diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Off-Grid

miahallen

I'm a solar installer in Belize, and I've installed a few SOL-ARK systems over the past few years. I even did a 15K x 9 system for 208V 3ph for a poultry hatchery here in Belize last year.

QPH_2.jpg

I've recently started purchasing the EG4 inverters for similar specs on paper, I'm currently working on 5 different systems using the EG4 8K Hybrid unit. All 5 systems will be used for off-grid systems. Two of the systems have 4 units in parallel operation with 47KW of solar and 80-120KWh lithium battery banks. Here is one system:

1683561789622.png

I'm hoping to get any advice and tips of getting these inverters setup & configured best for these systems. I'm spoken to Signature Solar tech support, and they answered some of my questions. But I have a couple remaining now, and maybe more later:

1) The EG4 8K unit has LOAD1 and LOAD2 outputs on it. The outdated owner's manual which shipped with my units says (pg 22):
"Load1 port: important load
Load2 port: When battery is not sufficient, the load on this interface automatically powers down."

This lead me to believe that I would be able to put critical loads on Load1, and non-critical loads on Load2 and have it shut off at a programmable SOC or battery voltage. Which would be ideal for these installations. However, when I spoke to tech support, they notified me that I was looking at an outdated manual, and checking the update online I found they updated this page (pg 17) to read:
"Load 1 port: Critical loads.
Load 2 port: When grid is not present, the load on this interface will power down."
So, it would seem to me that the first option (from the outdated manual) should be possible in software, but is not currently intended. When I power up the inverters now (without grid), I have voltage readings on both ports. Does anyone have an idea how I can use port 1 & 2 as indicated in the older manual?

2) On the EG4 6000EX off-grid inverter (seperate installation), how do I setup multiple users on the Solar Power monitoring app?

Those installs look pretty cool. I'm surprised by how much different code must be there than the NEC requirements here in the states. We would never be able to get away with installs like that. We would probably have to spend another $20,000+ in metal conduit and troughs, fireproofing and who knows what.

Those installs look pretty cool. I'm surprised by how much different code must be there than the NEC requirements here in the states. We would never be able to get away with installs like that. We would probably have to spend another $20,000+ in metal conduit and troughs, fireproofing and who knows what.
Right. Unless this job was pulled with no permits and someone cutting corners. Major corners But spending that kind money on 9 solarks why would you cut corners ? Plumbing pipes for conduit :(

Right. Unless this job was pulled with no permits and someone cutting corners. Major corners But spending that kind money on 9 solarks why would you cut corners ? Plumbing pipes for conduit :(
Have you guys not traveled to the Caribbean or other foreign countries around the world?
Sometimes you just have to use whatever is available to you.

Back