diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 all in one inverter display is not working

jfcruz

Hello all, I was directed to this forum by Signature Solar to see if anyone could help me in resolving my problem by fixing the 6500 inverter's display to come back on. Problem summary: I initially contacted SS because I wanted to know what battery setting I should select since I had eg4 batteries and battleborn. And why some of my settings I chose to change/ use were not being saved within the unit. The tech had me go through the last settings to see if I had the latest firmware. I did not for one of them, I needed to update the U1 firmware he said. This was a whole work out, such as I had to update the firmware via a bridge connection using comm serial port. This is not as easy as it use to be, since Windows 8 because Microsoft doesn't use these kinds of ports they use USB so now I needed an adapter, then a driver to remove the windows conflict before it let me use the adapter, on and on. Then download the firmware and the Remote Panel reflash tool, and save it. By time all was done, It took me a whole day, 7-8 hrs before I finally got everything to work. Now I am ready to upload the firmware. Uploaded the remote panel tool on my computer, Now I see, MCU update, DSP update and then under this, exit. I pressed both updates then exit. My display on the 6500 inverter disappeared, its no longer lit up nor displaying any information. The instructions and image from eg4's document, showed DSP update "grayed out" hence non selectable. This was not the case for me, it was selectable, so I pressed it. They did not let me know, that I must not press this button, via a Warning, or something, such as " Do Not press DSP update. I have updated software before in Windows for latest updates on my computer systems before. So I thought pressing all updates would be ok, since Signature Solar put me here in the first place. I was wrong. Can anyone ( including Ben, from SS) assist me in resolving this issue in getting my inverter's display operational. I graciously would appreciate it tremendously. Sincerely jfcruz

Hello all, I was directed to this forum by Signature Solar to see if anyone could help me in resolving my problem by fixing the 6500 inverter's display to come back on. Problem summary: I initially contacted SS because I wanted to know what battery setting I should select since I had eg4 batteries and battleborn. And why some of my settings I chose to change/ use were not being saved within the unit. The tech had me go through the last settings to see if I had the latest firmware. I did not for one of them, I needed to update the U1 firmware he said. This was a whole work out, such as I had to update the firmware via a bridge connection using comm serial port. This is not as easy as it use to be, since Windows 8 because Microsoft doesn't use these kinds of ports they use USB so now I needed an adapter, then a driver to remove the windows conflict before it let me use the adapter, on and on. Then download the firmware and the Remote Panel reflash tool, and save it. By time all was done, It took me a whole day, 7-8 hrs before I finally got everything to work. Now I am ready to upload the firmware. Uploaded the remote panel tool on my computer, Now I see, MCU update, DSP update and then under this, exit. I pressed both updates then exit. My display on the 6500 inverter disappeared, its no longer lit up nor displaying any information. The instructions and image from eg4's document, showed DSP update "grayed out" hence non selectable. This was not the case for me, it was selectable, so I pressed it. They did not let me know, that I must not press this button, via a Warning, or something, such as " Do Not press DSP update. I have updated software before in Windows for latest updates on my computer systems before. So I thought pressing all updates would be ok, since Signature Solar put me here in the first place. I was wrong. Can anyone ( including Ben, from SS) assist me in resolving this issue in getting my inverter's display operational. I graciously would appreciate it tremendously. Sincerely jfcruz
This sad that DIYSOLARFORUM is now SS Customer support.

I'm sorry this happened for you. I've made comments in other threads that updating firmware requires more than a basic understanding of computers as well as a good understanding of computer communication ports. Working at the firmware level, most programs don't have any safeguards to prevent an incorrect setup. Click one wrong button as you've found out and it's all over.

I looked at the instructions from the EG4 site and nowhere in them does it say to press every button. In fact, the exact directions are clearly spelled out and the button to be pressed is highlighted by a red box:

1675158229406.jpeg
You've most likely written the wrong firmware to the wrong location which usually permanently corrupts the device. You can try following the procedure again exactly how it is written(you'll be doing this blindly since the display is dead) and see if it overwrites the corrupted code and comes back to life. You'll most likely need a new board. Maybe @BenFromSignatureSolar knows a solution or can direct you to someone who can help.

Please chat me your order number and I will send you a display screen with the most up to date FW. You will still need to update the MCU. Also, just because you CAN push a button during an update, doesn't mean you SHOULD. You will need to follow the instructions exactly as they are presented.

Once you get the display swapped out with Ben I would recommend placing the battery type as USE and then setting your voltages yourself. I believe the correct charging voltage for EG4s mentioned in other threads is 56.4V as their units are derated from the normal max of 58.4V for LiFePO4 to extend cycle life.

Please chat me your order number and I will send you a display screen with the most up to date FW. You will still need to update the MCU. Also, just because you CAN push a button during an update, doesn't mean you SHOULD. You will need to follow the instructions exactly as they are presented.
Hi Ben, first let me say Thank You for your quick response. Here is my order number: 49774. Again thank you. Sincerely jfcruz

Once you get the display swapped out with Ben I would recommend placing the battery type as USE and then setting your voltages yourself. I believe the correct charging voltage for EG4s mentioned in other threads is 56.4V as their units are derated from the normal max of 58.4V for LiFePO4 to extend cycle life.
Thank you and I will follow your advice too.

I had the unresponsive display after a f/w update also, although I didn't push any buttons! Worst yet, both inverters are dead with shorted pv inputs and shorted dc input! both had been working without issue for a month before the firmware upgrade! been without power since saturday ...

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear this but I believe SS will make you whole. Perhaps you can ask Ben from SS to assist you. Others have gotten replacements for their equipment. Hope this helps...

Back