diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP practical with 115VDC?

This is great comparison. Its really odd that 6000xp did not wake up at 100v as per specs, even when tier 2 equipment accurately works.

Solar Wizard’s 18K PV did wake up at 100V in his test (not a lab test so still some more vetting needed)

@Will Prowse - Can you please consider testing lower end of PV input voltage of AIO inveters that you review on your YT channel? EG4 6000XP has PV input starting from 100V but it appears to start only at 125V.
Reason: Your testing/review will help customers that have PV array designed under 150V for portable solar generators like Ecoflow delta Pro and interested in expanding their setup using AIO inverter.
Additional info: EG4 18K PV appears to start at 100v PV input but not 6000xp. (see production graph picture from Quattrohead above)
I don't totally get the distinctions between the voltage ranges listed in the manual, but it does mirror what the manual calls the "MPP Operating Voltage Range" of 120-385 VDC. It also lists "DC Input Voltage Range" of 100-480 VDC. If the MPP doesn't operate until ~120 volts, I don't see what the 100 volt level. Perhaps that's the "wakeup" point, but doesn't start being able to pull power until ~120 volts.

I don't totally get the distinctions between the voltage ranges listed in the manual, but it does mirror what the manual calls the "MPP Operating Voltage Range" of 120-385 VDC. It also lists "DC Input Voltage Range" of 100-480 VDC. If the MPP doesn't operate until ~120 volts, I don't see what the 100 volt level. Perhaps that's the "wakeup" point, but doesn't start being able to pull power until ~120 volts.
It takes 120v to wake up. But can continue to produce down to 100v.

Just buy a specific MPPT designed for 48v. I have a 150/35 Victron MPPT that claims to start when solar rises (something like) 5-12v above the current battery voltage.

What would that setup look like? PV > Victron 150/35 > EG4 PowerPro > Ecoflow Delta pro > Sub-panel?

Today I have PV > Ecoflow > Sub-panel
What I want PV > AIO inverter + PowerPro > Sub-panel
My setup is in the garage, space is limited and aesthetics are important. That is the reason for not buying another Ecoflow Delta unit.

What would that setup look like? PV > Victron 150/35 > EG4 PowerPro > Ecoflow Delta pro > Sub-panel?

Today I have PV > Ecoflow > Sub-panel
What I want PV > AIO inverter + PowerPro > Sub-panel
My setup is in the garage, space is limited and aesthetics are important. That is the reason for not buying another Ecoflow Delta unit.
If you want to maximize low voltage solar. You need a low voltage mppt. AIO are geared towards high voltage arrays.

It takes 120v to wake up. But can continue to produce down to 100v.

@AZ Solar Junkie @timselectric - Can you please consider explaining what B and C means for 6000xp?

PV INPUT DATA
NUMBER OF MPPTS 2
INPUTS PER MPPT 1
MAX. USABLE INPUT CURRENT 17/17A
MAX. SHORT CIRCUIT INPUT CURRENT 25/25A
A - DC INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE 100-480 VDC
B - UNIT STARTUP VOLTAGE
100 VDC ± 10 VDC

C-MPP OPERATING VOLTAGE RANGE 120-385 VDC
NOMINAL MPPT VOLTAGE 320 VDC

@AZ Solar Junkie @timselectric - Can you please consider explaining what B and C means for 6000xp?

PV INPUT DATA
NUMBER OF MPPTS 2
INPUTS PER MPPT 1
B - UNIT STARTUP VOLTAGE
100 VDC ± 10 VDC

B - I assume this is when the MPPT Turns on, but no power is produced. (Worth noting that MPPT Idle consumption goes up but the solar isn’t sufficient to offset the MPPT usage) just my opinion.

I could be way off.

PV INPUT DATA
NUMBER OF MPPTS 2
INPUTS PER MPPT 1
B - UNIT STARTUP VOLTAGE
100 VDC ± 10 VDC

A. It can produce from a voltage between 100-480v.
B. And requires 100v +or - 10v to start (wake) up.
C. Works best between 120v and 385v.
320v is the optimal efficiency.

Reactions: ATX
You have provided excellent information!!!

What are your thoughts on this result? At 6:42a, your EG4 18K started production. The specs below show operating voltage for 18K starts from 100v and at 6.42a, your PV input is exactly 100v!

I am not sure why 6000XP did not fire up at 100V when Hightechlab used power supply.
Question - Is your EG4 showing the exact same power that your array is producing? For e.g. Delta Pro shows less than array output because it subtracts (~100W) for powering itself. My thinking is that, you array may be producing higher voltage than EG4 18K app is showing.

Specs for 18K - https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/EG4-18KPV-12LV-Spec-Sheet.pdf
I think it shows actual PV power produced per input. It idles around 70w so obviously this is a drop in the ocean (>1%) for it's maximum 18,000w total production.
I would like to track the startup with full sun.....I can look back but not 100% sure on the conditions on previous days so would prefer to do it "live"

Just buy a specific MPPT designed for 48v. I have a 150/35 Victron MPPT that claims to start when solar rises (something like) 5-12v above the current battery voltage.
This would be the ideal situation. I have used the Victron 150/60 for 3 years. LOVED it. Yes, it started at 60v.

Tho the only problem I had was it doesnt log data more than the basics without using VRM which is an additional $300 purchase to get to where the AIOs already include. I paid $1100 for a Victron 150/60, a raspberry pi, a Victron VE direct cable, SD card and extra cables. ALL of this would not be needed if OP just rewired the array.

This would be the ideal situation. I have used the Victron 150/60 for 3 years. LOVED it. Yes, it started at 60v.

Tho the only problem I had was it doesnt log data more than the basics without using VRM which is an additional $300 purchase to get to where the AIOs already include. I paid $1100 for a Victron 150/60, a raspberry pi, a Victron VE direct cable, SD card and extra cables. ALL of this would not be needed if OP just rewired the array.
OP has two arrays of three panels facing different directions. What will happen with an MPPT when it seeks optimal power when three of the panels in series aren't as lit up as the other three?

I think it shows actual PV power produced per input. It idles around 70w so obviously this is a drop in the ocean (>1%) for it's maximum 18,000w total production.
I would like to track the startup with full sun.....I can look back but not 100% sure on the conditions on previous days so would prefer to do it "live"
It makes sense that it shows actual PV input voltage, current and power.

OP has two arrays of three panels facing different directions. What will happen with an MPPT when it seeks optimal power when three of the panels in series aren't as lit up as the other three?
It will receive most of its power from the higher illuminated string.
The other string will provide what it can, though it will be limited.
But still capable of producing VOC. So, it won't pull against the other string.

If you want to maximize low voltage solar. You need a low voltage mppt. AIO are geared towards high voltage arrays.

With an array at the lower extreme and no way to increase the voltage with more panels. Either OP needs to investigate alternate ways to increase the voltage (like adding MLPE) in case some of the engineering is wrong / cannot convince folks to do the testing for them (and they would need to get multiple people to do this testing to diversify against various sources of mistakes).

Or go with separate MPPT where the operating voltage range is in the sweetspot.

That approach also hedges against the quite real possibility that the hardware physically cannot do it, or if OP misunderstands the information provided back to them / misses some adjustment math. If I was doing this I would go with two backup plans to someone telling me "115V works fine".

There are sometimes threads here where a string is designed with too low of a voltage on high voltage MPPTs, and it cuts out in the summer with temperature-based sag.

Another approach is to throw in the towel on 6000XP and wait for an AC-coupled AIO at the same price point. That allows either SolarEdge inverter + optimizers to handle the tiny arrays outside the sweetspot of a HV MPPT like on 6000XP, or converting to microinverter strings.

Another approach is to throw in the towel on 6000XP and wait for an AC-coupled AIO at the same price point. That allows either SolarEdge inverter + optimizers to handle the tiny arrays outside the sweetspot of a HV MPPT like on 6000XP, or converting to microinverter strings.
Yes, I will continue to use current setup.
Thank you once again for finding information for me!

My 48V Off-Grid system has 12x200W panels on DA Tracker wired 4 in-series to a MidNite 200 Classic. I just installed a 6000XP inverter & 4 each EG4-LL and also curious how it will react to 100-130VDC as PV Input. I have a 2nd fixed array 6x385W wired 3 in-series and plan to rewire it for 6 in-series for 2nd PV input. But first, I have to replace all the combiner breakers with 250VDC types.

ScrotusGobbleBottom: When you say "My first ounce of solar starts at 60 watts" , do you have an associated PV Voltage along with that figure?

Hi, When you say starts up at 60 watts, do you have a PV voltage level reference to go with that?

Back