diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Communications Hub (Best Practice)

Fun feature of hub with firmware 1.10 is you can see firmware version of each battery. You can also see voltage of every cell. I really like it.

Buy the hub...

Why?

Because
Thanks so much for posting the YouTube link. I've got the hub, EG4 6000ex and EG4 LifePower4 batteries with Solar Assistant. I never tried connecting my Pi to the batteries with the USB cable while they were connected to the hub, but I did today and finally have all the battery data in SA. I'm pretty sure others suggested this worked with other inverters but I guess I'm a little slow.

1709936544584.png

Buy the hub...

Why?

Because
Thank you! Appreciate the video. Coincidentally, I had ordered a Hub earlier this week... hadn't arrived yet. I'm currently running 6 Lifepower4's & 1 6500EX & 5.6kW bifacials. I have a 18kPV & 1 PowerPro sitting in the box for the house we are building. The plan is to add a 6000XP & 2 more PowerPro's along with my Lifepower4's. (I will be selling my 6500EX. ) OK that's the background. 😊

So I noticed that you have an 18kPV AND a 6000XP working together & this Hub seems to be very helpful. Do you also have any PowerPro's in your system? They have been saying you can't use these both together with Lifepower4's AND the PowerPro's...yet. Love to have any input you can offer. Thx

Thank you! Appreciate the video. Coincidentally, I had ordered a Hub earlier this week... hadn't arrived yet. I'm currently running 6 Lifepower4's & 1 6500EX & 5.6kW bifacials. I have a 18kPV & 1 PowerPro sitting in the box for the house we are building. The plan is to add a 6000XP & 2 more PowerPro's along with my Lifepower4's. (I will be selling my 6500EX. ) OK that's the background. 😊

So I noticed that you have an 18kPV AND a 6000XP working together & this Hub seems to be very helpful. Do you also have any PowerPro's in your system? They have been saying you can't use these both together with Lifepower4's AND the PowerPro's...yet. Love to have any input you can offer. Thx
I don't have any powerpros.

Personally, I would be fine using both battery brands/designs in a shared battery setup.

yep batteries set as instructions, I have 4 EG4 Lifepower4 48 v and 2 GroWatt 5000 es inverters. I spent an hour with Sig Solar and the tech said it was designed for more batteries. That makes no sense to me if will work with 6 why not 4?
I purchased the hub and then saw on SS that it would not work with Growatt. When I called SS they informed me it would not hurt anything, but it would not do anything either. So I returned it.

Whereas the Communication Hub is not necessary with the Growatt inverter to communicate. It can be used in conjunction with the Growatt to show more detailed information about the LIfePower4 batteries.

But that is not what SS told me, I was told it would do nothing with the growatts
Whereas the Communication Hub is not necessary with the Growatt inverter to communicate. It can be used in conjunction with the Growatt to show more detailed information about the LIfePower4 batteries.

Which is really the same case with things like the 6500EX's & LifePower4's. Correct?

Which is really the same case with things like the 6500EX's & LifePower4's. Correct?

That would be correct. The main use case for the communication hub is for inverters that require a different communication protocol or CAN communication.

No difference how you wire it you will run into issues. EG4 did not officially get in closed loop with sol-ark, and sol-ark won't support it because they never accomplished this. They made it look as if they went through all the protocol, but you will have issues. You don't have to take it out of closed loop but look at your voltages and see if they match the voltages they would want you to put in if you were adding the battery manually in open loop. They probably wont match up and be pretty far off. Ive tested this multiple times and it is not consistent.
What voltages would I want to put if I were setting it to open loop?

Back