diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

In thinking 6 x 375w panels at 240v dc operating voltage for the 24k. I'd like to think i could 4 of those for the 12k

How many panels are you using to run each unit?
two of the units I have 3 370 watt mono's and the other 2 I have 4 330 watt poly's , in sun and even in overcast days as long as it isn't dark as night overcast they can run completely on solar. It gets cool at night here in central FL, by cool I mean usually in the 70's and sometimes less, like tonight it's going to be around 49F so I know I won't be using any grid power tonight LOL

two of the units I have 3 370 watt mono's and the other 2 I have 4 330 watt poly's , in sun and even in overcast days as long as it isn't dark as night overcast they can run completely on solar. It gets cool at night here in central FL, by cool I mean usually in the 70's and sometimes less, like tonight it's going to be around 49F so I know I won't be using any grid power tonight LOL
Thanks

Yeah I'm 30 min east of Gainesville FL

I now have my 5 ton power sucking monster central A/C units' breaker turned off :). Some think the price is high but if you look at decent Mini Splits at say Lowe's or HomeDepot you can pay $1,700 and up. Cheaper models can be as low as $700.
Yay! Finally input from someone with the 12K units.

I now call my aging 4 ton geothermal "The Beast" / I hate hearing it awaken. Low load time of year in KS but with the 24K Solar I probably haven't run Beast :poop: 8hrs total in the past 45 days.

I also hesitate to compare these EG4 / Deye units to maximum el cheapo brands (you know...the ones sold out of the back of a truck on Facebook Marketplace ). I feel they are of better quality. Time will tell. :)

Has anyone actually gotten a 12k and / or a 24k EG4 unit? I have looked at the manual and spec sheet, and written SS, but not exactly seeing what I need to know

1. How long are the actual included copper Line Sets for Each. I'm seeing on 9.8ft for the 12k and 13.1 ft for the 24k. Confirmed?
2. How Long is the Control wire (I saw a video which said it was actually shorter than the copper line set). I'm seeing 13ft for the 12k and 16ft for the 24k. Confirmed?
3. The Voltage range is between 80-380. If I Use 4 panels at 34.4v max power (not VOC) and 335w each panel, that is 137v and 1340w total. Is that enough to get either the 12k or the 24k unit up out of bed in the morning?

Also, in setting up series strings. Do they have to be even numbers or can you use odd numbers? All though odd numbers makes for funny looking arrays
1. Y
2. Y
3. 12k, Y (24k, you'd basically be running it as a 12k. Not a good plan.)

Series strings odd numbers no prob. Did you notice I said I'm not using the 8th panel on my racks? Makes a great project panel, check Voc , etc. Yes I'm also symmetry OCD as Rocksnsalt said. :cool:

1. Y
2. Y
3. 12k, Y (24k, you'd basically be running it as a 12k. Not a good plan.)

Series strings odd numbers no prob. Did you notice I said I'm not using the 8th panel on my racks? Makes a great project panel, check Voc , etc. Yes I'm also symmetry OCD as Rocksnsalt said. :cool:
Not using the 8th panel? Yes I did.

Thanks vLogger who shall remain nameless.

I just finished shooting video footage of me making lime Crema and pico de gallo. I'll edit it tomorrow.

????

Last edited:
Are there supplemental heat strips in the EG4 Heat Pumps or is the heat only produced from the compressor ?

OK ... so on to solar panels. WHAT IS ANYONES THOUGHTS ON USED PANELS?

I am thinking 6 335 for each Unit. Yes maybe a bit too much for the 12k ... but is that too few for the 24k??
What is anyone's thoughts on These? NEO 335w
At 6 that would be 2010w for each AC
With an VMP (operating DC input panel voltage) of 224.4vdc
And an ISC of 9.32 amps

I'm kicking myself because earlier today I had REC 375s sourced that were unused no warranty for $151, but the got got

Last edited:
Well let's see. I assume in N Fla your need for heat will be unusual and minimal?? ( the wattage for full heat output is slightly higher..)

The 12K unit achieves rated COOLING output at 940W.
The 24K, at 1790W.

I'm thinking 4-7-7 on panels?? However, based on the wattage reqd I think there are more experienced people here than I that can weigh in...

Also , Engineer 775 minor point. No clue what he is talking about app not updated for latest Android version?? I'm an engineer as well, so you bet your a** I'm running an Android phone, on version 13. And of course the app is running on my phone?? :ROFLMAO:

I am enjoying this thread. Some very good information.

I am considering the 12k EG4 unit for our 640 sq.ft. cabin. Probably adding a few solar panels to use on the split, but I would be using the AC primarily at night time. So, would be running off of my 2 EG4 48v batteries.

Will be following the thread and seeing how everyone does.

Well my 3 arrived today. EG4 mini split heat pumps: 1 12k / 2 24k.
- packaged very well
- arrived no damaged
- build is decent enough

Answering a few of my own questions
- the air duct fins left to right , while not automated, are manually adjustable
- up / down is automated
- but the line sets are a bit of a disappointment. Why is the 1 ton a 5 meter and the 2 ton only 4 meters. Odd
- and they're not swappable. The 1 ton 12k is 1/4" & 3/8" ... The 2 ton is 1/2" & 1/4" ( I need about 16 ft for one of the 2 tons. But I found a guy who will braise on 6 feet extra for $50)

Over all, pretty excited. Probably won't have a chance to install them until mid may, early June

IMG_20230425_162350~2.jpg

IMG_20230425_162534~2.jpg

Well my 3 arrived today. EG4 mini split heat pumps: 1 12k / 2 24k.
- packaged very well
- arrived no damaged
- build is decent enough

Answering a few of my own questions
- the air duct fins left to right , while not automated, are manually adjustable
- up / down is automated
- but the line sets are a bit of a disappointment. Why is the 1 ton a 5 meter and the 2 ton only 4 meters. Odd
- and they're not swappable. The 1 ton 12k is 1/4" & 3/8" ... The 2 ton is 1/2" & 1/4" ( I need about 16 ft for one of the 2 tons. But I found a guy who will braise on 6 feet extra for $50)

Over all, pretty excited. Probably won't have a chance to install them until mid may, early June

View attachment 146539

View attachment 146541
I installed my Hotspot this past weekend. And had the same issue. It came with a 3 meter line set. I bought a 6 meter one on Amazon for $150. Gotta love next day delivery.

I installed my Hotspot this past weekend. And had the same issue. It came with a 3 meter line set. I bought a 6 meter one on Amazon for $150. Gotta love next day delivery.
So the line sets are pretty much universal? As long as it's the right diameter? Are the nut fittings/ threads and the flare fittings all the same.

You're getting a line set off of Amazon was what I was thinking too until my guy said he'd do it for 50 bucks plus the copper. But the copper might be a fortune I don't know

So the line sets are pretty much universal? As long as it's the right diameter? Are the nut fittings/ threads and the flare fittings all the same.

You're getting a line set off of Amazon was what I was thinking too until my guy said he'd do it for 50 bucks plus the copper. But the copper might be a fortune I don't know
I was a little worried about the flare nuts being different. But they were the same.
I was prepared to swap them with the old ones, if needed.

Hopefully, you'll end up spending less than I did.

too bad they don't make a 30,00 BTU or 36,00 BTU. Also would be cool to see a multi head unit for smaller places divided up in to rooms, in any BTU.

Last edited:
too bad they don't make a 30,00 BTU or 36,00 BTU. Also would be cool to see a multi head unit for smaller places divided up in to rooms, in any BTU.
100% agree, especially re multi head units.

Btw the plug and play units are now available, at a disappointing considerable premium.

And the original 12kbtu unit is on sale for $999 for another day.
Mini Splits at the bottom of the page of this link:

Attachments

• 1B4C639B-BC04-4CA8-BD19-6BF7FF228EE2.png
    1B4C639B-BC04-4CA8-BD19-6BF7FF228EE2.png
    599.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
But when the head fails, you have zero A/C - heat. Why not have multiple independent units for more redundancy? That way, you don't get caught with your cheese in the wind.

diy solar

diy solar
Back