diy solar

diy solar

EG4, discover, or? Want a reliable battery system for Schneider xw+

9mile

My FLA's are starting to overheat when charging. Probably time to upgrade. Super nervous about all the horror stories of the eg4s version 2 having issues. Don't want to pay the extra price for the discoverers but I live extremely remote don't have a lot of time due to work to fiddle around with BMS shutting down batteries and other issues that I've seen when doing my research. Wish I could just find another used FLA close to me to buy more time and tell these batteries get sorted out. I have fairly large loads...deep well, septic pump etc...

Our server Rack packs are very redundant and we have had good luck with our partnership with Schneider. The latest insight firmware is best for connecting as always

Our server Rack packs are very redundant and we have had good luck with our partnership with Schneider. The latest insight firmware is best for connecting as always

OP said xw+. Latest Insight firmware should not be installed on the Gateway for a XW+ system according to schneider release notes.

I have two racks of jakiper batteries with my schneider system running open loop. Happy with the performance and no issues with the batteries.

OP didn't detail his system but if fully off grid (as I am) closed loop batteries on a schneider system are not necessary since the schneider charge controllers do not use bms feedback to adjust their charging profiles. Bms info is only available for grid or generator charging with the XW Pro according to schneider. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

That's what I was going to suggest, just don't hook up the communication. Get good quality batteries, program the Schneider gear well, and it should just work.

If you previously had a lead bank, do you have the Schneider battery monitor?

OP said xw+. Latest Insight firmware should not be installed on the Gateway for a XW+ system according to schneider release notes.

I have two racks of jakiper batteries with my schneider system running open loop. Happy with the performance and no issues with the batteries.

OP didn't detail his system but if fully off grid (as I am) closed loop batteries on a schneider system are not necessary since the schneider charge controllers do not use bms feedback to adjust their charging profiles. Bms info is only available for grid or generator charging with the XW Pro according to schneider. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Yes I am fully off grid with xw plus not pro. These are the tidbits of information that I really appreciate. So most BMS can be disabled completely? I was under the impression under large draws BMS would shut down batteries in certain situations. For instance when I'm showering in the morning and the well pump kicks on and the septic pump kicks on Plus the coffee maker is running. It makes sense that the charging parameters for the Schneider would take their place. I do run a generator for charging during the winter months when sun is limited. Would this affect the ability to do that effectively or cause danger to my batteries?

That's what I was going to suggest, just don't hook up the communication. Get good quality batteries, program the Schneider gear well, and it should just work.

If you previously had a lead bank, do you have the Schneider battery monitor?
Just have standard scp...not sure what the Schneider battery monitor is?

So most BMS can be disabled completely?
Woah, no. You want the BMS to do it's job and protect the cells from over voltage, under voltage, temp, current, etc.
I was under the impression under large draws BMS would shut down batteries in certain situations. For instance when I'm showering in the morning and the well pump kicks on and the septic pump kicks on Plus the coffee maker is running.
You need to spec your battery bank to cover loads/fully support anything the inverter can take from it.
It makes sense that the charging parameters for the Schneider would take their place. I do run a generator for charging during the winter months when sun is limited. Would this affect the ability to do that effectively or cause danger to my batteries?
You've just got to respect the current limits on the battery.
Just have standard scp...not sure what the Schneider battery monitor is?
If you have the SCP, not Insight or Gateway, then your set up doesn't support battery/BMS communication anyways, so that's a moot point about battery communication.

I was under the impression that the Schneider Battery Monitor was a normal part of a lead acid battery install.

Just an FYI, I have an older XW6048 (grid tied), and after 11 years, I changed out my 4 Concorde 12v 256ah AGM's to 2 - 48v 230ah Trophy batteries. It was a simple plug & play, just some different settings on the SCP. It has been about 4 months now, and all is great.

So we are completely off grid with a Conext XW+ (5048) inverter, Conext 60 150 & 100 600 charge controllers, SCP and the Home Insight Gateway. I am thinking about buying three EG4 LifeP04 batteries. I can't get a definite answer whether the EG4s will connect closed loop with our inverter and Gateway. Our place is vacant for a couple months at a time and I definately need the ability to monitor state of charge to determine if my panels are covered with snow. I have the ability to remote start our generator.

Currently using a 16s bank of 272ah Lischen cells for the past two years with the Orion BMS Jr.2 BMS. These batteries have been great except I am not able to keep them as balanced as I would like at the low and high end. Recently added a ground mount array with the Conext 100 600 Charge Controller and my Orion BMS isn't able to control it. I'm hoping the tech guy at Orion can figure this out as they have it working perfect with my XW+ inverter and smaller 60 150 CC.

What I want is a set of batteries I can set at 54.4 volts (bulk, absorb and float) and just forget about it. No more cleaning and sanding bus bars because the resistance is high, no more having to charge to 100% to get some balancing. No more messing with BMS settings.

Are the EG4 the batteries I am looking for?

PS: My Home Gateway does have the latest firmware. Anyone know if Schneider allows firmware downgrades. Not sure why I would need older firmware to allow the batteries to communicate with the Gateway.

diy solar

diy solar
Back