diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 Inverter Issues

Well now, there's my problem. I'm using the cable with USB to CAT (the one the right in your video) to try and connect.
I don't remember seeing the cable that has the serial end on it in any of the boxes.
I've only got the short green CAT5 cables and the black cable (USB to CAT) that's on the right side in your video.
I'll look through my packaging materials again just to be sure.
All I remember is seeing the cables taped to the outsides of the boxes, nothing inside.
The one on the right side of the video should be the one you use to connect the battery to your computer. The short greet CAT cable should be for connecting multiple batteries together.

The one on the right side of the video should be the one you use to connect the battery to your computer. The short greet CAT cable should be for connecting multiple batteries together.

Yes I acknowledge.
I was using the USB to CAT cable to try and hook up to the inverter.
There's no confusion with the green cables.

So, coming back around to this…

I’ve been reluctant to post about this again, but my level of frustration is through the roof. I’ve tried numerous times to communicate with batteries and the inverter with no success.
Even tried a different laptop, same results. The message I get says “cannot communicate”. I don’t what it is I’m doing wrong.
I’ve got a new USB to rs232 cable that I still need to try. I’ll see if I can get around to that in the next day or two.

As far as the inverter goes, I’m still having some minor issues with the battery disconnect error. However, it is not nearly as frequent as before. Maybe once every couple of days.

Yesterday I had a new issue. I tried connecting my generator to the inverter as I was running low on battery charge.
The last few days have been pretty cloudy and there’s just not enough power coming from the PV panels to bring the batteries back up to full charge. The generator constantly hunts on speed (can’t maintain a constant RPM).
I don’t think I want to dwell on this problem as I disconnected the generator after about 10 minutes of watching multiple error codes pop up on the inverter display.

I’m not ready to throw in towel just yet (actually I can’t because I’m 100% off-grid) but this has been a frustrating ride for me. Maybe because my ignorance and being so new to all this. I don’t know. Just really frustrated with all this at the moment. I think I need to step back and take a deep breath.

Give the generator another load so that it runs at a stable speed, then connect to the inverters.

Can you share a picture of your display and your cable connections between the battery and the inverter?

I’m not sure, but do you have to change the DIP switches on each battery in order for them to properly work together?

Can you share a picture of your display and your cable connections between the battery and the inverter?

I’m not sure, but do you have to change the DIP switches on each battery in order for them to properly work together?
Page 12 and 13 of the battery manual shows each battery must have unique DIP switch settings and has a table of the settings available.

Yes DIP switch settings are a must.

Page 12 and 13 of the battery manual shows each battery must have unique DIP switch settings and has a table of the settings available.

Each battery is set to the DIP setting per the manual with a quantity of (4) batteries.
These are my settings per the manual.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 161614.jpg

Back