diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower4 48V Top Balancing Firmware.

Update
I updated the firmware ina all lifepower4 batteries x6 and the com hub. Hooked communications back to inverter to see what will happen. I found out nothing good came out of the ordeal. Inverters shut off today with F03 code on both and 1 battery alarm. 3 batteries had cell overvoltage 2 55.7 ish volts and all said 100%. I put it back in use so I could lower the voltage.
Love to hear from SS on this. This has been a problem with coms connected since I put in service. There is several calls to SS on this issue.
Any input would be helpful.

My batteries will not charge above 96% according to my 18/12K. I put the firmware relased prior to this one on all the batteries before bringing the system 100% online with no difficulty. The release notes made noises about 19200 baud. yesterday I peeled out one of my 6 batteries from the 485 bus, and with the tool I can read status and such... at 9600 baud, not 19200 but it refuses to read the boot info, nor will it upgrade. I ordered a communication hub in anticipation of more batteries, and because I noted some interesting discrepancies in SOC on the peeled out battery.

The question for @Markus_SignatureSolar is: Must I disconnect the battery completely from the bus to do an upgrade? I am using the latest version of the tool.

My batteries will not charge above 96% according to my 18/12K. I put the firmware relased prior to this one on all the batteries before bringing the system 100% online with no difficulty. The release notes made noises about 19200 baud. yesterday I peeled out one of my 6 batteries from the 485 bus, and with the tool I can read status and such... at 9600 baud, not 19200 but it refuses to read the boot info, nor will it upgrade. I ordered a communication hub in anticipation of more batteries, and because I noted some interesting discrepancies in SOC on the peeled out battery.

The question for @Markus_SignatureSolar is: Must I disconnect the battery completely from the bus to do an upgrade? I am using the latest version of the tool.

Update
I updated the firmware ina all lifepower4 batteries x6 and the com hub. Hooked communications back to inverter to see what will happen. I found out nothing good came out of the ordeal. Inverters shut off today with F03 code on both and 1 battery alarm. 3 batteries had cell overvoltage 2 55.7 ish volts and all said 100%. I put it back in use so I could lower the voltage.
Love to hear from SS on this. This has been a problem with coms connected since I put in service. There is several calls to SS on this issue.
Any input would be helpful.
I assume it was the 6500ex that shut down...not the 18Kpv?

Yes you cant have any loads at all

@ksmithaz1 you didn't describe what steps you took to update the firmware.. but I can say, if the battery is charging or discharging, then you won't be able to get boot info or start the firmware update process. It needs to be idle.

At first, I would turn my charge controllers off, and bypass the inverter, to do battery maintenance (like firmware updates) but now, I've split my 6 batteries into 2 groups of 3, each with a disconnect. this allows me to leave everything online/working, and just do maintenance on 3 batteries at a time, and then put them all back in service.

FYI, I've updated my 12 batteries numerous times now with the BMS_Test tool for Mac. Just sharing my process.

1: Turn off the inverter - no loads
2: disconnect all network cables from the battery that I'm upgrading.
3: Turn the battery off, and set the DIP switch ID to zero.
4: Turn on the battery, and wait for it to fully start.
5: Connect the USB-to-ethernet cable to either ethernet port on the battery.
6: Follow the directions from here in the firmware update document.

I've updated 24 batteries using the method and it has worked nearly flawlessly every time. Once in a while a battery BMS cycles when I pull the info so I have to wait for it to finish and then start the update, but it's happened maybe 2 or 3 times total and I've updated the firmware on all of these 24 batteries 3 times since I got them.

Hope this helps (y)

Attachments

• Guide on updating an EG4 Lifepower4 battery (1).pdf
    926 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Markus_SignatureSolar I know lots of people are asking you questions, so I'll try to keep mine really simple.

I have 12x LifePo4 batteries connected to my Sol-Ark 15K, through the EG4 Comm Hub. When my Inverter is pulling less than 2.2 amps per battery, neither the EG4 Comm Hub or Solar Assistant indicate that the battery is discharging, and thus the 15K sees no discharge according to the SOC.

If I only have a small load for a long period of time, that consumes less than 2.2 amps per battery, my SOC remains at 100% on the Comm Hub telling the Inverter the batteries have more charge than they do. This creates a problem because theoretically if this went on for long enough, I could get all the way down to say 20% SOC and the inverter would still be told by the Comm Hub the batteries are at 100% SOC.

Here is the question, is there a way to configure the LifePo4 batteries to report all amp draw to the Comm Hub, or at least greater than some small value like .5 amps?

I discovered it's currently 2.2 amps by playing with varying loads and detecting when they start reporting load and when they stop.

Thank you in advance!

Very strange. and does this happen with both inverters. If you plug into the slave.

I have heard of this 1 other time in the last 2 weeks and we tested this in R&D with it charging to 100% every time no faults.

What firmware do you have on the 6500s?

Back