diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LP4 Communications Hub firmware update fails

Zakharov

I am trying to update the firmware on my communications hub. I purchased the update cable from signature solar, it is labeled as an RS 232 cable which is apparently a slower cousin of RS 485. I plugged this cable into the USB port on my computer and the RS 485–3 inverter port on the hub. When I use BMS test software it will open the port however the get boot information fails and the update also fails. Has anyone had success with this update? My hub is version 1.6 and trying to update to 1.12.4. using BMS test software version 2.7.8.

Last edited:
The cable RJ45 should have pins 1&2 (normally T-568B, orange/white and orange) connected to the USB to RS485 converter on the other end of the cable. Depending on the Hub firmware the baud rate can be either 9600 or 19200

RJ45_Connector_Pinout.png

Does the cable work with any of your batteries?
Have you tried changing the baud rate.
Wire colors don't matter.
You could also try changing the protocol for the inverter port to EG4 (on the hub)

Actually I looked at the cable specs on the SS website and RJ45 pins 1,2,8 are assigned to Rx, Tx, GND which seems correct. Maybe 232 is the problem...

I had tried different baud rates but had not tried w batteries, only the hub. Will try and report back. Thanks for helping out btw

Actually I just tried and it did not work with a single battery set to dip switch one... perhaps the cable is bad

Some network cables are solid copper plated aluminium, they break on repeated bending and do not conduct well. I was supplied such a cable by Solax which would not transmit RS485, replaced it with a 27awg copper stranded Cat5e cable and the connection worked.

Back