diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX - Single PV or both PV's

AndreasPassat

Can someone please clarify the pro's / con's of using a single PV input or both PV inputs on the EG4 6500EX inverter?
I just purchased a pallet of Boviet 450W Bifacial PV panels (up to 540W).

Up until yesterday I was using both PV inputs on a single EG4 6500EX inverter.
Had 10 Solarever 450W panels with 5 panels per PV input.

With this purchase of a complete pallet of (30) panels (13.5kW) I can now install my system permanently and configure it the way I had originally planned.

It's a good question. I think as long as you stay below the max. Voc it does not really matter. I've spread my 8 strings over six EG4-6500EX depending on their max. operating temperature. I've noticed that two of the six units are running hotter than the others and I've used these two with just one PV entry with the lowest PV wattage strings. I have no issues either with the ones where both PV entries are used or the ones with just one PV entry used (see my build thread).

I know that other AIO's like the EG4-6000XP where the manual states that both PV entries should use the same string parameters (voltage, current and even the PV module model... that's crazy). This is definitively not the case for the EG4-6500EX!

Assuming you get to the minimum voltage, use both mppts. If you use 1 mppt, and a leaf falls on one panel, all panels are affected. If you use 2 mppts, only the panels on that mppt are affected. The panels in the other mppt are unaffected.

Do you have 2 eg4 6500ex? Max pv on one inverter is 8000 watts. With 40 panels, you have around 16kw. That should be split over the two inverters, and both mppts of both inverters. You will probably hit the 18a limit for 1 mppt anyway. 4 strings of 10 panels will max you out.

Assuming you get to the minimum voltage, use both mppts. If you use 1 mppt, and a leaf falls on one panel, all panels are affected. If you use 2 mppts, only the panels on that mppt are affected. The panels in the other mppt are unaffected.

Do you have 2 eg4 6500ex? Max pv on one inverter is 8000 watts. With 40 panels, you have around 16kw. That should be split over the two inverters, and both mppts of both inverters. You will probably hit the 18a limit for 1 mppt anyway. 4 strings of 10 panels will max you out.

Yes I do have (2) EG4 6500EX's
I didn't have the second inverter hooked up because the system was only a temporary install until I got ALL of the panels I needed for the planned permanent system.

My plan was to run 4 strings at 8 panels per string for the final system configuration.

Inverter #1
1st string of 8 panels.
2nd string of 8 panels.

Inverter #2
3rd string of 8 panels.
4th string of 8 panels.

That makes sense about the MPPT effectiveness with 1 string vs 2 strings.

When comparing single PV input (PV1) versus both PV inputs (PV1 and PV2), each option has its advantages and drawbacks.

Using a single input simplifies installation and reduces costs but limits total power output. On the other hand, employing both inputs increases total power capacity and provides redundancy in case of failure.

Get an eg4 minisplit and run it directly from pv of your extra panels.
Got one. Tried that last year.
I like the fact that when hooked up to just solar it doesn't take away from the inverters but as soon as some cloud cover comes by the mini split doesn't run full tilt, it starts to throttle.
I'd rather just have the mini split hooked up to the inverters and it'll run full tilt no matter what.
I've got more than enough power so it's a non-issue.

Back