diy solar

diy solar

Epever 0 amp issue

Gravelproof

Hi all,
I have an Epever Tracer AN 20A MPPT controller, and yesterday after adding another panel into my grid (now 4 x 100W) I noticed something odd..
The panels were in series putting out about 95V which I know is close to the 100V max but hadn't quite reached it, but I saw that the amps on the controller had dropped to 0.
You can see from the graph below that it didn't drop the amps at max power, but later on.
I went and reconfigured the panels into a 2 series in parallel, and reconnected the panels, and saw that it was showing around 36V and ~4A... after an hour I checked again and saw that again it had dropped to 0A.
I turned the panel off and back on again, and it jumped back up to 2A or so...
In the past I have had issues where I have had things plugged in for a long time and the batteries have drained and I always assumed that it was because I wasn't generating enough power. Now I wonder if this issue with the controller has been happening for a while. For some reason it will sometimes just drop to 0A.
And it is not that there isn't any load on the system.
In one case I was pulling 45W and it wasn't providing anything till I disconnected the panel input and reconnected it.

Can see here this log from the Venus OS that is logging the Epever data. It was sunny with no shade during all those gaps by the way.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 10.23.38.png

Is this an issue with the Epever controller and I am best getting rid of it, or is it a nuance that I need to resolve that might be related to something else in my system and swapping out the controller won't really help?

The controller is charging a 100Ah Lifepo made by Ecoworthy, and the load is a Renogy 1000W Inverter, there is a Victron Smart Shunt and Smart Battery Protect in there too.

Maybe a problem panel. Run two panels, see if you get the same problem on each pair.
Also, I'm guessing 95v is working voltage. If 100v is Max, you may have exceeded 100v with Voc.

Why would a problem panel cause an issue that then goes away when I disconnect/reconnect the string?
If I exceeded the Voc then is it likely that the controller is damaged? It is still working now, and it worked after the peak, just seemed to be throwing a fit in the afternoon. Possibly an overheat issue due to that limit being reached?
Its not as sunny today..

What was the battery voltage while 0amps were happening? What loads were attached to the inverter?

It's possible the epever was transitioning into float.

What are your settings?

Why would a problem panel cause an issue that then goes away when I disconnect/reconnect the string?
Electronics are funny that way. Works intermittently, power cycle (disconnect/reconnect) clears fault until it happens again, etc.
If I exceeded the Voc then is it likely that the controller is damaged?
Could be. A slight over voltage could cause some damage, and not complete failure. Maybe problem only shows up near max working limits.

Just suggesting things to test before you declare it broken and ask for warranty fix or replace it.

Regarding working at max voltage and heat problem: heat is more a function of current. Max voltage is power breaking through where it shouldn't. I view voltage as force, and current as flow. It is the flow over time that can result in heat. The pressure can break things.

Last edited:
The Epever search for maximum solar power sometimes gets confused, as you have found , disconnecting and reconnecting the panels can temporarily solve the problem. 400 watts of solar is over paneled so combined with high volts may have upset the unit.
However you are seeing the common fault where the control process 'gets lost'.
Treat yourself to a Victron Smart 100/30 or 150/35 if you want to use the 4 panels in series.

Sell the Epever on eBay or give it to someone who is not your friend.

Mike

If I exceeded the Voc then is it likely that the controller is damaged? It is still working now, and it worked after the peak, just seemed to be throwing a fit in the afternoon. Possibly an overheat issue due to that limit being reached?
Its not as sunny today..
your battery lithium battery?..lithium battery connected SCC behaves so...when the pack is full...

2nd option is bad connection/partial contact likely in the panels...or scc to battery...check everything thoroughly, breakers too.

3rd option, is the scc is damaged from exceeding the Voc

Battery was at 90% with a 45W load when this was happening, I don't think it was in float.

Its a Lifepo4 battery, pack wasn't full. Today I haven't been into the shed to 'restart' it by disconnecting and reconnecting and its been sat at 0 amps all day.

Maybe I will just drive the solar into my Ecoflow backup battery. (I have a 3 way switch A / B / A+B)
If the ecoflow is taking it just fine I would assume that its an issue with the Epever and just bite the bullet and get a victron. Despite spending HOURS getting the data logging from that into my Venus OS RPi..... sigh..

Back