diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8k/megarevo Hybrid inverter zero export

wait what?
Here's EG4's latest install video on the 8k. Mostly ok. The guy quickly goes through the settings and the non intuitive grid tie setting. The video caused me several hours of aggravation waiting on the phone with Sig Solar tech support because the narrator on the video claimed that the rj45 cable from the lifepower4 batteries was a standard cable, which I installed and couldn't get past the error code 37, (no battery communication). The manual calls for a convoluted crossover cable that isn't quite clear. I guess I'll build one and switch wires until it works.

Here's EG4's latest install video on the 8k. Mostly ok. The guy quickly goes through the settings and the non intuitive grid tie setting. The video caused me several hours of aggravation waiting on the phone with Sig Solar tech support because the narrator on the video claimed that the rj45 cable from the lifepower4 batteries was a standard cable, which I installed and couldn't get past the error code 37, (no battery communication). The manual calls for a convoluted crossover cable that isn't quite clear. I guess I'll build one and switch wires until it works.
Thanks!

Just bought a sol-ark instead. This is too frustrating to deal with lol

Thanks!

Just bought a sol-ark instead. This is too frustrating to deal with lol
I've installed a number of them as well. Good longevity, my oldest install is from 2019 when they first came to market. If you want grid tie with battery they still may be the best option but not for offgrid, there's just too many good alternatives out there at much lower cost. And, I've spent many hours waiting on Sol-Ark's tech line as well. They remotely do their own firmware updates which is good but the downside to that is they have control of your inverter via a Chinese server site. I try and keep my customers away from those back doors as they can be troublesome.

I've installed a number of them as well. Good longevity, my oldest install is from 2019 when they first came to market. If you want grid tie with battery they still may be the best option but not for offgrid, there's just too many good alternatives out there at much lower cost. And, I've spent many hours waiting on Sol-Ark's tech line as well. They remotely do their own firmware updates which is good but the downside to that is they have control of your inverter via a Chinese server site. I try and keep my customers away from those back doors as they can be troublesome.
Thanks for the warning! I work in IT so I have a full setup in my house. I have the Sol-Ark firewalled off when I'm not needing support. I agree that there are better options for off-grid! I plan to have a small off-grid setup shortly in the future with the grid being the "battery". Just want to offset my electric bill for now pretty much.

My Bluesun labeled MegaRevo 8K came with batteries that "should work"
Even though I contacted them several times to confirm the cable layout, I had to figure it out myself.
This was the solution for me:
not a 1:1 RJ45 cable and not RS485 but CANBus communication setup in the inverter:

For what it is worth, I installed my EG4 8K this weekend and the grid-tie with limiting is working for me: the unit is feeding just enough power back to the 40amp grid connection to offset my home's usage without exporting any power to the utility company. This is with the CTs installed in the main panel and anti-reverse enabled (default setting on my unit, which I think was different than the manual said was default). If I disconnect the CTs entirely then it completely stops feeding any power to the grid connection with anti-revers enabled. Seems to be working exactly as I hoped it would.

I'm a little unclear from your description as to where exactly you have the CTs so just to be clear: the CTs should be installed on the main power lines between your utility meter and your main breaker, with the arrows pointing towards the utility meter/connection (at least with the equipment that came with my unit). In my case, with a 220 split phase, this is on the two hot wires coming from the utility meter to the 100amp main breaker in my main panel.

My only complaint right now with this part of my setup is the app/website doesn't clearly display the power being created on the grid feed connection, I have to look at the solar wattage and the battery wattage and do the math in my head to know how much is being inverted for grid feed, but that is a problem for another day.

#edited to fix disabled/enabled for anti-reverse setting description.

@stephenwolf2 , any chance you can post some pictures of where your CTs are installed and arrow direction ...

And possibly what your setup /layout / configuration is? Trying to see if there's something that that is being overlooked with my dad's setup that may get it going (see here). Seems to work okay with the grid tie breaker off, but what's the point of not using it if that's original design plan?

If any of you have had any success in getting Megarevo's assistance in working out the non-working Zero Export capability please refer me to your contact there. I have tried all firmware version and all allowable combinations that are supposed to enable the zero export capability, but none of them works. The latest one has been running for the past week in advanced mode, but still it has exported to the grid over 8kwh. I contacted Megarevo's technical assistance last week, and about a day later got a WhatsApp message from them asking for the wifi dongle serial number. I replied a few hours later, giving Megarevo all information requested and even presenting photos and graphical data of the grid feedback.

Succinctly put, Megarevo never followed up on my request for help. This past Monday I got a call from a "Sales Director" from Megarevo named "Lavier" that happened to be in Puerto Rico looking for business opportunities. He said that he had received my lead from the technical line personnel. We met for close to 3 hours, and I shared much information on the Puerto Rico market. Ha represented that the techincal assistance personnel was working on the situation I presented. Since no response from the technical personnel was received, I contacted the "Sales Director" and he pointed out that he would follow up on them.

Earlier today, I sent the technical personnel a message that went unanswered and then contacted the "Sales Director". To my surprise, he advised that Megarevo would not honor the warranty of their manufactured inverters if they had not been purchased directly from them. In response to the exporting issue, he advised that whoever does not want to export to the grid should purchase an off-grid inverter. He went on and pointed out that Megarevo is certified by the local utility company, and then I advised that I would inform the local utility and the local Energy Commission of Megarevo's refusal to support their manufactured products on a clearly warrantied issue, and that Megarevo's refusal to warrant its products could result in their decertification. I advised that under the products liability laws all entities involved in the distribution chain from the manufacturer down was liable for the warranty, yet the "Sales Director" reiterated Megarevo's stance and refused to text with me anymore as he claimed that I was "scaring" him.

This is a most unfortunate situation, as until today, and excepting the non-working zero export function, I could only say good things about this inverter. I have been testing it under loads exceeding 8kw, even subjecting it to unbalanced inductive loads and it has performed better than expected.

Unless Megarevo comes clean, I will proceed and distribute inverters from manufacturers that are responsible and back their products. Too bad, since they were coming up with a split phase low voltage 12kw unit in September -at least that is what the "Sales Director" informed during our lengthy meeting-.

For what it is worth, I installed my EG4 8K this weekend and the grid-tie with limiting is working for me: the unit is feeding just enough power back to the 40amp grid connection to offset my home's usage without exporting any power to the utility company. This is with the CTs installed in the main panel and anti-reverse enabled (default setting on my unit, which I think was different than the manual said was default). If I disconnect the CTs entirely then it completely stops feeding any power to the grid connection with anti-revers enabled. Seems to be working exactly as I hoped it would.

I'm a little unclear from your description as to where exactly you have the CTs so just to be clear: the CTs should be installed on the main power lines between your utility meter and your main breaker, with the arrows pointing towards the utility meter/connection (at least with the equipment that came with my unit). In my case, with a 220 split phase, this is on the two hot wires coming from the utility meter to the 100amp main breaker in my main panel.

My only complaint right now with this part of my setup is the app/website doesn't clearly display the power being created on the grid feed connection, I have to look at the solar wattage and the battery wattage and do the math in my head to know how much is being inverted for grid feed, but that is a problem for another day.

#edited to fix disabled/enabled for anti-reverse setting description.
Hi stephenwolf2,
Can you send me a diagram of your setup? Is the main breaker you mentioned after the inverter or before the inverter?

It seems Megarevo has mostly dealt with the Zero Export issue. After a week of running the inverter with Megarevo's parameters the export has reduced form 8.14kwh per week to 909.94wh this past week. Again, the inverter shows 0 export in its logs and the measurements were taken with a Shelly Pro3em connected on the grid lines outside of the 50a breaker on the line feeding the inverter. I am still not discounting the existence of some power being fed back, but some of these readings may be the result of stray current or other events that can hardly be controlled.

After 25 days running the 8K inverter with the settings made by Megarevo's technicians I can attest that the Zero Export function is working. The Solar Assistant app registered 21 out of 25 days with 0 export, and the remaining 4 days with barely 4watts of export power (2,1,1, and 1). During that same period, the Shelly Pro 3EM (with the ct's set closer to the meter) registered a total of 293.09 watts of exported power -with 8 days of 0 export-. Again, my impression is that the readings of the Shelly power meter, as weel as those few days registered by the inverter's ct's, are negligible and could be the result of emf or stray current.

In all, Megarevo did its part in addressing this issue and I am thankful for that as it has proven to be a good and reliable inverter.

After 25 days running the 8K inverter with the settings made by Megarevo's technicians I can attest that the Zero Export function is working. The Solar Assistant app registered 21 out of 25 days with 0 export, and the remaining 4 days with barely 4watts of export power (2,1,1, and 1). During that same period, the Shelly Pro 3EM (with the ct's set closer to the meter) registered a total of 293.09 watts of exported power -with 8 days of 0 export-. Again, my impression is that the readings of the Shelly power meter, as weel as those few days registered by the inverter's ct's, are negligible and could be the result of emf or stray current.

In all, Megarevo did its part in addressing this issue and I am thankful for that as it has proven to be a good and reliable inverter.

Seems to be dialed in fairly well on Dad's 8k setup (v22 fw) as well ...
Our EG4-8KEXP-240 (MegaRevo R8KLNA) Hybrid Inverter & EG4 LP4 Battery/PV Install

Back