diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 EX and Pro/Tran 2

MesaGuy

Hello I am expecting my EG4 6500 EX tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone sees any issues with the setup I want to do.

I would be using 1 EG4 6500 EX

AC input into the EG4 6500 EX from a 20-amp circuit from the main panel

AC output from the EG4 6500 EX to a load center/sub panel where it would have a 60-amp breaker.

A 30 AMP breaker feeding a Reliance Pro/Tran 2 which would then feed six circuits in my main panel.

There would be 2 other 20-amp breakers in the load center/subpanel for a couple of plugs in the garage.

I also have 2 EG Batteries coming as well.

10 solar panels @315 watts from Canadian Solar.

Thank you in advance.

This is not a standard setup. Hard to answer without understanding your expectations. Normally the AC input and output would be via 60 amp single pole breaker for each.

Hello I am expecting my EG4 6500 EX tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone sees any issues with the setup I want to do.

I would be using 1 EG4 6500 EX

AC input into the EG4 6500 EX from a 20-amp circuit from the main panel

AC output from the EG4 6500 EX to a load center/sub panel where it would have a 60-amp breaker.

A 30 AMP breaker feeding a Reliance Pro/Tran 2 which would then feed six circuits in my main panel.

There would be 2 other 20-amp breakers in the load center/subpanel for a couple of plugs in the garage.

I also have 2 EG Batteries coming as well.

10 solar panels @315 watts from Canadian Solar.

Thank you in advance.
Congrats on the EG4! I've got two myself in a similar setup.
The issue I see is the AC input. I believe it should be 60 amp. Also, I'm not sure if you create a ground loop with having the AC input connected at the main but the output connected to the transfer switch. I probably shouldn't even be commenting tbh. There are much higher qualified on here than me.
You should be OK on panels vs. batteries IMO.

My 6500 is due here next week. Thanks for starting this thread as it should be interesting. Gounds are a funny thing too. Will talks about the common ground and the chassis ground and how to seperate them using or removing a screw in the 6500 then grounding the two ground lines from the 6500 at the AC panel. Which AC panel.. I think the main AC panel and not the disconnect box. Same can be found in a Generator (gas) and to ground in only one place to avoid ground currents, and potential differences between the 6500 chassis and the AC box that's first in line to the Main breaker panel. Maybe Will can clear this up. Thanks guys.

I'm using 10 - Q Cells 400W panels. I'm wondering if the amps are to high. 10.7 Current at MPP?
I plan on using the EG4 6500 EX I attached a shot from the spec sheet and the spec sheet.

Attachments

• Scan from 2023-01-16 12_14_34 PM.pdf
    738.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Q Cells 400W 132 Half-Cell ZZ304800120_DS.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
My 6500 is due here next week. Thanks for starting this thread as it should be interesting. Gounds are a funny thing too. Will talks about the common ground and the chassis ground and how to seperate them using or removing a screw in the 6500 then grounding the two ground lines from the 6500 at the AC panel. Which AC panel.. I think the main AC panel and not the disconnect box. Same can be found in a Generator (gas) and to ground in only one place to avoid ground currents, and potential differences between the 6500 chassis and the AC box that's first in line to the Main breaker panel. Maybe Will can clear this up. Thanks guys.
Please consult with a certified electrician.

I'm using 10 - Q Cells 400W panels. I'm wondering if the amps are to high. 10.7 Current at MPP?
I plan on using the EG4 6500 EX I attached a shot from the spec sheet and the spec sheet.
Each MPPT is rated at 16A. You are good.

Each MPPT is rated at 16A. You are good.
I watched that video about the grounding, good to know.
I couldn't find 16A on the spec sheet but i did find Max input current draw of 18A per MPPT. Is that what your referencing.
So hooking up in series should be fine.
Thanks

This is not a standard setup. Hard to answer without understanding your expectations. Normally the AC input and output would be via 60 amp single pole breaker for each.
So is there a formula or rule of thumb to use to determine the 60 amp breaker? My system isn't that large and I was going to use 60 amp breakers as well.
This would be a double pole breaker right?

So is there a formula or rule of thumb to use to determine the 60 amp breaker? My system isn't that large and I was going to use 60 amp breakers as well.
This would be a double pole breaker right?
If the inverter is split phase then you will need a double pole, if single a single pole. The formula is ohm’s law.

If the inverter is split phase then you will need a double pole, if single a single pole. The formula is ohm’s law.
Question.....if you only have one inverter now but expect to add the second later on, can you still use a double pole breaker? I realize you'd only have 120 available, but I have a 60A DP and would hate to have to buy two 60A SP as well (if they even make them)

Back