diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 w/ EG4 LL V2 battery bank troubleshooting

EG4 6500ex users (or similiar clones) experiencing out of the blue 6p faults with the inverters?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

debron55

SO -have 2 EG4 6500Ex's as well as 6 EG4-LL V2 rack mount batteries in a bank. Entire system looks basically like Will's video and all equipment purchased from Signature Solar. Along with 2 Breakers from Signature as well as the PV disconnects. Everything was installed as well as a critical loads panel and all units were configured for split phase and all was working well. PV input is 3 strings of 9 panels per string of Trina Solar 330 Watt panels. using 3 of the 4 PV inputs on the 2 inverters. Also attached and running is a Solar Assistant Raspberry Pi. Everything was working all units were up to date on the latest firmware. 4/0 cable from the batter rack to the buss bar - to the breakers and 2/0 cable for the master unit and same split off to the secondary slave unit. Again all was working fine.

Units were in use mode with settings provided by them as signature advised running it thus for the first 7-14 days. Entire environment was up and running for ~ 3 days. I had had just one of the units (master) in place for a couple of weeks running in stand alone mode while I became familiar with the system (and waited on 1 slow to arrive battery for the battery bank). a few days ago at ~11:30 am I was made aware that the power had gone out - Rushing out to the garage I noted that the Master unit had thrown it's breaker. The secondary unit had not. The PV's breakers were all closed and passing power. The battery rack - honestly I don't know what it looked like as I just immediately powered it all down. Basically scrammed the entire system.

Reviewed energy usage at time of the event and very little power was being consumed and very little being produced by panels (Snow). Info coming from Solar Assistant doesn't reveal any oddities just a power outage at/around 11:30am.

Tested battery independent of overall system and all seems ok. Attempted to start up the system from battery only and Secondary unit comes up Master unit does not - Giving unit Solar unit powers up but throws a 6p error. Battery is not connected. Additionally immediately the batteries in the battery bank all go to fault mode and indicate protection on the battery screens.

Separated the two units signaling wires and placed Master unit in standalone mode. Felt it best to simplify the system in prep for testing and evaluation.

Contacted Signature solar and waited for 1 hour 50 min for tech to become available. Tech was nice and we started working through the problem. Troubleshooting included testing voltage from Battery to busbar, battery to battery terminals at the master unit they were producing the expected voltage. Tested continuity in the breaker, tested resistance along all sorts of different paths from the battery to the inverter. The power provided to the inverter is correct and , I would note, using the same wiring route to the slave unit as a test and that unit consumes that energy fine from the battery and operates as expected (albeit as a standalone unit)

Working with the tech I also checked the odd fuse looking items that come with the units interior to the device. We even swapped the black DC Fuse though the one installed looked fine. Looking around the interior of the inverter and I did not see any blown caps or burned mosfets etc. With a complete caveat that I'm no electrical engineer and I did not fully disasemble the unit - I only took off the outer shroud to expose the internal access fuse.

I am still working with Signature solar and provided them around 20 pictures of the environment as well as a checklist of tests they wanted performed. Any ideas from this august body?

It is of note that when we tested for resistance from the positive to the negative battery posts in the unit there was measurable resistance of ~2.3 Ohms.

Attachments

• batterypost resistance measured.jpg
    batterypost resistance measured.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Interior Fuse.jpg
    Interior Fuse.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 11
I should add there is a victron smart shunt in the system as well and it's working fine. Give readings as well as I eliminated it from the system to troubleshoot and it was not the culprit.

Back