diy solar

diy solar

Firmware failure - EG4 6000xp - Limp mode - Anyone experiencing this?

nnagreg

Summary: Firmware update fails on my new 6000xp , after several attempts only 1 of 4 of the firmware flash updates would actually stick,
EG4 Level 2 is aware of the problem, stated they will supply a different firmware to signature solar.
One Week later, No progress - Still dead (in Limp Mode) - SEE 12/9 UPDATE BELOW

Anyone else experience Limp mode or firmware issues?

Or Does it have a factory reset?

Thank you, Greg

Update 12/8
Note, I added the new PowerPro wall, but the communication was not working with the BSM

Update 12/9 Working
The Eg4 People jumped on this issue right away the evening 12/8 after I posted to the forum. In fact I had multiple Eg4 people reach out around 9pm, I was pleasantly surprised and happy to see they were eager to get me up and running.

Thank you! @EG4_Jarrett

The Inverter came out of the LIMP mode, after, they cleared the errors and restarted the inverter.

Within a few minutes EG4 had the inverter back online with AC out, running on Battery since it was after dusk, found that the Grid input will only function with 240V therefore you need both L1 & L2, the invert will not operate with only120V from GRID. I'm assuming this is thecase for GEN input as well.

In addition, they assisted me with tweaking the communications configurations between 6000xp and Powerpro.
- See @Will Prowse Youtube video at 8:50 mark, I had the exact same communication challenge, the solution works.

Today we had very Minnesnow'da solar day, with a dismal 600w coming from two strings.

Tomorrow 12/10 I'll update it again with PV status
One more Minnesnow'da solar day, with a dismal 251w coming from two strings.

Tomorrow 12/11 I'll update it again with PV status
----------

You can ready the full details of my experience below:
This is my story, sharing the excitement, the experience and seeking any feedback from others that may have run into similar issues.

My Brand new shiny EG4 6000xp was humming along for about 30 minutes, then the series of support emails and calls began.

Here is my setup (At least Initially):
Two strings of SIX @540W (675W bifacial) panels (total of 12) @~281 volts​
One EG4 6000xp​
No Battery (YES, straight from the PV - batteryless setup) - Added Propower 12/8​
No Grid - Added 120V, but not working - 12/8​
No Generator​
AC Load side (L1) - One 1500W space heater, add second 1500W​

Everything from unboxing, mounting, setup, wifi went extremely well (generally...with a few exceptions*).
Although a quick start guide would really be nice.

* minor problems
The mounting template (was difficult to locate, since it the first cardboard item that you pull out and set aside - This was on me.
The Wifi dongle did not seat properly, unless I removed the metal protective cover - It appears they drilled the holes in correctly.

With excitement and heavy side of caution, I checked my system with a meter multiple times prior to powering up (multi-step process).

Good News! Everything came up with no issues or problems. The EG4 monitoring software was presenting great information

Went through the entire menus system on the screen, made two changes.
EPS voltage was empty - I set it 240/120​
HZ was empty - I set it to 60​

At this point my heater was cranking out plenty of heat, however I noticed that my PV was only reporting about 1500W incoming between the two strings. In reality I should see something closer to ~3500w from each spring on this incredible cold and sunny day.

Thus, I started exploring the menus and options within the monitoring tool, the version of firmware in my system was ccaa-140a0a, I clicked on '?", it recommended a Standard update. (As I was reading more, on my screen it referenced something about 140B0B &18pvk FAAB-1616), at this point the flash process was complete

----------- Problem started after the standard update.

When the inverter came back online - I believe it was in something similar to LIMP MODE on your car.

The incoming watts from the individual PV strings registered around ~25w per string
The AC was off / locked out

At this point, I began reaching out to signature solar via email with no responses.
On Monday Morning, I reached out via phone call. The level one support was great, they remoted to my box, they could see the same problem. They attempted several remote firmware updates, stated there is a problem with my second firmware and then reach out to EG4.

Was told EG4 was sending looking into it.

I've called once a day everyday this week and twice on Friday as I was hoping to have something working again before the weekend.

About mid-week, I added a connection to the GRID AC input L1 - Thinking maybe the firmware updates are prevented with only running on PV and not having a backup source of power (similar to updates on a phone or a laptop) - I've been unable to test this, I noticed the Standard Update button is locked out now.

BTW - This is what I learned about support levels and hours:
Level One support from signature solar is open until 8pm central -​
The support people here were very accommodating! (Kudos to Jenna & Dylan)​
Level Two support from EG4 ends at 4:30pm central - What? ?​
- No response yet​

Patiently Waiting. :)

Last edited:
Yes of course.
I'll turn the battery on in just a few minutes. It's online. I'm private DM you my information. Thx!

Last edited:
Summary: Firmware update fails on my new 6000xp , after several attempts only 1 of 4 of the firmware flash updates would actually stick,
EG4 Level 2 is aware of the problem, stated they will supply a different firmware to signature solar.
One Week later, No progress - Still dead (in Limp Mode)

Anyone else experience Limp mode or firmware issues?

Or Does it have a factory reset?

Thank you, Greg
----------

You can ready the full details of my experience below:
This is my story, sharing the excitement, the experience and seeking any feedback from others that may have run into similar issues.

My Brand new shiny EG4 6000xp was humming along for about 30 minutes, then the series of support emails and calls began.

Here is my setup (At least Initially):
Two strings of SIX @540W panels (total of 12) @~281 volts​
One EG4 6000xp​
No Battery (YES, straight from the PV - batteryless setup)​
No Grid​
No Generator​
AC Load side (L1) - One 1500W space heater​

Everything from unboxing, mounting, setup, wifi went extremely well (generally...with a few exceptions*).
Although a quick start guide would really be nice.

* minor problems
The mounting template (was difficult to locate, since it the first cardboard item that you pull out and set aside - This was on me.
The Wifi dongle did not seat properly, unless I removed the metal protective cover - It appears they drilled the holes in correctly.

With excitement and heavy side of caution, I checked my system with a meter multiple times prior to powering up (multi-step process).

Good News! Everything came up with no issues or problems. The EG4 monitoring software was presenting great information

Went through the entire menus system on the screen, made two changes.
EPS voltage was empty - I set it 240/120​
HZ was empty - I set it to 60​

At this point my heater was cranking out plenty of heat, however I noticed that my PV was only reporting about 1500W incoming between the two strings. In reality I should see something closer to ~3500w from each spring on this incredible cold and sunny day.

Thus, I started exploring the menus and options within the monitoring tool, the version of firmware in my system was ccaa-140B0B, I clicked on '?", it recommended a Standard update. (As I was reading more, on my screen it referenced something about 18pvk FAAB-1616), at this point the flash process was complete

----------- Problem started after the standard update.

When the inverter came back online - I believe it was in something similar to LIMP MODE on your car.

The incoming watts from the individual PV strings registered around ~25w per string
The AC was off / locked out

At this point, I began reaching out to signature solar via email with no responses.
On Monday Morning, I reached out via phone call. The level one support was great, they remoted to my box, they could see the same problem. They attempted several remote firmware updates, stated there is a problem with my second firmware and then reach out to EG4.

Was told EG4 was sending looking into it.

I've called once a day everyday this week and twice on Friday as I was hoping to have something working again before the weekend.

About mid-week, I added a connection to the GRID AC input L1 - Thinking maybe the firmware updates are prevented with only running on PV and not having a backup source of power (similar to updates on a phone or a laptop) - I've been unable to test this, I noticed the Standard Update button is locked out now.

BTW - This is what I learned about support levels and hours:
Level One support from signature solar is open until 8pm central -​
The support people here were very accommodating! (Kudos to Jenna & Dylan)​
Level Two support from EG4 ends at 4:30pm central - What? ?​
- No response yet​

Patiently Waiting. :)
Can I help you out pm me your station name please I want to see this for myself.

Something else too - mine has firmware ccaa-140B0B but it is not recommending any updates. Not sure why. In any case mine is working fine.

You don't mention setting 19, which should be enabled to allow the system to only use PV for loads. I'm guessing you have that enabled, but just checking.

Let us know what you find out.

I'll add that its odd that you have a firmware update...0B0B is current.

Unless you have batteries...the solar will be limited to what ever your load is.

@nnagreg

1st can you do a full reboot? (Sounds like you already did)

2nd Can you confirm that the dongle has all three lights on?

3rd during firmware updates it might be best to only perform updates when you have a guaranteed power source (battery)

Let us know what you find out.

I'll add that its odd that you have a firmware update...0B0B is current.

Unless you have batteries...the solar will be limited to what ever your load is.
Ok, I went back to my screen shots. For Clarity.
The firmware initially started as 140a0a and got hung up when it was attempting to move to 0B0B

Ok, I went back to my screen shots. For Clarity.
The firmware initially started as 140a0a and got hung up when it was attempting to move to 0B0B
Do you have the comm cable plugged in to the 6000xp?

Back