diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

Please post a link to the 12k btu heat pumps for $600. I’d be very interested in buying a couple.
And limited use case?
Maybe if you’re in a cold dark place as @Will Prowse mentioned in the video ?.

Most of the western US could use this system nearly year round. And the rest of the country could likely benefit as well, just not as often.

I have a place near LA at about 4000ft elevation that this will be perfect for. 27f last night, snow expected later today, and it is commonly 90-100+ in summer. No shortage of sun except when it rains or snows.
This unit would give me free heat probably 75% of winter days if I panel it aptly. That’s more than acceptable to me.

A portion of the garage was converted to a rec room years ago before I obtained it. It will be a shop / mancave room once the rest of the place is updated and improved.
It’s a 330 sq ft room, with a south and west facing gable roof. New R 30 cieling insulation, and so called “cool” roof (4/12 pitch) with vents, R15 walls (old 2x4 construction), new dual pane windows (2). Thermostat controlled gable attic vent.
That room absolutely BAKES in the summer and is cold ? in winter.
I look forward to keeping that room cool in the daytime this summer with FREE solar energy, and no inverter loss. Keeping it cool all day for FREE will make it easier to keep cool in the evening when temps drop. And I can heat that room for free in winter, and in both hot or cold seasons let the conditioned air migrate to the adjoining areas. I figure the payback period will be under 2 years compared to running window ac units.

When I see this system works well for that room, I’ll buy another for another area of the house, or the 24k btu unit if I can configure 3 air handlers like mr cool and other manufacturers offer.
Hopefully members @SignatureSolarJames and @SignatureSolarAdam will consider developing and marketing multi air handler units, and ALL these units with quick connects like others do. That would make them soooo much more DIY friendly, and eliminate or greatly reduce most faulty install issues.

Imnsho there must be literally millions of use cases for this type of unit in the US.
Pretty much all of So Cal, and significant areas if AZ, NV, NM, TX, and UT for starters.

PS ultimately I’d like to power these units after solar hrs with an all in one inverter and a server rack battery bank.
Please look at my initial post in this thread. I've been the first to endorse this product. It's really a good idea.

It is very simple, and for many a perfect choice. You where asking why there is not more interested in this forum.
⬆️ Seems like ?Crickets? ? ? on this product, really?
and I gave you two reasons:
1. Price (f you already got a solar off-grid system - this doesn't make sense adding)
2. We are all geeks here and this is too simple and we want more wires and stuff to mess with ;)

So basically - this board is potentially the wrong audience for this product to address.

All of Florida Facebook Marketplace / Craigslist is plastered with budget split heatpump
For instance:

Our proximity to the port of Miami the container ships dock probably make them more affordable around here.

Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhh…….. wut? Lol

define “Chilly” (I’m in Canada)
I already did. See the chart. ?
But yeah Canada is certainly a bit chillier ?

But people in Siberia and the like might consider parts of Canada similar to a Mediterranean climate….

Last edited:
The hybrid function adds some cost, but hey, adding solar for daytime heat/cool as well as backup is a value add
I love this product concept, in some ways it’s perfect for my use case.
I’m hoping you’ll soon make them with quick connectors, and 2 and 3 indoor air handler options for the 24k btu unit like Mr. Cool and numerous others have available. I’m looking at buying at least one of these, more likely 2, I just need to determine a viable spot for the 2nd set of panels.

Last edited:
I already did. See the chart. ?
But yeah Canada is certainly a bit chillier ?

But people in Siberia and the like might consider parts of Canada similar to a Mediterranean climate….
Ya, a few years ago it was around -60 in Yakutsk. Most kids there walk to school. But no school that day, schools close when it goes below -40.

One of the (very) few reasons I actually enjoy California, it almost never gets below freezing ?

Although I don't enjoy the 110*+ weather either...

One of the (very) few reasons I actually enjoy California, it almost never gets below freezing ?

Although I don't enjoy the 110*+ weather either...
Uhhhh what?
“it almost never gets below freezing ?” in California?
That’s laughable. Get out much?
CA has it’s share of freezing temps, just go to the mountains.

Ever hear of the Sierras?
Mt Whitney? 14,550 ft elevation.
3 or 4 other CA peaks over 14,000 ft too.
Dozens of peaks over 10,000 feet, and it’s pretty common for areas over 4000 ft to get snow. And below freezing.
Plenty of those areas.
Pacific Crest Trail? A lot of freezing temps along that trail that runs the entire length of CA.
Tahoe, Mammoth (low forecast of 5F tonight), China Peak, Big Bear (low forecast of 11F tonight) are just a few CA ski resort areas. Ski areas require freezing temps for snow.

A lot of solar energy is available in some of these areas as well, as long as it’s not storming. ?

Last edited:
⬆️ Seems like ?Crickets? ? ? on this product, really?
Seems like a game changer to me…
Am I missing something?
I've purchased 4 for my new off-grid home along with 4 360W panels for each.
They should be installed by February, then I'll report back.
I live in NE TX so the idea of running my AC all day without touching my main array (12.8KW+35KWh battery+2xLV6548) is very appealing.
In my case it may be overkill, and I may be shaving power by noon anyway...but it seemed nifty so I bought them.

I've purchased 4 for my new off-grid home along with 4 360W panels for each.
They should be installed by February, then I'll report back.
I live in NE TX so the idea of running my AC all day without touching my main array (12.8KW+35KWh battery+2xLV6548) is very appealing.
In my case it may be overkill, and I may be shaving power by noon anyway...but it seemed nifty so I bought them.
Awesome!

Seems to me that these kinds of units are a great way to dip your toes into Solar power world if you don't already have Solar.
If you have Solar then 1-2KW of extra panels on your existing Inverter system coupled to a regular heat pump is cheaper.
With a Hybrid Inverter it's a no brainer to use a regular heat pump and store any excess PV into the batteries.

Is adding complexity the issue?
you trying are switching your panels from one MPPT to another one. That can be some serious complication. DC switching needs logic and thought. You can break both your systems if you are not careful.

The EG4 A/C Heatpump has one specific use-case:
Seems to me that these kinds of units are a great way to dip your toes into Solar power world if you don't already have Solar.
You have grid power and want some super simple solar to offset your heating and cooling cost. No permits, no grid tie.
That's it. Nothing more and nothing less. It is great for many to get started.

As soon you already got a Solar System with Inverter or planning to go Hybrid / Off grid- the only advantage is a slight efficiency gain. And maybe some redundancy.

Further like you are asking - you can't use the panels connected to the Heatpump unit for anything else. They can't heat your water, run tools or power your lights. So when you are design your main system - you just make it larger and account for the heatpump usage.
If you have Solar then 1-2KW of extra panels on your existing Inverter system coupled to a regular heat pump is cheaper.
With a Hybrid Inverter it's a no brainer to use a regular heat pump and store any excess PV into the batteries.

As stated by others. This is beneficial to someone who wants to try solar. Not for anyone who already has a solar system.
I wouldn't even recommend it for someone who is planning to install a real solar system.

As stated by others. This is beneficial to someone who wants to try solar. Not for anyone who already has a solar system.
I wouldn't even recommend it for someone who is planning to install a real solar system.
I do plan on installing a “real” solar system, but I sure like the idea of no inverter loss to run this type system on sunny days.
But I completely get what you’re saying, it complicates things.
For now, (actually this spring/summer) I sure like the idea of regulating daytime temps about 80% of days out of the year in my use case with FREE energy. ?

I actually wish I could find a 36k + btu unit that I can just duct right into the existing propane forced air heater duct work and I’d remove that old thing and be near done.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for a way to keep a shipping container under 90degree during the day in the summer. This AC unit is perfect for my needs even though I already have a solar set up with inverter and batteries inside the container. The problem I was facing was battery size to be able to run the AC unit during the night. The only real component in the container that I didn’t want sitting in 90-100degree temps was the battery. So I was faced with either purchasing enough batteries to be able to run an AC unit 24/7 or remove the small single battery and use this AC with the existing 4 320 watt panels that are already on the roof to keep day time temps under 90* instead of 130*.

I would need about $5-6000 in batteries as a bare minimum plus additional panels $1-1500
Plus a standard Mini split $800. So about $8-9k

Or I remove the one battery, connect the existing 4 panels to this solar mini split for $1200-1500 and I’m done. Seems like a no brainer. I guess this could have limited uses but it sure filled the need for what I was looking for.

I’ve been looking for a way to keep a shipping container under 90degree during the day in the summer. This AC unit is perfect for my needs even though I already have a solar set up with inverter and batteries inside the container. The problem I was facing was battery size to be able to run the AC unit during the night. The only real component in the container that I didn’t want sitting in 90-100degree temps was the battery. So I was faced with either purchasing enough batteries to be able to run an AC unit 24/7 or remove the small single battery and use this AC with the existing 4 320 watt panels that are already on the roof to keep day time temps under 90* instead of 130*.

I would need about $5-6000 in batteries as a bare minimum plus additional panels $1-1500
Plus a standard Mini split $800. So about $8-9k

Or I remove the one battery, connect the existing 4 panels to this solar mini split for $1200-1500 and I’m done. Seems like a no brainer. I guess this could have limited uses but it sure filled the need for what I was looking for.
Perfect scenario. I’m thinking this type of setup is perfect for someone that is just trying to get an off grid structure setup. That individual may have bigger plans for the future but this system can satisfy some important needs NOW and the AC and solar panels can be used when expansion to more permanent systems are underway/completed.

Once the sun goes down you lose a lot of your heat gain so you might not need the AC to run then. I would give it a try without batteries and see how it does for a while.

diy solar

diy solar
Back