diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8k firmware update 09.19.23

EG4_Ty

EG4 Electronics Support
There is a new firmware released for the EG4 8k inverter, the firmware will be released on the EG4 website soon for download but I have linked it below as well as the updated manual. The ZIP file contains the new firmware, software, and a change log. If you have any questions or concerns please email support@eg4electronics.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Attachments

• EG4 8K FW 09.19.23.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 53
  • EG4 8KEXP-240 Manual Ver. 1.5.0.pdf
    9.4 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Can anyone post updates in here if this fixes zero export? I bought the 8k from sig solar before and had to return it because zero export didn't work at all.

Feedback manual:
page 39
Grid Freq LOW: 42 Hz
Grid Freq HIGH: 58 Hz
Those examples must be for a 50 Hz grid setup.

What should be the values for 60 Hz grid ?
Mine currently are set to
Grid Freq LOW: 57 Hz
Grid Freq HIGH: 63 Hz

Feedback manual:
page 39
Grid Freq LOW: 42 Hz
Grid Freq HIGH: 58 Hz
Those examples must be for a 50 Hz grid setup.

What should be the values for 60 Hz grid ?
Mine currently are set to
Grid Freq LOW: 57 Hz
Grid Freq HIGH: 63 Hz
Those are fine. I use 62 and 58. Even a little variance off of 60 is bad so you can edit it higher if you want

Can anyone post updates in here if this fixes zero export? I bought the 8k from sig solar before and had to return it because zero export didn't work at all.
Page 55 of the 1.5 version manual:

Zero export Mode: In this mode, the ct limiters should be installed in the input of the
inverter's grid port. Caution: Inverter does not support full Zero Export capability. Some
power may be fed to the grid, especially due to surges.

I have a white-labeled unit running v23 but would like to update to this newer firmware for the BMS Pylon feature. Is the generic firmware different from the EG4 releases, e.g. allowing Signature Solar rather than Megarevo to make settings changes?

I have a white-labeled unit running v23 but would like to update to this newer firmware for the BMS Pylon feature. Is the generic firmware different from the EG4 releases, e.g. allowing Signature Solar rather than Megarevo to make settings changes?
It is all one and the same unit. All firmware will run on all models afaik.

I updated to v24 firmware (the 09.19.23 file from EG4) in hopes to improving charging compatibility with my batteries, but now I'm having problems getting it to charge at all! My current settings:
  • Work Mode: Battery priority (to force charging)
  • Charge Current: 10a
  • Advanced mode: Disabled
I'm hoping you guys can confirm my understanding of some of these screens:
  1. The Battery Info and BMS Parameter screens suggests that the battery BMS is communicating properly to the inverter, correct? The voltage and SoC match the what the individual BMS screens on the 2 batteries show.
  2. The "STA" screen showing "C D" indicates that charging and discharging are allowed, right?
  3. Does the State screen ever show "battery" on the SYS line? Mine currently only shows PV and Grid. DCDC shows "Charge". But as shown in the Power screen, I'm only seeing noise for the battery power (it flops around between 0 and 30w)
I've reset the system several times since doing the firmware update, and it seems charge for a short while, but then stops. I've also tried setting the battery type to lead-acid and it still does not charge! I guess I'll need to revert back to the v23 firmware if I can't get this charging issue resolved. Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.

Attachments

• firmware.jpg
    firmware.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 14
  • state.jpg
    state.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
  • power.jpg
    power.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 13
  • bms parms.jpg
    bms parms.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 13
  • battery info.jpg
    battery info.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I updated to v24 firmware (the 09.19.23 file from EG4) in hopes to improving charging compatibility with my batteries, but now I'm having problems getting it to charge at all! My current settings:
  • Work Mode: Battery priority (to force charging)
  • Charge Current: 10a
  • Advanced mode: Disabled
I'm hoping you guys can confirm my understanding of some of these screens:
  1. The Battery Info and BMS Parameter screens suggests that the battery BMS is communicating properly to the inverter, correct? The voltage and SoC match the what the individual BMS screens on the 2 batteries show.
  2. The "STA" screen showing "C D" indicates that charging and discharging are allowed, right?
  3. Does the State screen ever show "battery" on the SYS line? Mine currently only shows PV and Grid. DCDC shows "Charge". But as shown in the Power screen, I'm only seeing noise for the battery power (it flops around between 0 and 30w)
I've reset the system several times since doing the firmware update, and it seems charge for a short while, but then stops. I've also tried setting the battery type to lead-acid and it still does not charge! I guess I'll need to revert back to the v23 firmware if I can't get this charging issue resolved. Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.
Do you have advanced settings you can get into.

Do you have advanced settings you can get into.

Yes, I've played with them in the past but found that for my primary use case (battery backup during frequent power outages) that I don't really need them. I've since set advanced mode to disabled, which per my understanding should make any other options there moot.

Update: I powered down the inverter again last night without changing any settings and it started charging properly. I had a suspicion that the cause may have been related to making settings changes from Solar Assistant, so I attempted to replicate the issue but nothing I did caused it to stop charging like it had before. I haven't touched anything in the Advanced menu (still disabled) since the restart and will limit changes only to the things I really care about in hopes that this won't happen again. My long-term goals with the inverter include:
  • change the work mode (via automation between Home Assistant and SA) for demand-response events in my area
  • disabling the inverter output to reduce idle load overnight. I've been doing this by changing the battery communication to RS485 (which is not connected since I use CAN). The downside is that I lose EPS functionality while battery comms are down, but I'll have automation turn it back on if grid voltage drops. This brief outage during our infrequent blackouts is worth the idle load savings to me.

There is a new firmware released for the EG4 8k inverter, the firmware will be released on the EG4 website soon for download but I have linked it below as well as the updated manual. The ZIP file contains the new firmware, software, and a change log. If you have any questions or concerns please email support@eg4electronics.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.
I upgraded my Inverter to this version firmware yesterday.
I had a lot of usage from the grid even when batteries were basically providing "own use" (yellow line below)
I did another power cycle about 40 minutes later, hence one more peak, but the yellow line was flat otherwise.

Screenshot from 2023-10-08 09-29-39.png

I checked this morning around 9:24 AM
Screenshot from 2023-10-08 09-30-59.png
There was one more peak but other wise flat.
This morning it had used from midnight to 9:24 am 0.38kWh from the grid vs 2kWh yesterday , same time on the old firmware.
I will go over the new/extended settings today to see what I can improve on my setup.
I like it so far!

Last edited:

Typo in the menu:
1 Sys Settings -> 10 ZeroExportP -> ZeroExprotPower input: 000W

Exprot -> Export

I went through all menu options of this software version and tried to document my current configuration and the possible options.
The menu structure is clearly different from the latest released EG8K 1.5 manual.

This is what I came up with:

*update* formatting was disaster pasting here on the forum direct so using a pastebin service instead:

My current setup is that it only charges my batteries from PV and that when the batteries are full, it will start feeding back in the grid.
This graphs it on a good solar day:
Screenshot from 2023-10-08 14-50-34.png

I have Time-of-Use (Peak, off peak, super off peak rates) and would like to change it to roughly this:
Every time it is not super off peak, use PV & batteries to provide power to the house/loads, unless batteries are depleted (let's say minimum of 30% SOC in case of power outage so that at least fridge/freezers won't spoil).
During the super off peak, i would like to charge my batteries from the grid (maximum charge of 90% if possible) so that I will be ready next day with almost full batteries so I will be feeding back to grid way faster than currently (if ever with the overcast we currently have).
Does anybody know what settings need to changed to realize that behavior ?

Last edited:
I have a feeling there is a glitch in this software.
Look at this graph:
Screenshot from 2023-10-08 21-56-46.png
The 2 mppt's i use had no spikes but supposedly total DC input power had a spike.
PV1 1.64kW + PV2 1.21kW = 2.85 kWh. Spike says 4.4 kW.
Anyone an idea what could lead to this ?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-08 21-56-46.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-08 21-56-46.png
    69 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The 2 mppt's i use had no spikes but supposedly total DC input power had a spike.
PV1 1.64kW + PV2 1.21kW = 2.85 kWh. Spike says 4.4 kW.
Anyone an idea what could lead to this ?
This looks like a graph from solarman, which I have limited experience with since I switched to Solar Assistant soon after moving my PV to the Megarevo. The other obvious source of DC power would be the batteries, so could it just be that the inverter pulled that extra power from the batteries?

Back