diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Solar Assistant MPPT 3?

zevind

So I just replaced a fried 6500EX with a shiny new 6000XP inverter. I updated my Solar Assistant to the beta channel to get better LuxPower support, and everything went pretty smoothly. However, in the inverter details page, there is Voltage and Amperage lines for MPPT1, MPPT2, and MPPT3, which, I find rather confusing. What I find worrisome is that while MPPT1 shows a fairly safe voltage of 350-ish volts, MPPT3 always show something ~50v higher, like 393ish so far today.

Where is this extra mppt data coming from, and why is it so much higher? I'm worried about hitting that magic 480v where the smoke gets let out, even though I calculated a Max VOC of these panels of 57v even with a record low temp given their datasheet. I guess I extra worry because the datasheet doesn't really spell out what is with/without bifacial gain. The panels just say 460Watts (575Watts with bifacial gain).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6000XP Voltage.jpg
    6000XP Voltage.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27
What does your multimeter tell you you have on those mppt inputs?
Do you have one or two connected up?
And I think solar assistant showing three mppts when there are only two is a general bug that has been around for a long time, it shows the same on one of my inverters.

What does your multimeter tell you you have on those mppt inputs?
Do you have one or two connected up?
And I think solar assistant showing three mppts when there are only two is a general bug that has been around for a long time, it shows the same on one of my inverters.
Yep - I contacted them about it - time will tell if/when they do anything about it.

Gotcha. I hit it with the DMM, and the meter agrees with the lower reading. I'm just so confused about the extra mppt listed, I thought maybe these inverters track VOC as well as the working voltage?

I think in another thread someone mentioned that the #3 reading was actually Bus voltage or something else.

So I just replaced a fried 6500EX with a shiny new 6000XP inverter. I updated my Solar Assistant to the beta channel to get better LuxPower support, and everything went pretty smoothly. However, in the inverter details page, there is Voltage and Amperage lines for MPPT1, MPPT2, and MPPT3, which, I find rather confusing. What I find worrisome is that while MPPT1 shows a fairly safe voltage of 350-ish volts, MPPT3 always show something ~50v higher, like 393ish so far today.

Where is this extra mppt data coming from, and why is it so much higher? I'm worried about hitting that magic 480v where the smoke gets let out, even though I calculated a Max VOC of these panels of 57v even with a record low temp given their datasheet. I guess I extra worry because the datasheet doesn't really spell out what is with/without bifacial gain. The panels just say 460Watts (575Watts with bifacial gain).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to connect SA to my 6000xp. I assume that this is done using an RS485 cable which plugs in to the SA but which of the 5 ports on the 6000xp do you connect to?
Thanks.

I would suggest disconnecting the SA connection to the inverter when conducting firmware updates. In some cases, maintaining the SA connection during a firmware update has resulted in issues with the 6000XP completing the update successfully.

I would suggest disconnecting the SA connection to the inverter when conducting firmware updates. In some cases, maintaining the SA connection during a firmware update has resulted in issues with the 6000XP completing the update successfully.
Thanks for this, good to know!

Back