diy solar

diy solar

Enphase wiring and cables

Siamac

Hi everyone. I'm a beginner needing help. Setting up a DC system seems pretty straightforward, but I can't figure out how to wire an enphase system. It's not very DIY friendly to wire it

Seems like it has a proprietary wiring system. Where can I get the cables? Is there a cheap way to wire them? And what are the rules for running wires from the array to the subpanel?

For a DC system, I would just run PV cables (10 AWG usually , but I used 8 AWG just to be extra safe) from the array to the inverter then wire the inverter to the panel with 6 AWG wires. I already have a combiner box. I just need to wire them together and run it to the combiner box.

Any ideas? Any links of where to order the Q cables?

Looks like Enphase sells direct and with a google search several solar suppliers came up. Cables are available for Portrait or Landscape, 60 & 72 cell panels.

With Enphase you will need a communication gateway. Either by itself or integrated into combiner box if there are going to be multiple strings.

Thanks. But I don't understand their nomenclature. Let's say I have 11 microinverters. Do I buy 11 IQ cables? Aren't they supposed to be all continuous on one line? Do I have to wire each separately?

Each cable is like a 10' extension cord with a plug to the inverter in the center.
After you plug the 11 inverters in, you attach the cables to each other to make one long cord going to all 11.

Each cable is like a 10' extension cord with a plug to the inverter in the center.
After you plug the 11 inverters in, you attach the cables to each other to make one long cord going to all 11.
Oh, kind of like PV cables. But why are they 12 AWG? That's just cheap

And what do you do with the ends? How do you run it to the combiner?

My IQ8+ each put out 1.21 amps x 11 = 13.31 amps, 12 AWG is plenty.
The ends go into the combiner box.
I have two strings of 9 panels.
This then goes into my main panel.

I am confused, Enphase microinverters put out AC power downstream of each Microinverter, the factory cable just connects multiple inverters 240V outputs in parallel. The limit of the number of inverters on each cable is effectively the amperage rating of the cable. Is the OPs intent is to run the 240V AC to some black box and convert it to DC?

And what do you do with the ends? How do you run it to the combiner?

One end needs a cap. As mentioned the other end eventually goes to the combiner. Once I got use to the cable process, the other wiring was simpler. It's AC and does not need to be in metal conduit like DC conductors.

I am confused, Enphase microinverters put out AC power downstream of each Microinverter, the factory cable just connects multiple inverters 240V outputs in parallel. The limit of the number of inverters on each cable is effectively the amperage rating of the cable. Is the OPs intent is to run the 240V AC to some black box and convert it to DC?
No. Just basic wiring. With regular panels when you combine one to the next without a splitter , that's a series

One end needs a cap. As mentioned the other end eventually goes to the combiner. Once I got use to the cable process, the other wiring was simpler. It's AC and does not need to be in metal conduit like DC conductors.
So I don't need conduit? Just run the wires open?
But DC PV cables can be open too

So I don't need conduit? Just run the wires open?
But DC PV cables can be open too
The Enphase cables that are under the panels and always shaded are rated for outdoor use. Generally there is J box on the roof next to the last panel where the Enphase cable gets converted to THHN in conduit going down to the Enphase Combiner box.

Take the online course at Enphase which allows you to be a certified installer for your own system. Took me 7 hours and was much easier than I anticipated The system will make much more sense after the course

Back