diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8K battery parameter configuration

miahallen

I have 2 systems I'm currently setting up for small businesses in Belize. Both system are almost identical (only battery size changes) OFF-GRID configurations.
  • 4pcs - EG4 8K inverters in split phase parallel configuration
  • 47KWp per system. 4 strings of 8x370W panels (Isc_11.6A, Voc_41.5V, Pmax_373W, Imax_10.8A, Vmp_34.2V), per inverter.
  • 16/24pcs Polarium 48V 100AH NMC batteries (common bank for all inverters)
I cannot find any parameters for configuring the battery, other than the capacity settings, and the charge voltage settings via the inverters on-screen controls (also OVD, max charge, and max discharge). It seemed to me that more settings should be available somewhere, but I'm not finding any other parameters via software. I found the support videos on the solarmanpv.com website which describes the "local" connection, with additional parameters, but I do not see any battery parameters in those local setting either. I have written SS tech support, but so far, they have been pretty unhelpful.

1684252788060.png
  1. I would like some assistance with figuring out how to get the battery percentage to show correctly in the app/online.
  2. I would like to configure the LOAD1 "low voltage disconnect" parameter
  3. Also, the LOAD2 "low voltage disconnect" parameter.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

When talking with Megarevo over Whatsapp they have access to many more settings over the wifi stick than I have access to. I've asked for the configuration access and get crickets. I suspect EG4 has this access as well. But so far I don't understand why the consumer or at the very least an installer shouldn't have this ability. Especially when trying to sync up configurations across four inverters like you are doing. In playing with settings the charge rate does seem to be tied to the AH capacity so I have mine set to 1000ah (max). I'm working through some issues but typing this out I just thought it could be they are allowing a 10% charge rate which is why I haven't seen over 100a from an inverter. I saw one mention of the full 8kw not being accessible when in lead acid mode. With each firmware I've loaded there have been different bugs and different features available. But no one firmware that seems to fix old and provide new features.

The firmware from EG4 labeled "generator" that has the parallel features is the only one I can get paralleling to work on since the other I have will error out if more than 8kw is being pulled. But this generator version has a bug where inputs 3 and 4 underperform in cloudy weather!

I realize I'm not actually being of help here in your question. Please share if you figure something out!

You bought from SS/EG4, so most logical thing is to get support from SS.
It looks like your MR does not communicate with the BMS of your batteries.
Once that is working, you should not set any parameters on the inverter, just on the BMS.
I had troubles getting my MR to talk to my batteries and the data cable connection was different from what is mentioned in the installation manuals.
I am glad i have it working now
Screenshot from 2023-06-24 20-23-37.png

fromport, I need to circle back around to messing with my Seplos BMS comms to my Megarevo. Last I played with it it seemed like the Seplos would advertise the "max voltage" to the inverter. This is the same voltage that the BMS would go into protect mode at. Inverter would interpret this as hey I'll charge to that voltage. Of course the Megarevo doesn't agree exactly on what the battery voltage was so it would inevitably try to charge past that voltage therefore tripping the mosfets in the BMS. Does your BMS actually communicate percentage full and the Megarevo use that number to know when the battery is full? Sorry I know that's a wall of text and I'm hijacking a thread but here I am :).

fromport, I need to circle back around to messing with my Seplos BMS comms to my Megarevo. Last I played with it it seemed like the Seplos would advertise the "max voltage" to the inverter. This is the same voltage that the BMS would go into protect mode at. Inverter would interpret this as hey I'll charge to that voltage. Of course the Megarevo doesn't agree exactly on what the battery voltage was so it would inevitably try to charge past that voltage therefore tripping the mosfets in the BMS. Does your BMS actually communicate percentage full and the Megarevo use that number to know when the battery is full? Sorry I know that's a wall of text and I'm hijacking a thread but here I am :).

I don't know if my MR looks for voltage settings or % of battery.
I bought the "bluesun" labeled MR with "bluesun" oem'd batteries.
I regret buying those because they are 15s 120Ah batteries (5.76kWh)
I use modbus to set to what % to discharge at night (eg 20% or 40%) and that always seems to work well when I check on graphs.
Screenshot from 2023-06-24 20-58-22.png
@NCSolarGarage has 2 MR working in parallel and he found one of his MR was measuring a different voltage from his batteries than his other MR. He tried to get official support from MR but got crickets (like most of us MR owners).
He was brave/smart enough to start experimenting with modbus parameters and he eventually was able to compensate the faulty MR to offset for the wrong voltage reading. It sounds that is what you would need as well to calibrate the voltage readings between the MR and the BMS.
That way the MR will no longer over charge your BMS/batteries.
Since I tagged him in this conversation, he might chime in and tell you what he did to solve his issue!

I did manage to bug the MR folks enough they adjusted my voltages (One inverter was also about 2v higher than the other, just another level of ugh). But haven't gone back to closed loop to see how well it works. I'm suspicious if it will actually work as intended. And getting info out of MR is like pulling teeth!

I did manage to bug the MR folks enough they adjusted my voltages (One inverter was also about 2v higher than the other, just another level of ugh). But haven't gone back to closed loop to see how well it works. I'm suspicious if it will actually work as intended. And getting info out of MR is like pulling teeth!
I have given up on getting any satisfying support from MR.
Last week a sales person contacted me and I told him that after multiple support sessions ending at the side of MR, I was no longer interested in selling MR he said he would look into that.
We will see what happens.

Yep I had a sales person start telling me about how they were coming out with an updated model with a color screen. I couldn't care less! Just need it to operate as designed. Ha ha. Trying to convince them I can help them debug it and make it a great product. I'm hopeful as there was mention of one of their big buyers bowing out.

I did manage to bug the MR folks enough they adjusted my voltages

As @fromport said, there is some calibration that can be done via modbus. The 2v thing really messed things up because I have solar strings into both inverters. Once that inverter 'thought' the target voltage was reached, it would stop producing power via solar. Once I sent an new calibration voltage to the inverter via modbus, all was good. I'm surprised/happy you were able to get remote support from them.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but I'm thankful we have this online forum to work through all our issues together.

As @fromport said, there is some calibration that can be done via modbus. The 2v thing really messed things up because I have solar strings into both inverters. Once that inverter 'thought' the target voltage was reached, it would stop producing power via solar. Once I sent an new calibration voltage to the inverter via modbus, all was good. I'm surprised/happy you were able to get remote support from them.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but I'm thankful we have this online forum to work through all our issues together.
Yes indeed, I am technical but getting into modbus isn't something i've ever done so I'm thankful for people like you that are sharing knowledge! I was told I'd have to either buy 100 units or pay $1400 to get Solarman access where I could change settings to the inverters remotely. I don't know if this access would have calibration access or not but I suspect so. I'm just not prepared to pony up $1400 right now!

Back