diy solar

diy solar

Electric Snowmobile trailer/charger

Freep

Solar Enthusiast
My wife has put a deposit on an electric snowmobile and I'm planning on buying a trailer for it and creating a solar powered/alternator powered charging station in it with it's own battery bank in the trailer. Here's the company.

Anyone have any experience with level 1 or level 2 charging from a solar/battery setup?

Per the FAQ:

14hr L1 charging. Batteries are 20-25kWh capacity.

Assume 16A charging @ 120V. You need a system capable of supplying at least 16*120 = 1,920W continuously unless the charger can be programmed to pull less current.

Assuming you can fit 1000W of solar on the trailer with very good sun with all day exposure (doubt this is the case if you're in snowmobile weather), it would take 4-5 days to charge from empty. Probably plan for 7-10 days.

With a 20-25kWh battery, that gives you an idea of how big your inverter battery system needs to be. Is it sized to allow the battery to be full or partially charged? A 22kWh DIY lithium battery will run you ~$3500. $1000 for an AiO and associated wiring and stuff, and $500-1000 for 1000W of solar. Looking at about $5500 for a system that can recharge the snowmobile once from battery and again every 7-10 days non-optimal solar conditions.

You would also likely need to mount panels on the side of the trailer to catch winter sun in the opposite hemisphere. Flat panels on the roof will perform horribly.

Yeah I'd definitely have the panels tilted and probably even have additional panels to deploy on the ground. There's also charging from the alternator of the truck and potentially from the generator in the camper.

We typically don't stay in one place for more than 2 days so we would want to show up with the snowmobile fully charged as well as the battery bank in the trailer.

Back