diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000ex unexpected overload fault code 07

David Martin

Hi guys, sorry if this is a newbie question, i did search. This weekend I commisioned my off grid system (1 Eg4 6000ex, 1 eg4 life power batt, and 4k watts of panels). The unit seems to work great for small 1000 watt loads, but if I try to run my 1800 watt 120v chop saw or 2000 watt 230v well pump it triggers the 07 "overload" fault code. Any ideas why? I'm suspicious I may have my neutral ground bond setup incorrect. I have neutral and ground isolated/seperated at my breaker box and "enabled" at the inverter. Thank you for any help.

It's induction motor surge.
It takes up to 5x the rated running power to start a motor. The 6kex doesn't have enough surge capacity for those types of loads.

I thought the 6000EX is a low frequency inverter? IE: I would expect it to at least be able to run the chop saw. Well pump could be iffy depending on how deep/large, etc.

Ah, you're correct... I was thinking of the 6500EX...

Then yeah, OP will probably need another one in parallel to be able to run those high surge loads

You could try one of these soft starts for the miter saw and depending on what kind of well pump you have. Some well pumps (deep & 230)may need the more expensive kind. Check to see what you already have running on the same leg, you might want to move it around for a better balance. It’s called energy management.
IMG_1074.pngIMG_1075.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually, you were correct. I had it backwards, according to Will's video.
6k is low frequency
6.5k is high frequency
lol, they both advertise "high surge capacity"

to the OP: So if it is indeed a low frequency inverter, I would see if you can confirm that neither of the BMS' are cutting out on your batteries causing a deceiving "07" error on the inverter

Good point! There may be other loads running at the same time that we don't know about
I didn’t notice it before but you have only one battery. That’s a lot of surge for that battery, and it won’t get better at a low state of charge. You still might get away with it with a soft start. Be sure your battery cables are at least the recommended size that the inverter calls for and not too long.

Definitely check to see if it's the battery or inverter that is tripping out. But the surge for those loads is probably too much, anyway.
The surge capacity is rated at 12k for 1 second.
That's at 240v. 120v surge is more likely half, at 6k.
For the chopsaw 120v 1800w running, the surge could be up to 5x. Which is 9k, and well over the 6k limit.
For the well pump, it's under the limit. But the surge duration is probably more than 1 second.

Definitely check to see if it's the battery or inverter that is tripping out. But the surge for those loads is probably too much, anyway.
The surge capacity is rated at 12k for 1 second.
That's at 240v. 120v surge is more likely half, at 6k.
For the chopsaw 120v 1800w running, the surge could be up to 5x. Which is 9k, and well over the 6k limit.
For the well pump, it's under the limit. But the surge duration is probably more than 1 second.
Yeah, it’s going to need some intervention for it to all work ?

You could try one of these soft starts for the miter saw and depending on what kind of well pump you have. Some well pumps (deep & 230)may need the more expensive kind. Check to see what you already have running on the same leg, you might want to move it around for a better balance. It’s called energy management.
View attachment 175160View attachment 175164
Thank you everyone for the quick responses and the soft start idea! I did not know those existed.

Regarding what else is running, nothing is. I turned everything else off.

My battery cables are 2 gauge, 3 foot long.

Regarding Battery, it is fully charged and I have the inverter set to use panels as primary source. I am using Battery communication. I would love another battery or 5, just don't have the funds lol. Do you think 1 more is enough?

I'll work with signature solar to try to figure out if the inverter or battery is tripping.

Lastly, does my neutral ground setup cause anyone concern?

Thank you again for all advice!

It will work. I had the same issue and signature solar told me it’s because I didn’t have enough battery so I added one more life power battery for 10kw and it worked, no problem at all.

So, I think I might have this same issue. I have a 6000ex with 1 battery. Off grid and in my well house. The well pump is the only load on it. It is a 1.5hp pump, 230v, 10.6 amps. As soon as I flip the breaker to the pump outlet I get a fault on the inverter.

Would just 1 extra battery be enough?

So, I think I might have this same issue. I have a 6000ex with 1 battery. Off grid and in my well house. The well pump is the only load on it. It is a 1.5hp pump, 230v, 10.6 amps. As soon as I flip the breaker to the pump outlet I get a fault on the inverter.

Would just 1 extra battery be enough?
Two batteries might work.

Back