation as far as I know.
Engineers design these things with heat flow in mind so it might not be a good idea to do it if the unit will be running 24/7 with a fair size load on it.

Are you saying that they shipped these out to you knowing that the brackets were already broken?
If so I would ship send them back for replacement Inverters with brackets that are factory attached.

When I called them when I discover the brackets were broken they said it’s a known issue. As you can see in the photos the rivets were just broken D984FBBF-0575-4E74-BF18-02154F67980E.jpeg

Attachments

• EA650FDE-6D1D-46F6-B413-B6956E20C3CE.jpeg
    EA650FDE-6D1D-46F6-B413-B6956E20C3CE.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 27EF51FE-D58E-487A-8306-A2F82C28417A.jpeg
    27EF51FE-D58E-487A-8306-A2F82C28417A.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 5CD9C050-EE84-4ED8-B5BD-99ED8624AAB0.jpeg
    5CD9C050-EE84-4ED8-B5BD-99ED8624AAB0.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 22
  • C633A96E-C694-4BD0-B3DC-CAB68A7BD605.jpeg
    C633A96E-C694-4BD0-B3DC-CAB68A7BD605.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 22
I know it might seem like a bit of a pain, but perhaps one could strip the inverter insides all the way out, and drill holes through the case and bracket, where the rivets were (vacuum all the metal shavings out), install countersink bolts from the inside (if necessary, if head would be in close proximity to touching any board electronics or anything) then put a shallow nut on the outside if needed , and cut off the excess thread from any bolts sticking out.

It seems lame to have to try some repair like that but for some people that could be an option I suppose, to just make a DIY repair and then reassemble unit carefully in the same way it was disassembled...

One would have to have a closer look, to validate that there would be enough room for bolts/nuts to co-exist and not get in the way of or interfere with anything around it on either the inside or the outside.

Last edited:
Just checked both of mine
20220924_220723.jpg

They feel solid and I didn't have an issue with the lvx I had with the same bracket. That's unfortunate yours arrived like that. I wonder if it popped off during shipping because the mail carrier dropped it or bumped it. The LF inverters seem to always have damage when they arrive. Just had another LF inverter arrive damaged yesterday.

Are the backsides of those broken rivets just floating around loose inside the case now? That's a disaster waiting to happen...
That’s a good point I should give them a shake to make sure nothing is rattling around.

Anyone else have this issue? I’m really at a loss because I really needed these up and running but sounds like this could be a safety issue if the rivets are broken off inside the inverter.

Anyone else have this issue? I’m really at a loss because I really needed these up and running but sounds like this could be a safety issue if the rivets are broken off inside the inverter.

Put them on flat surface temporarily.

I have seen Will Prowse mount then flat for a video but that was not a long term situation as far as I know.

Maybe it would be as easy as driving new rivets in from the outside-in (providing there is the depth available on the inside without interference to anything critical. Also get out any pieces flopping around inside...

If the case material is much thinner than the bracket material, can put a flat washer (or a rivet washer) on the rivet on the inside to give it better holding strength before pinching the rivet down (I've done that before when riveting to thin sheet metals).

The question would be how far the rivet can stick out inside the case without hitting anything (that might be why they drove the rivets from the inside-out, so they were more low-profile. Or they may've driven them from inside-out, just because the outer bracket was a lot thicker (acting like the flat washer would).

Yes, unfortunately mine arrived today with the exact same issue. The bracket was completely loose in the box (box appeared to have no damage). At first I thought there must be screws included to attach the bracket as it looked clean and like a completely separate part that one attaches. Stupidly, I then went to the store to track down some m4 or m5 bolts thinking they must have just left them out! None would fit through both the bracket hole and screw into the inverter case. I then realized one of the holes in the bracket had a tiny piece of metal in it which I guess must have been part of a rivet. If Signature Solar was aware of this issue before shipping it to me, I'm not a very happy about that. I would try to use it horizontally but the manual states to use it in vertical orientation only PLUS I can hear something loose in the inverter which must be metal rivet parts.

You guys are scaring me. Good thing my lvx works great and came in a perfect condition...while I wait for the EG4 6.5ks.

How are these units being packaged? I don't care how heavy these units are, there is a science behind proper packaging. Are they using injection molded or custom fitted polyethylene foam? With thick enough, multi-walled corrugated cardboard boxes and custom fitted, heavy duty foam inserts with enough cushioning, they should be able to be dropped and banged around without issue.

Here is the packaging showing the bottom foam. There is an identical foam piece which goes on top.
IMG_7051.jpg

Here is how "clean" the loose bracket and back of inverter looked upon unboxing (except for a very tiny piece of metal in only one of the bracket holes). I removed this tiny piece of metal thinking it was simply a remnant of the manufacturing process. Now I realize is was a broken rivet. I also now notice some minor scratches on the back of the inverter caused by the loose bracket in the box within the plastic containing the inverter.
IMG_7054.jpg
IMG_7053.jpg
IMG_7052.jpg

I took mine apart to fix the bracket the 2 middle rivets are mounted under the transformer. Would a nut and bolt on each end do the trick? 8C5FF167-CFB2-498C-8AA8-B9FB26EC7E57.jpeg

Attachments

• DB34BCF2-ED2C-4A2C-B019-238BDDEE112B.jpeg
    DB34BCF2-ED2C-4A2C-B019-238BDDEE112B.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 9
Here is how "clean" the loose bracket and back of inverter looked upon unboxing (except for a very tiny piece of metal in only one of the bracket holes). I removed this tiny piece of metal thinking it was simply a remnant of the manufacturing process. Now I realize is was a broken rivet. I also now notice some minor scratches on the back of the inverter caused by the loose bracket in the box within the plastic containing the inverter.
View attachment 113541
View attachment 113543
View attachment 113544
What’s next steps for you? Fix or send back?

Just checked both of mine
View attachment 113405

They feel solid and I didn't have an issue with the lvx I had with the same bracket. That's unfortunate yours arrived like that. I wonder if it popped off during shipping because the mail carrier dropped it or bumped it. The LF inverters seem to always have damage when they arrive. Just had another LF inverter arrive damaged yesterday.
I must've been lucky since my lvx came with no damage whatsoever. Or maybe it's Signature...

What’s next steps for you? Fix or send back?
I will call them in the morning and most likely request to return the unit. It's unfortunate because I was sort of counting on this for backup power use during a potential hurricane later this week (FL).

I took mine apart to fix the bracket the 2 middle rivets are mounted under the transformer. Would a nut and bolt on each end do the trick? View attachment 113546
I considered opening mine but noticed a sticker over one of the screws which I suppose would void the warranty. Maybe I will ask about this in the morning.

I will call them in the morning and most likely request to return the unit. It's unfortunate because I was sort of counting on this for backup power use during a potential hurricane later this week (FL).
When I called them last week they gave me the option to send it in and they fix it or fix it myself and keep the warranty intact.

When I called them last week they gave me the option to send it in and they fix it or fix it myself and keep the warranty intact
Seems like they should be obligated to offer the option to return for a full refund or replacement with a new unit given it was purchased as new and is obviously defective. If they fix it and return it, then it's essentially like paying new for a refurbished unit, not a new unit. Anyway, that's what typically happens when receiving broken items by reputable sellers in my experience.

I wonder if it would be helpful to add some of those Sig Solar DIY Forum users to this thread, to get more visibility on the issue. Like with @-user...

I'm not a customer of theirs yet, so I don't really want to get involved on it...

diy solar

diy solar
Back