diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8k firmware update 09.19.23

There is a new firmware released for the EG4 8k inverter, the firmware will be released on the EG4 website soon for download but I have linked it below as well as the updated manual. The ZIP file contains the new firmware, software, and a change log. If you have any questions or concerns please email support@eg4electronics.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.
I feel like an idiot but I must be the only person in the universe that can't find a single piece of information how to get a firmware file update from a laptop to an EG4 8kw inverter. I see a hundred folks saying they've updated their unit but no says how. Is an EG4 app required? Which port on the inverter is used? What baud rate?

I feel like an idiot but I must be the only person in the universe that can't find a single piece of information how to get a firmware file update from a laptop to an EG4 8kw inverter. I see a hundred folks saying they've updated their unit but no says how. Is an EG4 app required? Which port on the inverter is used? What baud rate?
Hello Streeter07, I have sent you a DM.

This release is the first firmware update I have tried. But I'm getting errors with the Hybrid application.
Is a previous version required?
I was told (Signature Solar) to do the 'CatTargetFile' with the .axf file first. The GREAT manual/Word file doesn't even mention this, is just says
"Update both firmwares on the inverter" No details like the 'Flash Update' using the .out file.
Doing the CatTargetFile I get an error related to C:\Keil_v5 (full path and subdirectories) not found, and they are not on disk after the install of the Hybrid app...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Should I be performing the upgrade in this manner or do the Flash Upgrade first... like the Word file states?

Any help would be appreciated.

This release is the first firmware update I have tried. But I'm getting errors with the Hybrid application.
Is a previous version required?
I was told (Signature Solar) to do the 'CatTargetFile' with the .axf file first. The GREAT manual/Word file doesn't even mention this, is just says
"Update both firmwares on the inverter" No details like the 'Flash Update' using the .out file.
Doing the CatTargetFile I get an error related to C:\Keil_v5 (full path and subdirectories) not found, and they are not on disk after the install of the Hybrid app...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Should I be performing the upgrade in this manner or do the Flash Upgrade first... like the Word file states?

Any help would be appreciated.
There was an issue with the firmware on the eg4 website, it had a space in the file path causing an error. This has since been updated, could you redownload the firmware or erase any spaces in the file path when trying to update? If youre still experiencing issues other than this can you please either post the error message or DM it to me?

Updated when? I just downloaded the zip file yesterday (thinking that the EG4 data could be different than the SS data)
I do not see a space in the full path to the .axf file, it looks correct.
I also noticed that there seems to be a path length issue, when I first tried to import the file ( from the unzipped folder location) the app would not show the full path. So, I copied the files to the Hybrid directory, then it seemed to look OK.

Am I supposed to do the CatTargetFile first ?

Updated when? I just downloaded the zip file yesterday (thinking that the EG4 data could be different than the SS data)
I do not see a space in the full path to the .axf file, it looks correct.
I also noticed that there seems to be a path length issue, when I first tried to import the file ( from the unzipped folder location) the app would not show the full path. So, I copied the files to the Hybrid directory, then it seemed to look OK.

Am I supposed to do the CatTargetFile first ?
The firmware .zip was changed yesterday 11/13/23 4:05pm CST, if you downloaded it prior to then or from a different source than https://eg4electronics.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/EG4-8K-Firmware.zip please re-download the .zip and see if you're encountering the same issue. Performing the .axf or .out first should not matter. I have attached an outdated guide(the guide was made when the "generator" firmware was first released) on how to setup the Hybrid installer and perform the .out update(I will work on getting an up-to-date copy of this added to the .zip for the future), it will be the same process for the .axf. If you encounter any error messages after this please either post them in this thread or DM them to me. Thank you.

Attachments

• EG4 8kw Inverter Firmware Update Guide.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Just downloaded the latest zip file. Installed Hybrid again and I am still getting the same error. Screenshot attached.
The firmware or the Hybrid app are trying to reference the C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin\fromelf.exe (which does not exist on disk)
This file does exist in the C:\Hybrid\exe\fromelf.exehybrid_error.JPG

OK, I've also tried to install and run on another PC... first PC was Win10, 2nd was Win11
SAME result on both.

Just experienced the issue I'm trying to resolve with this firmware update.....

Early in the morning when the sun is just up, the inverter goes down, everything...
I try to run to the solar shed and catch any error messages, etc., but it resets and everything is back online.
I do not see any messages on the display, not warning lights.

Now I see that this model is being sunset... must be too many problems, and I'm stuck with it.

Just experienced the issue I'm trying to resolve with this firmware update.....

Early in the morning when the sun is just up, the inverter goes down, everything...
I try to run to the solar shed and catch any error messages, etc., but it resets and everything is back online.
I do not see any messages on the display, not warning lights.

Now I see that this model is being sunset... must be too many problems, and I'm stuck with it.
This is a setting you can change at display, has nothing to do with firmware.

See

Last edited:
Just downloaded the latest zip file. Installed Hybrid again and I am still getting the same error. Screenshot attached.
The firmware or the Hybrid app are trying to reference the C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin\fromelf.exe (which does not exist on disk)
This file does exist in the C:\Hybrid\exe\fromelf.exeView attachment 177917
Can you move the unzipped firmware folder containing the .out and .axf files to your C: drive (C:\EG4-8k-firmware) and see if you're still getting this error?

That's exactly where it was unzipped to .... that is where I have referenced the files from... I have even tested putting them in the C:\hybrid folder
Same result.
Even moved them up a folder... to the root of that location instead of the 'firmware files'.. same result

Thanks for video, I did make that change, mine was 'Enabled'
We will see if it shuts down tomorrow morning.

Glad to have a resource like this forum... you would think that SS support would know this. Or I should have searched more...
I tried several searches and could not find exactly what was wrong....

If this works, I can stop agonizing about the firmware, although I would like the Generator fixes.

Right now I'm at my REMOTE cabin @ 9700' hunting elk, and it's cold, snow on the ground, really would not want to brick the unit and have no power.

I can deal with the firmware next summer in better conditions... maybe they can get this resolved and TESTED so it will work.

That's exactly where it was unzipped to .... that is where I have referenced the files from... I have even tested putting them in the C:\hybrid folder
Same result.
Even moved them up a folder... to the root of that location instead of the 'firmware files'.. same result
Can you move the .out and .axf files out of the 8k firmware folder and the firmware files subfolder and put them in the hybrid folder directly? C:\Hybrid\hybrid_appLNAV1.03.24B01D18_20230829.axf | C:\Hybrid\HybridInverter8KSNA_v1.4.13.B03D32_20230915.out

Back