diy solar

diy solar

Electric Island: First US charging station for electric semis is ready for megawatt fast-charging

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
ref: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...station-electric-semis-megawatt-fast-charging

Big electric trucks have big charging needs. They’re megawatt-level charging needs, when you consider how quickly trucks will need to pack the energy back in and not interrupt their daily, time-is-money business too much.... the prototype Freightliner eM2 truck ... has a maximum 315-kwh (usable) battery pack, offering a range of up to 230 miles fully loaded
If there were 10 electric heavy-duty trucks, all charging at 1 MW, that’s 10 MW—about the same as a semiconductor plant, according to Joe Colett, product manager for emerging technologies at PGE. “
Guess which DoE report probably doesn't include electric trucks...

Also, trucks like the eM2 are local delivery trucks that run during the day and recharge at night, not a poster model for solar.

Last edited:
I live 12 or so miles from the intersection of 2 interstates and there are a few freight terminals nearby. If the first electric trucks are expected to be for local delivery, I would think these terminals would install their own charging infrastructure on site. At least that is what I would do. But who knows? They don't have diesel refueling on site.

I drive a 65 ton truck up to 1100km 680 miles? a night I think the battery technology has a bit of catching up to do but for short range metro deliveries could work.

I drive a 65 ton truck up to 1100km 680 miles? a night I think the battery technology has a bit of catching up to do but for short range metro deliveries could work.
Battery or other tech (e.g., imagine a plate charger like a cellphone uses in the highway providing power continuously such that you only use the on-board battery for off-highway miles).

Battery or other tech (e.g., imagine a plate charger like a cellphone uses in the highway providing power continuously such that you only use the on-board battery for off-highway miles).
Maybe a catenary system like there trialing in Germany it’s the only thing that would be able to deliver the power required a few miles of overhead lines to recharge on the move

Well. If you can get the range to drive through a full legal shift then the charging can be done during down time where the operator is legally mandated to sit on his or her arse.

I doubt we'll ever see one with that kind of nonstop range though, and of course it will need to be able to do this range even after battery capacity is lost through age/use. Otherwise the second they can't drive the whole day they are going to lose money and have to scrap the battery.

Don't want to even try figuring how much power is needed for that.

The on the go charging solution might be the whole viable part. Of course at first it'll at best be limited to major highways crossing the country.

Back