diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 PDP Tips and Improvements

PhotonsAreNeat

It looks like some Signature Solar folks read these forums, and I was told by tech support that I'm the first customer to try out the PDP, so here's the issues I encountered that you guys should fix:

1) One of the six front panel screws had it's threads stripped out completely. It would spin in place but wouldn't back out, and couldn't be pried out. I had to drill out the head to get the panel removed, then grab the remaining shaft with pliers and pull/unscrew as hard as I could to get it out. Not a good start.

2) The 3/4" knockouts are apparently slightly too small. All of my plastic 3/4" grommets for romex, which fit my panel just fine, were a smidge too large for every one of those holes. The 1" knockouts seem to be the right size.

3) Many of the knockouts are in really bad places. They are either just below a mounting bracket, where you can't really get a wire through them, or they are just behind the horizontal bar which has a sharp edge on top, so you end up damaging your wire as you pull it through. Basically every one of the rear knockouts are useless! They are all behind the horizontal bar, and again you can't pull wire through them without tearing it all up. I had to drill a custom hole for the rear entry.

4) Not a big deal, but each inverter is supplied with two green ground wires to connect to the AC input ground, and the AC output ground. These are tied together internally anyway, and connecting both of these will create a ground loop. Just unnecessary.

5) The breakers will easily slide around on the DIN rail with the cover off, and then you gotta place the front on it, see which one is off, move it, try again, etc. etc. There are plastic locks on both sides of them, but they apparently were loose from the factory.

6) The PDP came with two plates on top of the unit where the 6500s should mount, which had outlines for cutouts, and two cutouts already removed. The manual makes no mention of this plate, whether its supposed to stay or not, etc. I contemplated what to do with it for about 10 minutes before deciding to remove them entirely. The cutouts didn't seem like they would easily knock out, as that plate is pretty thick. Also, you can't get to the screws on the bottom of the 6500 if that plate is there, so I see no way of actually wiring it if the plate were left in place, unless you completely removed the 6500 from the wall and had someone hold it to wire it! No way that was gonna happen.

Anyways, the PDP is a really neat product, but it needs a few tweaks.

Keep an eye on your inverter temperatures. The PDP looks like it blocks all the air-flow out the bottom of the inverters and only allows the heat to escape out the sides of the wiring compartment.

I already installed (4) 6500 then the PDP shows up! Anyway I decided to make my own, here's a before and after. Notice the in-line duct fan (450cfm) on the end. I feel this is necessary to pull the heat out of the room. Did it all for about $200.
  • SquareD panel boards $75
  • Aluminum plates (covers) from recycle center $20
  • DIN box enclosures $75
  • Assorted hardware $30
20230504_145017.png20231010_124539.png

I already installed (4) 6500 then the PDP shows up! Anyway I decided to make my own, here's a before and after. Notice the in-line duct fan (450cfm) on the end. I feel this is necessary to pull the heat out of the room. Did it all for about $200.
  • DIN box enclosures $75
  • Assorted hardware $30
View attachment 172676View attachment 172677
Awesome job! Looks great!

• DIN box enclosures $75
  • Assorted hardware $30

This is one of the cleanest 6500 installs I’ve seen. Very nice.

• DIN box enclosures $75
  • Assorted hardware $30
Is that a plumbing fitting tee I spot in the conduit between the 2 PDPs

Yes it is, no inspections needed here in the Texas hill country. I would have done it correctly but the AC breaker box was fixed there and I didn't feel like moving it. I could bend up some sheet metal to cover it up and then no one would ever complain. If its such a bad thing they would have made plumbing pipe and electric conduit a different size! In addition it makes for better air flow!

After having this new setup for a couple of weeks, and monitoring the temps I've come to the conclusion I need a bigger fan. Not that it's failing at all just needs a tweak! I'll be getting the larger 8 inch in-line fan with a CFM of 720 up from the 420 of 6 inch.

After having this new setup for a couple of weeks, and monitoring the temps I've come to the conclusion I need a bigger fan. Not that it's failing at all just needs a tweak! I'll be getting the larger 8 inch in-line fan with a CFM of 720 up from the 420 of 6 inch.
What temps are you currently getting?

All depends on the how hot it gets outside, On the inverter furthest away from the exhaust fan I'll see a 5 deg difference between the intake and exhaust on the bottom side. Example if its 90F in the room then the exhaust is 95F (typical mid afternoon temp). I have insulated my workshop and can turn on the air as needed, but the whole idea is to limit the use of the air conditioner. If you just let the inverters run naturally aspirated then they will heat up the room, so a 90F day turns the shop into a oven at 100F. Without getting rid of the inverter hot air I would expect a melt down on a 90F Day. The reason I'm installing a bigger exhaust fan is based on an observation the the two furthest inverters (closer to the exhaust fan) have negative air flow on the bottom vents. Meaning I can place a sheet of paper on them and the paper sucks to the inverter. On the two other inverters the vent is still positive and venting heat into the room. My goal is to remove all the hot inverter air out of the room. BTW I have installed a duck from the fan into the attic (not pictured).

Going one step further I could see removing the noisy internal fans of the inverters and let the one exhaust fan do all the cooling. It could be mounted in the attic and make for a virtually silent setup.

• DIN box enclosures $75
  • Assorted hardware $30
can you share more with me on what you have here. I am trying to get mine setup and going and this seems more cost effective than the Eg4 load center and right now they don't have any, and they are not sure when they will have any more.

can you share more with me on what you have here. I am trying to get mine setup and going and this seems more cost effective than the Eg4 load center and right now they don't have any, and they are not sure when they will have any more.
I doubt they’ll get more in because they discontinued the inverters.

The 8x8 wireway I had under mine works really well. I didn’t build in all the disconnects though.

diy solar

diy solar
Back